Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Etiquette with non-Malibu boat owners

toddrparr

We all know our boats are the best looking pieces of machinery floating on the lake on a given day. So my question is, do you lie to others when they complement you on your boat looking good when theirs does not? The back story here, I was launching at the lake last week and a family in an Epic was prepping at the same time we were. It was the first time I have seen one in person and I must say, they are HIDEOUS! So the guy complements me on my boat and I begin to reciprocate, I get as far as, "thanks, your's.....I have heard they put out a great wave." The look on his face kind of said it all, I had offended him. Rather than try and save face I just shut up and got on the water. I feel bad, but I cannot lie, the boat was just ugly. I think next time I will think before I respond and just ask them how they like their boat and not attempt a reciprocal compliment. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep you damn mouth shut!

I usually just ask, " Thanks, so how do you like your <insert brand here>?" That gets the conversation over to their boat without having to face the raw truth that it is substandard compared to your own.

• Like 3

We all know our boats are the best looking pieces of machinery floating on the lake on a given day. So my question is, do you lie to others when they complement you on your boat looking good when theirs does not? The back story here, I was launching at the lake last week and a family in an Epic was prepping at the same time we were. It was the first time I have seen one in person and I must say, they are HIDEOUS! So the guy complements me on my boat and I begin to reciprocate, I get as far as, "thanks, your's.....I have heard they put out a great wave." The look on his face kind of said it all, I had offended him. Rather than try and save face I just shut up and got on the water. I feel bad, but I cannot lie, the boat was just ugly. I think next time I will think before I respond and just ask them how they like their boat and not attempt a reciprocal compliment. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep you damn mouth shut!

I take it he must not have been a watersports guy. If someone were to compliment my wave that would be the best kind of compliment for me.

• Like 3

I am usually guilty of being too honest on issues like "your car," "your new baby," "your taste in women," (OK I leave that one strictly alone), but on the other guy's boat, like wine and scotch, your opinion is just that and his opinion is going to be different. At a time like that it is best to talk about something safe and innocuous like politics or religion or sex instead of how hideous his boat is.

My 2010 247 used to get me in a lot of trouble just with other boaters. One late summer evening, I was launching as others were loading. I waited in line and it didn't take me any longer than usual, but one couple loading flipped me off and and said to f*** off. Another guy followed me to the marina in his junky boat, yelling and screaming at me for nothing, and this went on for about 15 minutes. I realize others are jealous, so I just remain grateful and try to ignore the hecklers.

I hate this moment also. Happened yesterday at boat ramp, from a guy loading his old deck boat on to the trailer. "hey, gorgeous boat", I have a spit second to come up with somethings to say, so "Thank you, Did you have a good day on the water?"

I am going to keep that and NYRyan's response in my back pocket.

The worst questions is 'nice boat, how much did you spend on that?" Also got earlier this week on a small local lake, "Nice boat, do you get to open her up much on this lake?"

My 2010 247 used to get me in a lot of trouble just with other boaters. One late summer evening, I was launching as others were loading. I waited in line and it didn't take me any longer than usual, but one couple loading flipped me off and and said to f*** off. Another guy followed me to the marina in his junky boat, yelling and screaming at me for nothing, and this went on for about 15 minutes. I realize others are jealous, so I just remain grateful and try to ignore the hecklers.

have you omitted the part you call them peasants and say "out of the kings way?"

• Like 4

I usually just ask, " Thanks, so how do you like your <insert brand here>?" That gets the conversation over to their boat without having to face the raw truth that it is substandard compared to your own.

That's exactly how I handle something like that. It shouldn't matter one whit what I think about his boat. What matters is what he thinks about it.

I hate this moment also. Happened yesterday at boat ramp, from a guy loading his old deck boat on to the trailer. "hey, gorgeous boat", I have a spit second to come up with somethings to say, so "Thank you, Did you have a good day on the water?"

I am going to keep that and NYRyan's response in my back pocket.

The worst questions is 'nice boat, how much did you spend on that?" Also got earlier this week on a small local lake, "Nice boat, do you get to open her up much on this lake?"

2 questions I never ask anyone....How much did you pay for that...especially when it's a luxury item and I don't know your a**. The other is...what do you do for a living. When people look at me those questions usually come out. I detest people like this with the passion. I usually stay away from you if this is the case.

All to often is...how much did you pay for that boat?! Why do you ask....? Because I'm much younger than you and your boat/pwc doesn't stack up. It's always the older guys that are very curious. That's been my experience. It happened to me recently.

I get the "how much did you pay for that" question a lot too Afun. I think it has something to do with me being 30 years old and owning the boat that I do. Most folks probably ask because they think dad bought it for me. I typically just say "it wasnt that bad, they have good deals at my dealer in Hendersonville, you should check them out....TNT watersports"

And I love the "how fast will that thing go?" I always respond with " 23.8 at 75 feet" just to see the look on their face.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I strolled over to what I thought was the owner...a 30 something guy in good shape playing the 'hit a stick with a frisbee and knock a cup off of it drinking game' (sorry, not familiar). ...

Game is called Beersbie and it is great!

Reminded me of a good story...

Late July at Torch Lake in Michigan. Famous (infamous) for it's sandbar.

Tied up about 50 yds away is a brand new lime green flake MC X45. beautiful boat. had 6 big tower speakers & literally was filling the entire (mile long) sandbar with great sound.

I strolled over to what I thought was the owner...a 30 something guy in good shape playing the 'hit a stick with a frisbee and knock a cup off of it drinking game' (sorry, not familiar). He also was sporting a classy mastercraft hat, so my keen detective skills alerted me he may be the guy.

I introduced myself and asked if that was his boat. It was and he was very welcoming. He invited me to go check it out (I had to wade through a herd of 20-something cuties) and climbed aboard. I have to say it was NICE. from what I could see completely loaded from factory plus a custom stereo system. 3 12s, 12 8s, 6 towers, 6 amps, couple of huge extra batteries. exceptionally loud and clear sound.

I noticed one surf board in a rack. when I returned I complimented him on his gorgeous boat and asked if they surf, wakeboard, etc...he said he bought the surfboard because he needed at least one thing in the racks. OK. He then continued with "I just hang out at the sandbar. Dude, I have the most expensive boat here!"

after a slight pause I agreed with him and wished him a great day standing at the sandbar and jamming his tunes.

He ruined the MC brand for me forever.

true story

That is NOT hard to believe.

• Like 3