Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Hydrofoil Height World Record.

Big Jay D

Wow... looks awesome. ...

I'm not clear on what is meant by "63 frames" though? I do understand it has to do with the hight, is

It to do with the video frames? ?

We use the camera to find the time in the air. Record the trick then count from the time the front wing is first visible to the first thing that touches the water.

The standard used is 30 frames per second. So 63 frames is 2.1 seconds of hang time.

With the time in the air we can find the height using gravity as the velocity. 17' 9" approximately in this case.

The wake does help. It's not used as a ramp but more like a push. The water is moving up from being pushed down my the boat so to speak. So I try to time my wings exit through the meat to the wake for maximum push.

We use the camera to find the time in the air. Record the trick then count from the time the front wing is first visible to the first thing that touches the water.

The standard used is 30 frames per second. So 63 frames is 2.1 seconds of hang time.

With the time in the air we can find the height using gravity as the velocity. 17' 9" approximately in this case.

math makes me feel dizzy

But congrats!

The wake does help. It's not used as a ramp but more like a push. The water is moving up from being pushed down my the boat so to speak. So I try to time my wings exit through the meat to the wake for maximum push.

Would a G23 wake even boost you higher?

Dude, that was fun. Unreal. Across the board too. Loads of big air talent pushing you.

It's not so much a big wake that counts for us, as it is solid water, with very little froth or air in it. The wings really launch you if you can time your jump so the wings exit right on the edge of the wake. It's a progressive cut like on anything else, but we have to dip jump for big air. It's a timing thing. Obviously J's killin it right now!

Heard rumours of this from the PLR crew that was at Apache, nice work Jay!

I think frame counting is what makes the sport unique and also an easy way to gauge improvement/progress.

If you are a goal oriented person you can pick a number and go for it. Most of us are just trying to get into the 50 frame club in our lifetime so 63 is massive.

Is it possible to jump that high without a flip or roll, or is the roll a result of the huge pull?

Anything is possible. But the biggest basic jump I've ever seen is probably around 8' under the foil.

Think of it like the running high jump. Can those athletes hurdle 7' or 8'? Probably not. But they have a way of jumping & literally HURLING their body upwards that gets them over the mark.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky