Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Drive, tightning packing nut?

I need to tighten the packing nut on my 04 VLX, bildge is really getting full :). I'm having a hard time getting to it because of it's location. Any tricks or tips that could be offered would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Malibu3

;)

Go buy a 1 7/8" open-box end wrench. About $35.00. Cut it in half. Leave just enough on the open-end side to wrap all your fingers around.

Here's my armada of tools for that job.

LS-1 has the best advice with cutting the 1-7/8 wrench. You can usually find them on ebay.

post-29-1152207361_thumb.jpg

Here's my armada of tools for that job.

LS-1 has the best advice with cutting the 1-7/8 wrench. You can usually find them on ebay.

Pete, you forgot one from your box...

post-80-1152207686.jpg

Edited by SacRiverRat

Actually,

I think you need to be "Plastic Man" to get in there and actually adjust that damn thing. I heard that if you remove the "T" where your two ballast pumps are, the job gets a lot easier. I think I'd just pay someone else to do it.

edit: Troy, you're right, I think I used one or two or ten of these...

post-29-1152208203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete
Actually,

I think you need to be "Plastic Man" to get in there and actually adjust that damn thing. I heard that if you remove the "T" where your two ballast pumps are, the job gets a lot easier. I think I'd just pay someone else to do it.

there is a man with too much time on his hands......"let me see if I can gather all my lights and take a picture to show everyone".....damn Pete

Actually,

there is a man with too much time on his hands......"let me see if I can gather all my lights and take a picture to show everyone".....damn Pete

Aww c'mon Ken,

I only had to make one trip to the third floor to get the flashlights out of the night stands. The rest were already in the garage or, in my cars. Just lucky I didn't show the 12ga. with the flashlight attached to it. ROFL.gif

Found a good tool for adjusting the packing nut under your v-drive.

From Do-it Center, a 7" long vice-grip. Has a weird arc shape to it instead of just plier shaped. Flat on one edge and curved on the other edge.

It opens more than wide enough (over 2") and really locks on so no messing around with slipages.

The short handle makes it easy to get in there.

I have one on each nut on oppposite sides and it worked perfectly.

Costs about $7. Buy a few!

Edited by Arkid

ROFL.gif