Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

410 verses 450

Sailvi767

Just ordered a 16 VLX. Still struggling with the engine choice. Ordered the 440 but can downgrade. Those who are running either Ford block can you drop a note with some info? Prop choice and rpm at various speeds would be most appreciated along with performance when the boat is weighted! If I can figure out the engine choice I can go back to just worrying about Diamond verses Wake hull!

G

Edited by Sailvi767

Have not picked colors yet. Need to have it done by Wednesday. Leaning to a Metallic blue main hull with black trim, white topsides and bottom.

Edited by Sailvi767
  • 2 weeks later...

My opinion is 450. I have a 21' with the 410 gm motor and it has good power now that I propped it down. I just took a new 2016 23lsv with the 450 and I was impressed. This new boat has roughly the same stock blast tanks sizes but we had an extra 1100 ballast and the bigger wedge on the 16. I think it is noticeable difference. You can always use less throttle if you have more power but you can't throttle up if you don't have anymore to give. Lol

My opinion is 450. I have a 21' with the 410 gm motor and it has good power now that I propped it down. I just took a new 2016 23lsv with the 450 and I was impressed. This new boat has roughly the same stock blast tanks sizes but we had an extra 1100 ballast and the bigger wedge on the 16. I think it is noticeable difference. You can always use less throttle if you have more power but you can't throttle up if you don't have anymore to give. Lol

what prop was on your demo?

This just says that you compared apples and oranges and prefer oranges.

The OP is asking whether to go with navel oranges or valencia oranges.

(the only thing a GM powered 6.0 and a Ford powered 6.2 have in common is Malibu's "410" designation, a designation which has no particular tie to anything)

This just says that you compared apples and oranges and prefer oranges.

The OP is asking whether to go with navel oranges or valencia oranges.

(the only thing a GM powered 6.0 and a Ford powered 6.2 have in common is Malibu's "410" designation, a designation which has no particular tie to anything)

I am not comparing anything. This 23 is way heavier and all I am saying is that the 450 was pretty impressive to me.

I am not comparing anything. This 23 is way heavier and all I am saying is that the 450 was pretty impressive to me.

Do you remember any numbers with that prop and the 450? Numbers at 30mph and top speed and rpm would be appreciated. The 23 is actually only 200lbs heavier then the 22 so they should be valid for comparison.

G

Well... you said you had a GM 410 and recommended a Ford 450 based on a "noticeable difference". One can infer a comparison (I mean you have to compare two things for there to be a difference, right?).

If you haven't compared the Ford 410 to the Ford 450, I'm saying how can you make a recommendation of the 450 over the 410? Could be that the same "noticeable difference" is there with the Ford 410 over the GM 410, right?

Edited by shawndoggy

Just ordered a 16 VLX. Still struggling with the engine choice. Ordered the 440 but can downgrade. Those who are running either Ford block can you drop a note with some info? Prop choice and rpm at various speeds would be most appreciated along with performance when the boat is weighted! If I can figure out the engine choice I can go back to just worrying about Diamond verses Wake hull!

G

I am sorry I said anything to this question you had. Some people take it the wrong way and look into it to far. Sorry about that.

I think some discussion on the real world comparison 410/450 many would like to know. I'd like some owner experience if the 385hp 405lbs torque in the 410 is much different that the 403hp, 427lbs torque in the 450 for $5000-$6000 diff vs jumping up to the 575.

Edited by catalac
  • Like 2

I think some discussion on the real world comparison 410/450 many would like to know. I'd like some owner experience if the 385hp 405lbs torque in the 410 is much different that the 403hp, 417lbs torque in the 450 for $5000-$6000 diff vs jumping up to the 575.

Why don't you go demo for yourself and report back. There's a reason nobody is posting anything of value on this subject... nobody here knows. These engines are too new.

It's going to take a long time before anybody on this forum can really weigh in on this. It would require back to back demos with exact same boats, props, ballast, etc.

Even then, those specs are so close, I'd imagine we'll be debating if the difference is real or perceived for YEARS to come with no definitive answer.

Why don't you go demo for yourself and report back. There's a reason nobody is posting anything of value on this subject... nobody here knows. These engines are too new.

It's going to take a long time before anybody on this forum can really weigh in on this. It would require back to back demos with exact same boats, props, ballast, etc.

Even then, those specs are so close, I'd imagine we'll be debating if the difference is real or perceived for YEARS to come with no definitive answer.

ha I was thinking that the dealer ought to just bring two ecms... switch em on the fly. would make it way easier to choose which engine, you know?

ha I was thinking that the dealer ought to just bring two ecms... switch em on the fly. would make it way easier to choose which engine, you know?

Laughing...

OP... this post right here ^^^ speaks volumes. Most valuable info in this thread.

Catch my drift?