Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boating Experience Changes

bbattiste247

Since I bought our a 2016 23 LSV, our on the water experience has changed a lot. When I owned a 2010 247, we always had a large crew of people aboard, and spent a lot of time on the water just hanging out, looking for new coves and swimming. But now, we have cut back considerably. We still go the the lake regularly, but our time on the water is mainly spent surfing. This means less people because I want to surf and let the others have time in the water as well. Also, since my boat is set up to hold a lot of ballast, we don't cruise to various parts of the lake anymore; we just go straight to our regular spot, fill up and surf.

New boat, new experience. :)

Edited by bbattiste247
  • Like 1

Since I bought our a 2016 23 LSV, our on the water experience has changed a lot. When I owned a 2010 247, we always had several people aboard, and spent a lot of time on the water just hanging out, looking for new coves and swimming. But now, we have cut back considerably. We still go the the lake regularly, but our time on the water is mainly spent surfing. This means less people because I want to surf and let the others have time in the water as well. Also, since my boat is set up to hold a lot of ballast, we don't cruise to various parts of the lake anymore; we just go straight to our regular spot, fill up and surf.

New boat, new experience. :):clap::woot:

Awesome! Thats what these boats are built for. If what you do is mostly go to the beach/ cove hang out and swim what do you need an expensive tow boat for?

Thats what we do 95% of the time. We had one big camping trip on the beach. Other then that.......I don't think we went to the beach once. I am proud of the fact that our riding spot is a 5 minute boat ride from the launch and we have put 125 hours on my boat this season. That says a lot.

• Like 3

agreed! we surf all the time now. we never did go to party spot and cove up, but I can echo the keeping the group small. One weekend we had about 8-10 people on board that all would surf. I suddenly realized how long I would have to wait to surf after each set and got annoyed. When we primarily wakeboarded, it was so nice because only a fraction of passengers would wakeboard and the set's were plentiful. Now everyone wants and can surf for long periods.

We've doubled the normal hours we put in a season. Used to be 50-60 in a summer, we are now 110+.

but I do like it. Lots of guests that came out weren't 'watersports' people, but surfing is brining them around. In the past, going out was all about the session to me, but hardly anyone else on board, but now its all about the session to everyone. That's very nice. It's like everyone else is finally catching the addiction they we've all had with board sports for ever.

Edited by augie09

Well, I have 1500 hrs on my sunsetter, and 600 on my lsv.... I average 50 hrs a month... Half wakeboard and half surf... use to do so much more (still start with a bare foot run in the am.... but I lost my slalom, sky ski, wakeskate session due to the amount of surfers on my boat). I totally get the annoyed part while waiting LOL... I get harassed by my other boat owning friends that I don't hang out at beach... but sunshine is riding time :)... and when we go to the beach... its night time and everyone else has left.

• Like 1

We originally bought our boat as a getaway vehicle for a state park commissary heist. The problem was, while my wife was committing unarmed robbery, I was busy filling ballast to see what kind of displacement this sucker had. Needless to say, we fled the scene under our surf setting and were caught once the sheriff's boat could get its bow over our impressive wave. Once we got out of prison, we decided to stop planning heists and just surf.

• Like 3

I enjoy my surf time. On my weekday trips 3 people on the boat. We hit the lake at sunrise and are off around 9, so we can go to work, 2 good sets each and done.

On a weekend I limit riders to 6 max, I prefer 4-5. Five is the sweet spot for me. When we are on the water, someone is riding something. We are not beach party people.

I enjoy my surf time. On my weekday trips 3 people on the boat. We hit the lake at sunrise and are off around 9, so we can go to work, 2 good sets each and done.

On a weekend I limit riders to 6 max, I prefer 4-5. Five is the sweet spot for me. When we are on the water, someone is riding something. We are not beach party people.

With your small crew size, why did you go for the big boat? Do you feel it rides better?

Awesome! Thats what these boats are built for. If what you do is mostly go to the beach/ cove hang out and swim what do you need an expensive tow boat for?

Thats what we do 95% of the time. We had one big camping trip on the beach. Other then that.......I don't think we went to the beach once. I am proud of the fact that our riding spot is a 5 minute boat ride from the launch and we have put 125 hours on my boat this season. That says a lot.

That is awesome man. Sure do want to surf your 23 LSV one of these days... and now i'm lil bit closer to y'all.

• Like 1

Flap,

I don't always get my perfect outing. LOL. We do end up with larger groups sometimes. My wife does not do water sports but loves riding in the boat. I will also say she is an A#1 flag holder! We have a couple other friends like that also, they enjoy watching the people behind the boat, but don't do any riding. I.e. perfect crew members. So on a Saturday with 5 riders we may have 7-8 on the boat.

My wife loves the big bow, but when no one is up there the cabin still accommodates 7-8 comfortably. The 24 MXZ and 23 LSV have the perfect cabin in my opinion. The cabin on these two boats is almost identical layout wise.

It also does handle chop really well, for a wake boat.

I have 3 usage patterns for my boat.

1. My guys and I either early mornings or in the winter. Crew of 3 total is ideal. Get to the lake, take a set on the foil or wakeboard, then get off and go to work or back to family time.

2. Go with the family in the evening or weekends. Bring some snacks, listen to music, do some surfing, tubing or whatever we feel like. Surfing has taken over as the preferred activity this year as the kids have gotten older. The Mrs. Tallred loves to surf. I make it my goal on these trips to keep the Mrs. and little redriderites happy. If I get a set for myself, it is a huge bonus, and often doesn't happen. I am happy with this as long as I have been getting my share of #1 trips of late. Learning to take pleasure in helping family and friends have a good time is good for my character anyway.

3. Weeklong trips to Lake Powell. This is a combination of 1 and 2 but usually with even more people. Morning and evening doing something that requires skill, then daytime tubing, sightseeing, and surfing (that requires little skill ;) ), and another set of skill activities in the evening.

My experience went the other way too. My sister has an old Mastercraft stars and stripes, so when I got the Sunsetter I thought it would be the go to ski boat.

Turns out because of the room and the stereo, it's the party barge mostly.

I have no issues with that, just went in a slightly different direction than I thought.

Steve B.

(still looking for a newer Sunsetter LXi)

The way my boating changed is kind of funny. The old boat was a 01' tige that we ran in salt water 90% of the time.

The new boat is the axis with the salt series package and now we can't stand salt water. We run in salt about 10% of the time now.

• 5 months later...

I don't think there is anything wrong with being COMPLETELY selfish with your water time on your boat (I dont have kids:rockon:). First and foremost the financial responsibility you take on with a boat ( cost of boat, storage, gas, ramp fees, upkeep, all the gear needed... the list goes on and on) is far more than anyone realizes that hasn't owned a boat and if someone doesnt understand why I'm riding first after waiting all week to get on the lake they can just stay on shore. I don't charge admission bc its a toy that I bought, but usually my friends will throw me a $20 for gas which is nice but it still doesnt cover much. Second and almost more significant to me is the time boating requires ( trailering, washing, upkeep).  I just spent 15hrs over the last weekend just detailing my boat (its a 97.. needed some love) and you already know the girls are going to me B*#@%!N when I drop the no suntan/sunscreen bomb on them :lol:

I know its my responsibility so I dont mind baring the burden but when the hull hits the water I dont make any apologies about my ride time. That being said I did buy a boat instead of a sports car/motorcycle so I could enjoy my toy with friends and family instead of just taking Sunday rides by myself on some backroad. 

Sets in the AM, sets in the PM, sometimes a tube mid day. Other than that we switch to the pontoon during the daytime "busy hours" and hit the sandbar for the kids to swim and the adults to mingle since our lake has high traffic. In MI you can ride until an hour after sunset which means that you can go til 10:30pm with glassy water. Anybody left on the lake then is usually booze cruising on a pontoon at idle so you get cheers when you land a nice trick, and bigger cheers when you bite it hard.

Pic related:

great%20grandmas%20birthday%20party%2012

When I bought the boat I had visions of skiing every day during the season. That happens a lot but not every day.

I use my boat for:

1) Early AM and late PM slalom-wakeboard with a small crew and my teenage son.

2) Margarita sunset cruises with just me and my wife (and the dog I guess). Sometimes we cruise to see a concert at the local amphitheater near the public beach.

3) 8-10 teenagers (my kids, their friends and cousins) doing all sorts of watersports at our lake home or at our cottage. Yea, even tubing?

We try to surf but my diamond hull and dd makes it difficult.