Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter projects for your 'BU or Axis?

JeffK

Since some of us are winterizing shortly, thought I'd start the winter project thread and see what everyone is up to. We are building a garage at the house to keep the 'BU closer to home in the winter months and to do project work (not to mention some garage boating in the heater garage). In no particular order and probably way over zealous....

1) Rework the amp board to get a cleaner and more protected look for the amps and wires

2) Revision 2 of the sub box. First one turned out good, but think I can get it even better

3) Permanently mount my additional front ballast switch. Plumbed in the reversible pump and hoses, but put the switch in a project box that sits in the side storage behind the throttle

4) Look at building a seat base that can be raised by actuator. Plans coming soon

5) Build a nicer spot to mount and contain the WS-420eq

As a side note/suggestion for someone... I am still in love with the insert letters made by domed numbers for the wakesetter logos. Completely changes the look of the boat. The logos were blending in with the dark color and hard to see. If you are looking to freshen up the look or add some additional color, what a great way to do it. I know it sounds like a shameless plug, and it is. I don't work for them or get anything out of it. Back in the dealership days, we ordered tons of letters and graphics from them and they were incredibly professional and their quality was top notch. Andy and team are just all around great people. You can see how it turned out on my boat here: http://shop.domednumbers.com/

Hot Water shower, Front Docking LED's Lights, ( Hinted this for Christmas) Center removable Board rack for hauling Wake & Surfboards in My boat,

Since some of us are winterizing shortly, thought I'd start the winter project thread and see what everyone is up to. We are building a garage at the house to keep the 'BU closer to home in the winter months and to do project work (not to mention some garage boating in the heater garage). In no particular order and probably way over zealous....

1) Rework the amp board to get a cleaner and more protected look for the amps and wires

2) Revision 2 of the sub box. First one turned out good, but think I can get it even better

3) Permanently mount my additional front ballast switch. Plumbed in the reversible pump and hoses, but put the switch in a project box that sits in the side storage behind the throttle

4) Look at building a seat base that can be raised by actuator. Plans coming soon

As a side note/suggestion for someone... I am still in love with the insert letters made by domed numbers for the wakesetter logos. Completely changes the look of the boat. The logos were blending in with the dark color and hard to see. If you are looking to freshen up the look or add some additional color, what a great way to do it. I know it sounds like a shameless plug, and it is. I don't work for them or get anything out of it. Back in the dealership days, we ordered tons of letters and graphics from them and they were incredibly professional and their quality was top notch. Andy and team are just all around great people. You can see how it turned out on my boat here: http://shop.domednumbers.com/

I had them install the Chrome 2014 on my 15 for that very reason, I just saw the new Dome numbers and those look great!

I've got enough to keep me busy, that's for sure.

Combination of definites/possibilites...

Install seat base riser I got through the group buy.

Install vent setup for rear bags.

Wire stereo onto ACC switch, off the ignition.

Finish my lead bags and install in boat.

Stainless cupholders

Flip over bow light

Pair of Tower Speakers w/ Amp

Fresh Air Exhaust

Gatorstep entire floor

Sub/Amp

Tint windows

Add another pair swivel racks

Yeesh! That's gonna add up quick. :rofl:

Definite projects:

1) Install seat riser

2) Install new sub enclosure

3) Modify rear garage wall for easier fitment of the boat.

Hopeful projects:

4) Install trailer runway lights

5) Install underwater LEDs or drain plug LED

Edited by wedge88

Pulling the rear hard tanks on the Axis and going to run with just Sumo 900s. Hoping to improve drain times.

+1

Pulling hard tanks on my A22. Replacing my fly high 750s with 1100.

If budget allows get the dual drain port 1100s and add reversible pump in addition to stock aerator pumps.

Upholstery issues with my center rear cushion are pushing me toward making a step down plate that will straddle the center rear cushion. It will be made out of a single piece of 3/16 aluminum (thicker if needed to stop the flex) with the corners being rolled so it is essentially a "C" shaped piece that rests on the seat support base under and between the side cushions. I am looking at about 2" of stand off and possibly putting in a cup holder hole or 2 that would double as a hand hold for install/removal. The final covering will be in a grey Seadek unless I go the Gator step route which I am really jonesing for.

These will be before next season projects. Boat in storage 350 miles away

1. Have Bimini modified to hold knee board while on water so to not block storage under gunel on driver side.

2. Design cup holder to go around post. Thinking plexiglass or poly material. Still in the spit balling phase.

3. New HU

4. Buff out underside

5. Seal teak

Edited by jrvs23

Pulling the rear hard tanks on the Axis and going to run with just Sumo 900s. Hoping to improve drain times.

+1

Pulling hard tanks on my A22. Replacing my fly high 750s with 1100.

If budget allows get the dual drain port 1100s and add reversible pump in addition to stock aerator pumps.

IN...for pictures and results. I'd love to speed up fill/drain times.

Upholstery issues with my center rear cushion are pushing me toward making a step down plate that will straddle the center rear cushion. It will be made out of a single piece of 3/16 aluminum (thicker if needed to stop the flex) with the corners being rolled so it is essentially a "C" shaped piece that rests on the seat support base under and between the side cushions. I am looking at about 2" of stand off and possibly putting in a cup holder hole or 2 that would double as a hand hold for install/removal. The final covering will be in a grey Seadek unless I go the Gator step route which I am really jonesing for.

IN....for pictures and results. I too have been thinking about coming up with something to place over my rear center cushion to disperse the weight when people step down on it.

I was thinking of removing the skins on my rear seat to see how I could add something, or use a different foam for the seats to make them less damage able. Not sure what could be done as I have never had the skin off but thought I'd look anyway.

I also want to plumb in ballast bags. For sure a center ski locker bag to aid when we ski and wakeboard with the wedge.

I too was thinking of a step cover fir my center sunscape cushion. I thought about leaving the cushion out and building a box to take its place. It could also serve as a storage too.

• 2 weeks later...

Will do:

Ride once a month through winter.

install amp for cabin and bow speakers

Do a rain and snow dance

take boat in for few little warranty fixes before it expires

Should and want to do but probably wont:

install bunji169 cup holder led rings (stuff has been sitting on my shelf since last winter)

maaaaaybe plumb in ballast. (prolly not gonna happen this winter with all the other stuff going on)

Rebuilding the sub box after the heater leaked this summer.

Received a replacement Piranaha 800 pump ($45 on Amazon) for the midship drain pump that died this year.

Picked up an 87 Jetski with a new engine a couple weeks ago. Planning on a couple small fiberglass repairs, a new AGM battery, & paint to match the golf cart that will be used to tow it.

• 1 month later...

Boat projects 2015/16

Trailer Bearing repacking
Bolster seat mod - via Donald's thread
New head unit and wired remote in glove box
Underwater lights - LF6's look like a good option right now based on small amount of research
New Tower? - Currently have the Skylon Tuna Tower. Not that interested in a TII or TIII tho (!!). I think I just want a Skylon swoop tower so my center windshield doesn't hit when opening and for a more sleek look.
Tower speakers/amp - or may just try a cheap waterproof headset first.

Edit: Updated Tower discussions

Edited by Indebound

Sounds similar to my plans! I am just finishing #1 (will post pics when done) however, I have to tackle v1 of #2.. Have you made any progress here yet? Would really appreciate any details you have...definitely going to need some help on this one! I just finished #5. Replaced the dry box - pic below for reference. Thx!

post-31175-0-05843600-1451355792_thumb.j

Edited by NCSurfing
  • 2 weeks later...

For sure:

Install 2 more tower speakers (like the look of the factory Aplha's so 2 more) + another amp

Install EQ. Was just going to do Bluetooth but dealer just showed me an EQ that has it so doing that instead

2 rear seat skins (warranty)

Fix a small tear in bow cushion (non warranty)

Seat gas strut replacement (warranty)

New tires and wheels - swapping out the Gear Alloy wheels that I can't seem to keep center caps on for Fuel Hostage (to match my tow rig) and new tires.

Impeller / Oil Change

Drink Beer in garage listening to new speakers.

Maybe:

Docking lights. Actually move my rear factory underwater swim deck lights to the front and upgrade rear underwater lights

Interior lights (any great forums on here for cool interior lights? Looking for them to be hidden but bright for night time clean up...functional)

Tower lights

Better Flag Mount - My big American flag in the pic went away with the secondary board racks - trying to fab up mount that works with bimini. Ideas?