Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter LXI

southwick07

Hey All. New to the group, but not yet a Malibu owner. I'm hoping to be official soon, with my heart set on a Sunsetter LXI (99-2004). I found a boat I'm going to go take a look at, but would welcome any feedback. The price seems very good. Here is the link: https://dallas.craig...5237655687.html

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions I should ask during the process. I'm hoping to go see it in the next few days. One particular question: the owner says the engine is a 310, but in my research that is the vortec and is not EFI. He says it's EFI (it even says so on the glass). Can anyone confirm the engine model from the images? Thanks a ton.

That boat looks great, and the price seems right to me.

Boats that old are either trashed or kept super clean. That one looks to be the latter.

Fuel Injected, for sure....you can see the fuel rails. 310 had a carb. It's a Monsoon, and Monsoons of that era are generally considered bullet proof.

By the way, if your heart is set on a SSLXi of that vintage, you better move relatively quick on it....they are a little difficult to find, especially in that kind of shape. If this were a couple months from now, I would be on my way to Texas to tow that thing home myself.

Any other questions, just let me know. I had one for 10 years and know that boat pretty well.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 3

I've got a 2002 model SSLxi and it is a fantastic boat. Always brings a smile to my face when driving it. Like RTS said she's got a fuel injected Indmar Monsoon motor. The boats looks well looked after.

Edited by brad72

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I had another question come up: the boat seems to have pretty low hours for a 14 year old boat. The hour gauge is on the perfect pass display. Is this gauge generally an accurate measurement for engine hours? Is there another way to measure hours?

I have a 2000 model SSLxi that is almost 100% identical to that, but mine has a tower. Price seems to be right and looks like it has been taken care of. I live in Fort Worth, so if you need anything just send a PM.

• Like 1

For that engine, the only thing I would be worried about is the compression. Everything else (within reason) can be taken care of with a few hundred bucks worth of parts and a few hours turning wrenches in the driveway....including sending out the injectors for cleaning if they are clogging up. I wouldn't sweat the low hours.

I think that engine should be a monsoon 325. Same as I have and I think the 310 was carb and the efi is 325. Looks really nice. Good luck

Edited by saburkhart

I hope you are already in your truck on the way down to pick this boat up. It's not going to last long as those are a very sought after model. Same year as the one I have and I absolutely LOVE it! The price is right and it looks to be in great shape. As others have said do a compression test and if/when it passes, hook it up and head home.

FYI, Yes that is an Monsoon 325hp EFI. Great engine.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions I can help with.

• Like 2

I have that same boat. Right down to the colors! Pictures aren't the greatest resolution but it looks in really good shape. Definitely an EFI engine. That's a great price especially considering the hours and condition. No way I'd sell you mine for that price. May want to upgrade the PerfectPass to the new GPS model.

I'm looking for an LXi too. If that was nearer to me it would be a done deal.

Good luck,

Steve B.

Some are still out there if the ads are still correct.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?location=54940&maxDist=50000&region_us=1&search_string=sunsetter+lxi&keytype=adv&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=boo&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&minYear=min&maxYear=max

Headed down on Friday to check it out/purchase. Meeting at the local Malibu dealer where they will run compression and check the hours. Thanks for all the feedback...what a cool community. I'll let you know.

Yep, buy it. You won't regret it. Doesn't appear to have a wedge though?

No wedge but it does have the brackets/mount for it. After a little research it looks like I can get one installed for a reasonable cost.

ahopkins22LSV

Headed down on Friday to check it out/purchase. Meeting at the local Malibu dealer where they will run compression and check the hours. Thanks for all the feedback...what a cool community. I'll let you know.

Awesome! Hopefully everything checks out for you. Looks like a very nice boat. I ski one regularly and it is a great wake.

No wedge but it does have the brackets/mount for it. After a little research it looks like I can get one installed for a reasonable cost.

The bracket install is the hardest part, you can bolt on the wedge yourself no problem.

Good luck on Friday, hope it works out for you!

• Like 1

The bracket is the important thing...if you think you'll need a wedge. You can install one yourself. Personally, I took mine off after I bought the boat and put it back on 10 years later when I sold it.

Good luck wiht the purchase, and since you will be at the dealership getting a compression check, I'd also ask them to check out the HDS...

Edit....I missed the previous post.

Edited by RTS

I bought a 99 Sunsettler LXI last year (based on the advice received in this forum and elsewhere) and absolutely love it. Great wake, great tracking, great room for family (I have 3 kids). All around a terrific boat.

• Like 2

Glad to hear it has the bracket already. The wedge is crucial with that hull if you want to wakeboard or surf with it. Good luck with the purchase. Once you buy it, come back here and we will help you spend a whole bunch more of your money. :biggrin:

I did look at that one. Check out the condition of the bottom.

I do have a line on one in NC !

Steve B.