Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Guage Problem

kpracing12

My gauges (fuel oil temp volts) keep moving by themselves. It sounds like they are driven by a motor and are moving around. Also the speedo goes right round and then back again. This happens with the key in the on and off position as well. The only way to stop it is turn the battery key off. Anyone had this happen and if so did you fix it?

Edited by kpracing12

My gauges (fuel oil temp volts) keep moving by themselves. It sounds like they are driven by a motor and are moving around. Also the speedo goes right round and then back again. This happens with the key in the on and off position as well. The only way to stop it is turn the battery key off. Anyone had this happen and if so did you fix it?

My tach did this and it was bad. I replaced the fuel temp bat oil gauge cause they were always off. I have both gauges off an 04 I was going to put in mine but never got around to it. Pm me if you're interested in those

Look up (here and just about any other boating forum) Medallion MDC issues. I've written some many long winded responses on this junk system that I'm sure you'll come across one of them in your search. Very short answer is that the early Medallion gauge system is plagued with a multitude of short comings typically caused by voltage drops and grounding. Add to it a central compute system that self destructs and cheap gauges implemented on a bus data network and you get a low reliability, finicky gauge package. Many people with early versions are converting back to standard gauges. You can find information on this with a google search also.....

Check out this post on the MC forum (that is if you can bare getting knowledge from the MC forum).

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=60338

This guy did a great write up on his experience ripping out the MDC/gauges and installing a new set of mechanical gauges. It's not as bad as it sounds and in the end you end up with a functional, reliable set of gauges. The interesting part was that all but I believe the fuel sender were stock transducers. At least it'll give you options to dropping a couple grand on an MDC, new "digital gauges" and endless hours tracking down voltage drops and marginal ground issues. It should be interesting seeing how the newer boats do with these and even more complex systems with full LCD/LED screen fair as the years pass. Might be an opportunity for a small business doing repairs and conversions.....

I've already gotten rid of the MDC with the analog multi-gauge (well, the dealer I bought from did it). So I have PerfectPass for speed, Malibu tach, and Malibu multi-gauge. I'd really like to have a depth reading without installing a new transducer. Water temp and air temp would be nice too, and all the sensors and wiring are already there...

That one is going to be interesting. If you can figure out who made the transducer and what type it is you may be able to reuse it. I haven't heard of anyone having one actually go bad so reuse would seem very "doable". Maybe someone on here can chime in on who Malibu used for this component. There's not a ton of marine transducer manufactures out there and you may be able to get some idea by any markings that may be on the existing transducer or by matching up the connector. Here's an article on reusing a transducer from 2010 which would be close to the year of your boat you may find worth reading.....

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/new_depth_old_transducer_ducer

That one is going to be interesting. If you can figure out who made the transducer and what type it is you may be able to reuse it. I haven't heard of anyone having one actually go bad so reuse would seem very "doable". Maybe someone on here can chime in on who Malibu used for this component. There's not a ton of marine transducer manufactures out there and you may be able to get some idea by any markings that may be on the existing transducer or by matching up the connector. Here's an article on reusing a transducer from 2010 which would be close to the year of your boat you may find worth reading.....

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/new_depth_old_transducer_ducer

Thanks! Just the post I needed.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if this can be done with the transducer that connects to the Malibu Computron?  In other words, can I purchase a readout/gauge,modify the existing "computron" transducer, and connect them together?

BTW, my Computron stopped working a few trips after I bought the boat (the LET GO syndrome) and I have been unable to find the problem.  Is there a market for Computron parts (that turn on, but do not function properly).

Cliff

1994 Malibu Echelon