Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picture of bow tank on 09-14 VLX

isellacuras

Does anyone have a picture of the bow tank, exposed, with the cover off? I want to stuff some lead in front of, and around the tank, under the plastic cover under the seats. My guess is that an LSV and VTX would be set up similar so a pic of those should work too. I use tire weights so they are not quite as slim and compact as the lead wake or pop bags.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I can. I have about 200# of old used tire weights. My plan is to stuff some in some old gym socks and wrap them up in duct tape like some drug bundles. I'm hoping to get 100-150# in there. I don't think it will affect towing that much but will just be a little supplement to the stock tank. I took my bow tank cover off yesterday. Looks like I can get a few bundles in there pretty easily. This will prolly be a late winter/early spring project.

I'll tell you that if you try to load the boat with the bow tank full in a VTX that it really sucks. I'd do a test with your tank holding the amount of static weight you are going to add and see what happens.

I made a mistake when I had my tank out and connected the drain pump and level sender connectors to the wrong connectors and it took a couple times out to figure out why the boat was such a pain to load. Turned out that I was hauling around a bow tank mostly full.

Edited by oldjeep

Seems like you would add a lot of tounge weight to your hitch. My hitch is 350 lbs max tounge and i believe my vlx is pretty close as is. It would be a bit of a pain to unload and load onto the trailer for me. I dont power load so hat may be why.

Seems like you would add a lot of tounge weight to your hitch. My hitch is 350 lbs max tounge and i believe my vlx is pretty close as is. It would be a bit of a pain to unload and load onto the trailer for me. I dont power load so hat may be why.

Yeesh, at 350lb limit for tongue weight you are definitely over if the trailer is set up right - 10-15% of total weight is the normal rule. Can you upgrade the tiny hitch on whatever you are towing with?

Edited by oldjeep

Not that i know of. I tow with an 06 honda pilot.

Might want to weigh your tongue before you start dumping more weight on it.

Scroll down and they have a way to do it with a bathroom scale and a couple blocks of wood.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

In any event isn't that pilot only rated to tow 3500lbs without a WDH?

Edited by oldjeep