Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Etiquette with non-Malibu boat owners

toddrparr

It's like babies, no matter how ugly the baby is you can find something nice to say about it. Although I'd have a hard time coming up with a compliment for an epic. Maybe nice trailer?

This made me laugh...........We had my wife's co-worker and her husband and new baby over a few months ago, and I managed to tell them their baby has a really huge head! :Doh:

• Like 3

Reminded me of a good story...

Late July at Torch Lake in Michigan. Famous (infamous) for it's sandbar.

Tied up about 50 yds away is a brand new lime green flake MC X45. beautiful boat. had 6 big tower speakers & literally was filling the entire (mile long) sandbar with great sound.

I strolled over to what I thought was the owner...a 30 something guy in good shape playing the 'hit a stick with a frisbee and knock a cup off of it drinking game' (sorry, not familiar). He also was sporting a classy mastercraft hat, so my keen detective skills alerted me he may be the guy.

I introduced myself and asked if that was his boat. It was and he was very welcoming. He invited me to go check it out (I had to wade through a herd of 20-something cuties) and climbed aboard. I have to say it was NICE. from what I could see completely loaded from factory plus a custom stereo system. 3 12s, 12 8s, 6 towers, 6 amps, couple of huge extra batteries. exceptionally loud and clear sound.

I noticed one surf board in a rack. when I returned I complimented him on his gorgeous boat and asked if they surf, wakeboard, etc...he said he bought the surfboard because he needed at least one thing in the racks. OK. He then continued with "I just hang out at the sandbar. Dude, I have the most expensive boat here!"

after a slight pause I agreed with him and wished him a great day standing at the sandbar and jamming his tunes.

He ruined the MC brand for me forever.

true story

A much better response at the "Dude I have the most expensive boat out here" point would have been: "Oh, sorry about your Richard".

• Like 3

Is a white lie that hard? When someone is fishing for a compliment, it's courtesy to give one. When the wife is fishing for a compliment on her looks, do you say "I didn't marry you for your looks, I like your personality"? Give her the compliment even if she's having a bad hair day. Now, I'm fortunate that I think my wife is beautiful, but even if she wasn't, you'll be darn sure I would still pour out those compliments.

It's a judgement call, but if someone was expecting a compliment on their boat in return, give it to them. Don't be that guy.

• Like 3

It's a judgement call, but if someone was expecting a compliment on their boat in return, give it to them. Don't be that guy.

or will the guy think your' a d bag for attempting to compliment his beat up 1970 john boat with a 5hp mercruiser that he loathes. The transparent compliment can come across condescending.

It might be best to respond with 'yes, its freaking amazing, I bust a nut just thinking about my boat'

edit: I am just playing devils advocate

Edited by augie09

Pretty easy for me. I'm a neewbe to my 2001 and prior to that I have run an 1988 17 foot I/o for 17 years. I've done wakeboarding, slalom, kneeboarding and tube with the old boat all these years. 3.0 liter at that. Humble I am, glad I am, proud I am not. It's a boat. Used. I fixed it cause I bought it broken. The Lord has gifted me with the ability to fix stuff. Those are the points I bring about. In the end, it's all about if you were on the water. Took me close to 20 years to get the bu.

If it floats and runs and might even have a sweet wave that I'd like surf some day. I would lie and tell him his boat looks sweet as well :biggrin: It's not like it was a worn out bayliner.

HEY! I STARTED WITH A SWEET WORN OUT BAYLINER!

I get the "how much did you pay for that" question a lot too Afun. I think it has something to do with me being 30 years old and owning the boat that I do. Most folks probably ask because they think dad bought it for me. I typically just say "it wasnt that bad, they have good deals at my dealer in Hendersonville, you should check them out....TNT watersports"

And I love the "how fast will that thing go?" I always respond with " 23.8 at 75 feet" just to see the look on their face.

If you hang out on OHL where I do I may be one of those old guys that asked you how much you paid.... Lol just kidding. Hell I am not old.

One of the best riders i know rides behind a X45. That said I know a lot of people on Minnetonka that own Bu's because they look "cool" and are great cruising with guest. Basically dont let one bad X45 experience ruin the brand for you as every brand has a daddy's money boat owner!

I also ask about ballast as everyone runs them a bit different (even if their boat is ugly!)

Edited by TC_2006_VLX

Seems to me that it is pretty easy to find something nice to say about any boat that is out on the water. Doesn't seem to me that complimenting his wake was out of line.

A few years back, I bought an old, beat up, 12' aluminum fishing boat. Had some great times on it. Heck, any boat that runs and floats beats being on shore.

• Like 2

I get that a lot, Nice Boat etc. My standard answer if their boat is not to my liking, "Thank you we have a lot of fun with it", End of conversation and no buddy gets hurt, Now if its a nice boat I will let them know it!

I get that a lot, Nice Boat etc. My standard answer if their boat is not to my liking, "Thank you we have a lot of fun with it", End of conversation and no buddy gets hurt, Now if its a nice boat I will let them know it!

That is word for word my reply. :lol:

• Like 1

wow, this thread reeks of douche. it should be easy to complement another guy or gal on their boat, I don't care what it is - they probably worked hard for it and love it for what it is.

In the case of the Epic, I'd have said "Thanks, those Epics are BEASTS!! Have fun out there!"

It would have been honest and complimentary at the same time.

Nah I usually counter with complimenting the guy's mustache or his wife's looks or even how sunburnt his kids are. Seems to keep em guessing.... :whistle:

Nah I usually counter with complimenting the guy's mustache or his wife's looks or even how sunburnt his kids are. Seems to keep em guessing.... :whistle:

LOL,

Wow your wife is smokin' how much did you pay for her?

Seems to me that it is pretty easy to find something nice to say about any boat that is out on the water. Doesn't seem to me that complimenting his wake was out of line.

A few years back, I bought an old, beat up, 12' aluminum fishing boat. Had some great times on it. Heck, any boat that runs and floats beats being on shore.

I struggle with the thought that you can say nice things about any boat. I have definitely seen a few boats out there where the absolute best I can come up with is: "Nice use of duct right there, guy. You rock!"