Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dreaded MTC touch screen issues 2011 Lsv 247

ahopkins22LSV

So how do you disable code? Does using the key to start the boat require the disabling of the code?

There is an option at the code screen right under the 4 number buttons. I believe you push that then enter your code and then it is disabled.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Alright crew hopefully a few of you can give me options on where to purchase a new screen. I have heard Marine outfitters as one source but I would like multiple sources to compare their pricing. I have put this off far to long and need to get it replaced before springtime gets here. Shoot away with sources to contact and I appreciate any options thrown my way! :)

The manufacturer is Medallion and the marine rep is Scott Frye. 1-800-828-8127.

I've tried several times now to get a hold of him but he fails to respond. That must be the preferred customer relations MO, ignore till they go away.

Thanks for the info jgates! I tried to call medallion the end of last season and left my message, info, and number. It is now 4 months later and of course I haven't heard anything back from them. I will try to call again today and see if I have any lucky. I haven't bought the keyed backup kit yet but yes I believe they sell them from Smoothwater sports. I will probably end up doing this as well to give myself peace of mind out on the water. Last thing I want is to have to be towed back again because of a non-responsive medallion/MTC screen.

What would it take to classify it as a recall?

At a minimum, them to at least acknowledge us! Beyond that perhaps some groveling and incentive.

You would think that this can't be too expensive of an issue to address. I would love for them to at least reply to one of us. I mean, we're all good guys, aren't we?

This is like the complete opposite of the thread in the General Discussion section where Clubby asked if Bake's is still in operation? The Bake's rep takes the time to respond in detail about their inability to get a hold of Clubby (in Australia) whereas for some of us trying to get a hold of Medallion, all we get is crickets. Granted two different types of business but both still have a customer satisfaction requirement.

Maybe Bake's can help us?

the problem with the key backup is that you still lose the ability to control your ballast. It will get you off the water and back to your trailer, but wont "fix" the issue of a broken MTC.

I called Pete at Smoothwater yesterday. He said he can help out those of us that are in need of installing a key back-up system. Not sure of the price just yet, that info is forthcoming. Install is supposedly fairly reasonable.

Thanks for the info jgates! I tried to call medallion the end of last season and left my message, info, and number. It is now 4 months later and of course I haven't heard anything back from them. I will try to call again today and see if I have any lucky. I haven't bought the keyed backup kit yet but yes I believe they sell them from Smoothwater sports. I will probably end up doing this as well to give myself peace of mind out on the water. Last thing I want is to have to be towed back again because of a non-responsive medallion/MTC screen.

I'm not really familiar with Medallion. Do they do sell retail or are only a supplier for companies like Malibu?

the problem with the key backup is that you still lose the ability to control your ballast. It will get you off the water and back to your trailer, but wont "fix" the issue of a broken MTC.

Good point, but wouldn't you experience the same issue with your 2014 if your ballast screen failed?

I'm not really familiar with Medallion. Do they do sell retail or are only a supplier for companies like Malibu?

I believe they are the supplier for Malibu which is probably why they don't respond to people's request for assistance. The Medallion home page reflects the various companies their products are a part of, Malibu, BRP, Freight-liner etc.

Thinking the only way to get some feedback from them would be through Malibu who I'm guessing wouldn't be too enthused about going to bat for a system out of warranty and with a supplier who builds for their current production line. Any thoughts on an approach other than sucking it up?

ahopkins22LSV

Don't quote me for sure on this, but I believe you wouldn't be totally hosed on having a boat full of ballast if the screen goes out. Under the dash there is a fuse bank that you can switch the fuse to over-ride the screen and run which ever function that fuse controls. I know on ours I can still run the blower, bilge, lights, ect. But I don't have ballast, so I can't confirm that. It would be a total PIA to fill and drain ballast that way, but it should work.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Great points everyone and I think this topic has definitely affected enough of us that there should some type of recall issue. I find it a hard pill to swallow when I spend 75K on a boat and then two years into ownership my MTC screen goes out and have to cough up $1,800 dollars for. Medallion is definitely a huge supplier for multiple industries so they aren't going to talk to the end consumer if they dont have to. It is Malibu's product so really I feel like malibu should step up to the plate and offer consumers having issues a fix, discount screens, or at the very least provide a statement acknowledging that there is an issue with earlier MTC screens.

I have an MTC too?

No the ballast controls. On the 2014, you have separate ignition button, but your ballasts are controlled by the touch screen are they not? I'm saying, if that fails, you'll be stuck with full ballasts as well.

No the ballast controls. On the 2014, you have separate ignition button, but your ballasts are controlled by the touch screen are they not? I'm saying, if that fails, you'll be stuck with full ballasts as well.

yes, that's right. You'd have to individually hotwire your drain pumps.

Just go easy on her. One thing people forget about the touchscreens is that they do not need to be "pressed harder". Oh and keep it out of the sun!

Mine has held up so far (170 hrs) without issues (fingers crossed). I just want the option to fire up the boat if that screen does quit.

Edited by saxton15