Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A caution for winterizing with antifreeze

iliketoski

A thermostat does not just pop open fully at one temp. If it "opens" at 160, it will only just be cracked open and will not fully open till maybe 160 (you can see this with the old put the thermo in a pot of water test). This is intentional, it's how it regulates the engine temperature. When the engine is creating more heat, the thermostat opens more to get rid of it. The heat the engine generates is proportional to the amount of fuel it's burning, so sitting in the driveway idling, it's generating very little heat and the thermostat only has to be barely open to get rid of it.

This is a good point. This has been a good discussion. I was going to try to get out of draining this year, just run antifreeze through the engine. But after the information in this thread, I know I will now do antifreeze and drain. Thanks.

+ a few to those that said the t stat only opens a little. Take one and put it in water over the burner of the stove and put thermometer in the water. At 160 it will just crack open. I think I will pull the t stat on mine and fill from the disconnected hoses instead of sucking it up. Previous year and also on my I/o I just disconnected hoses and drained block. I should say I live in south east so temps will freeze but not by much.

Edited by williemon