Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil change at the end of season or beginning

Yes and if you'll note, my argument from the beginning has been that it DOES NOT take longer to build pressure providing you fill the oil filter. If you don't fill the filter it takes less then 3 seconds to build pressure. So if you wanna believe your engine a favor I suppose it does no harm. :cheers:

While I can't do a full engine teardown, I've been changing oil on inboards for 20+ years, former (lowlevel) shop mechanic, and we've had 14 'bus. What I underlined above, I simply disagree with in my personal experience. I respect that yours is apparently different. In my opinion, starting an engine right after an oil change is wise for many reasons, only one of which is to cycle fresh oil to the internals if you're the kind of person who doesn't like to store with old oil.

I'll raise your beer toast and send some pinot your way! :wine:

I'd like to inquire if it is better to put the boat away empty or full of gas? I've always stored my boats empty.

Traditionally you should store full. That was when metal tanks were used and you could get condensation on the inside walls easily. Now, consensus is no big deal on plastic tanks. In a humid environment, it still occurs to me its better to be full than empty to cut down on the amount of air that can condense. But apparently I'm overly concerned about everything.

• Like 3

Traditionally you should store full. That was when metal tanks were used and you could get condensation on the inside walls easily. Now, consensus is no big deal on plastic tanks. In a humid environment, it still occurs to me its better to be full than empty to cut down on the amount of air that can condense. But apparently I'm overly concerned about everything.

No, I am with you on this. Especially for outdoor storage.

Mine is in a nice tidy garage, I just treat the fuel and leave it where ever it may be.

Can't wait for page 10. do you guys take you wheels off of your trailers as well, so the tires don't flat spot?

No I have about 10 Ft behind my boat so I will roll it back and forth every few weeks!

I'm waiting for the debate on oil weight or syn vs dino to start up...

Ok I will answer that one, Being that we should change our Oil every 40 to 50 Hr's There is really no benefit to using Syn oil, Unless it makes you sleep better at night, Then by all means use it, Now for my Tow rig I will use nothing But then Syn. What I have been told, marine engines don't really get hot enough to burn all the impurity's out of the oil and so that's why they recommend every 40 Hr.'s ( Loaded up and surfing mostly) 50 Hr's wakeboarding/Skiing, Now it wont hurt a thing, Just might cost more for no real benefit, Bring on the haters...

• Like 2

Don't see a need to check for leaks. I always look to see the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter. If it did and you did not have leaks before you will be fine.

• Like 1

The day I have a leak after an oil change of any kind, is the day I'm turning in my cars, boat, and man card for a tricycle, canoe, and water wings.

Edited by DIE2SURF
  • Like 2

The day I have a leak after an oil change of any kind, is the day I'm turning in my cars, boat, and man card for a tricycle, canoe, and water wings.

Do you replace the crush washer every time on a car oil change?

I do after every few changes, or sooner if needed. It's a good practice to do it every time, but in 30 years of oil changes on everything from cars to boats to heave equipment, I've never had an issue with reusing them. Granted, replacing every change is certainly cheap insurance...

The indmar manual says to fill the filter halfway with new oil when changing it.

To some extent that advise depends on filter location. For block mounted filters that is about all you can do without spilling when installing. For remote filters there isn't any reason you can't fill them all the way.

• Like 2