Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any Michigan guys have a good boat mechanic they can recommend ?

powderjay

Need to do a few things the the Echelon over the winter to make her a little more reliable. Don't trust the dealer and am not crazy about their labor rates. So if you know someone feel free to pass me some contact info. TIA.

@Powderjay: what needs to be done and what are your reliability concerns? I can't make a recommendation from experience as I do all my own work but I will caution you to make sure you find a mechanic that understands the difference between automotive and marine if you cast a wide net. There are several options in the Detroit metro area as you have all three major tourney boat dealers quite close to you, don't limit to just the 'Bu dealer if you are not comfortable with them, you have many choices although I would bet the labor rates will be pretty competitive across the dealer options. From the powertrain side, assuming you have a Mercruiser any Merc. dealer can handle that part. Lakefront Magazine (oaklandlakefront.com) has ads for many marine repair options.

Edited by Woodski

@Powderjay: what needs to be done and what are your reliability concerns? I can't make a recommendation from experience as I do all my own work but I will caution you to make sure you find a mechanic that understands the difference between automotive and marine if you cast a wide net. There are several options in the Detroit metro area as you have all three major tourney boat dealers quite close to you, don't limit to just the 'Bu dealer if you are not comfortable with them, you have many choices although I would bet the labor rates will be pretty competitive across the dealer options. From the powertrain side, assuming you have a Mercruiser any Merc. dealer can handle that part. Lakefront Magazine (oaklandlakefront.com) has ads for many marine repair options.

Had a lot of issues with the old bu this season and the wife refuses to ride until things are sorted.

- Vapor lock symptoms after heat soak

- does not like long trips in no wake zones... will sputter and stall

- hard start when hot.

I've replaced ignition coil, cap, wires. new fuel filter, and a battery cable.

Fuel pressure was good when tested.

Need someone who can check all the grounds, check fuel tank valve (??) and anything else that can get this thing up to speed!!

@PowderJay: your description of the symptoms sound very much carb related. Sounds like when hot or on an extended idle there is little fuel being fed to the intake. I would suggest a carb rebuild as the symptoms sound like some debris in the idle jets and probably in the bowls also. A new accelerator pump would probably help the vapor lock issue and you might also wrap the fuel lines with some insulation. I assume a Mercruiser and if yes, your carb should be a Weber which is pretty much the same as a Carter AFB or an Edelbrock carb. The Mercs normally don't need to have the lines insulated so in my experience it is a carb issue. With those symptoms, you could simply remove the carb and take it to a good "old school" mechanic since he/she will need carb experience. Actually, that carb is pretty easy to rebuild. You suggest the fuel tank valve but if that was sticking you would notice an issue at speed on an extended run.

• Like 2

he is also using Star Tron in his fuel, at least the last several tank fulls

and I believe he is using marina fuel (no ethanol) in his last couple of tank fulls

I suggested he take his back 2 of 4 cup holders at the back of the engine cover and switch to vents like I did.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/136-malibu-echelon-closed-bow/?tab=mods&mod_id=165#

but he mentioned to me that he has already opened up some bigger holes in the cup holders to let out some heat

i also ran one of the exhaust blowers directly on the fuel canister up on the top port rear of the motor to keep it cool on my Echelon Big Block and suggested that to him as well.

I never asked him what thermostat was in the boat, or better yet, what temperature the boat runs at, mine ran at 150 to 160 as a norm. with the 145 temp thermostat in it

Edited by JB-FOOT

@PowderJay: first, I hope you enjoy the big block, should have tons of grunt. Since an EFI system, obviously my carb comments aren't specifically relevant although thinking about that system, perhaps the MAP sensor needs attention and any electrical connection for the fuel side needs to be inspected. I think those systems are sensitive to fuel pressure, sounds like you checked that and temperature as JB posted. As previously noted, a good mechanic versed in 454 EFI systems should be able to troubleshoot your issues, there are several speed shops that specialize in big block repairs in and around SE Michigan if you don't want to cross the state to the Edge which appears to do excellent work. They might be able to provide some good over the phone advice if they have seen something similar. I would also target people on this type of forum that run boats with the big block, specifically the barefoot gang.

@inlandlaker: Yes, SE Michigan resident, and even got out for a run yesterday between the rain drops, 52 deg water.

@JB-Foot: I like your center cup vents, good idea. I did a similar thing with mine, they actually are cold air tubes up to the spark arrestor that has a home made shroud so I always supply the engine with air at ambient temps (since hot air rises and collects at the top of the engine box, exactly where the spark arrestor resides.

I had the Edge do some work for me a few years ago, back in '09 when I first got my Echelon. This was after I did new upholstery and a fresh wetsand & buff. I arrived to pick it up and they had it in the showroom with a few other new boats. I thought it was so cool. They loved the condition that it was in and how it deserved to be in the showroom, how they loved those old Echelons, etc. etc. From what I recall about your boat Powderjay, yours will get similar treatment - it's a classic and those guys will likely value it highly, like finding a long lost cousin. They used to be a Malibu dealer for a long time until they moved over to MB (I think).

Got a call into mike at the edge.. thanks for the tips boys we will see how things go. Need to make this boat wife proof before next season. Right now she won't go on it as she see's it as unreliable.

Got a call into mike at the edge.. thanks for the tips boys we will see how things go. Need to make this boat wife proof before next season. Right now she won't go on it as she see's it as unreliable.

You know, there are guys (certainly not me) that would pay good money to learn how to make their boat "unreliable" (sorry Ladies, just couldn't resist it - I'll let you know how hard a smack I get if my bride reads this)

With the type of problem you're having a Malibu dealer that may have dealt with this problem before is probably the best path to take. I know a lot of people hate to hear the "M" word but in your area Action Water Sports is pretty hard to beat for talent. I take my boat to them for anything I won't tackle myself. They're always busy, very professional and actually do the required training to maintain their dealership certifications. I will warn you they're not cheap by any measure but good typically isn't.

• 3 months later...