Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At lake Anna notes!

mainekneeboarder

We have been at lake Anna the last few days and noticed a few very different things!! (1) I can absolutly see how someone could get lost easily! I am fortune-ant (sp?) to have a pretty good sence of direction and can still see it being confusing at nite! My girlfriend has tried to pay attention but is still lost often. Definently a GPS use lake! I am used to a more open/bigger body of water. (2) im a little uneasy of where to surf, its so narrow most everyplace. We have been going to the first bigger Y down by the state park and just above it in that little more open area. We did ski in the narrower areas thou?? (3) wow, tons of wake boats! More then i have ever seen on a lake by far! (4) kinda murky water! It was a little uneasy coming from someplace with pretty clear water to someplace with murky water and alot of critters around?? The big lake we visit in Maine u can see bottom still at 13-15ft deep, and i know whats in the water. Ha. (5) it is so nice to be on vacation!!!

Because of the way they made the lake, there are some hazards below the water. A storm was coming and they flooded the lake before everything was removed.

The upper portions are narrow, but down by the dikes it gets wider, sounds like its a pretty far aways from where you are staying. The marinas should have a map of some of the mapped hazards, The lake has some deep parts in the old river bed, can easily hit 75' on a depth gauge down by the dikes.

What is water temp down there right now?

Anna has two sides....public cold and private warms side.

The private side is a little more tricky with all the different pools... But the public side is fairly easy? Busy now? You should see it on a holiday weekend in the summer lol.

I'll be out on the warm side today in a buddy's red T22... Water is still 86.

We mad it to the power plant? And the first dyke, it does open up down there alot more. Water at campground has been 70ish, 72-73 down lake. I have. Map and have been using Navionics! Very good app and we use it alot for depth hazards, it seems to be pretty accurate. We are just pulling off the dock now (someone disnt think they were going to want thier suit, waiting on them!)

I have the one with three map options, govnt charts, navionics, and sonar. I bought it years ago for like 9.99 and it has always just updated without asking for money upgrade. I really like it!! We are at "no wake zone" restaurant, good lunch food!

Edited by mainekneeboarder
  • 2 weeks later...

Well had a good time at Anna. Logged 95 miles on the Navionics app. and forgot to log the first day, went about the same place the second day as we did the first and it was 24 miles. So about 120 miles on Lake Anna and 15 hours. Had a good time, saw more wake boats then we have ever seen, saw alot of fishing boats. Alot of nice houses, and envy the dock/boat garages, man some of them are nice!! Stopped at "the board walk" Tims? for ice cream. Ate at "No Wake Zone" Sunday and had a very good lunch. Looked for a ski course up beyond that restaurant, by "the rocks?" I had heard about but couldn't find it. Found a Moomba floating in the area I thought it was suppose to be in and he didn't know of one? My girlfriend walked over one of the dykes just to feel the warm side, said it was alot warmer. Her son Did alot of surfing, a little skiing, He hadn't been on the boat for two seasons now. He got his long time girlfriend (now wife) to try surfing, and did ski. We met up with a friend that moved down there 5-6 years ago and he tried surfing for the first time.

Made a mistake of going down 522 all the ways from 81. The GPS wanted us to go a different Rt but we noticed 522 was at the same exit we were getting off and decided we wouldn't mind seeing some of the area rather then go highways. some parts of 522 are very narrow and hilly!! We had seen our fill of farm country by the time we got to the campground.

Wasn't over impressed with Christopher Run campground. We would go back, just wasn't impressed. Tried to call them a few times Wed. afternoon as we knew we were running a bit lake. Couldn't get in touch with anyone. got there about 5-5:30 and the gate was locked. Took us a little bit to notice a number on the gate office, called it and got the code. We knew our lot number anyhow but they had left a note with our name and lot number on the store door. The lot was a bit small and is setup backwards, so the electric and water hookup is on the door/awning side of the camper. This really pi$$ed me off (maybe from lack of sleep going down?) for a few minutes thinking we were going to be walking across electric cord and water hose. Luckily we had extensions and could run the lines around the back of the awning/sitting area, still not ideal at all. After looking around it seems only that side of that section of road is setup that way. The little store is ok, the campground is clean. The boat launches are good. The boat tie up area is different then anything I had used and took a bit to get used to but worked ok. No slips were available. Maine has a "buy it where you burn it" law so we didn't bring wood not being sure if Virginia had a similar law. MISTAKE! wood at the campground was 5.00 for four little sticks, Lion king down the road was a little cheaper. Not a huge deal, but we are used to 3.00 for a good size bundle, probably 3-4 times what they offered. They have a play area for kids, an arcade. We are going to look into the State park next time.

We took Saturday and went to a corn maze. Had dinner at Mario's Italian restaurant on the way, good food. I cant remember the name of the farm but the corn maze was big! They said 25 acres. It was split up into 4 mazes. We usually make it a competition with the kids, so we picked the 2nd biggest one to start on, that has an Allison in Wonder Land them in it with clues and stuff. We head in first and by the 2nd clue decide we need to wait for the kids because we have no clue what we are doing! After admitting defeat and still with the kids help not doing very well in that one we make rules for the next one. The biggest section with 25 different hole punches hidden in it you have to collect along the way. We decide for each missed hole punch you get a ten minute penalty. We let the kids go first with a ten minute starting difference. We cross them only 3 punch holes into this thing in one of the bunched up criss/crossed areas and they start playing head games already saying they have 7 punches! We get toward the end and find 25 without finding 24. So we are rushing around trying to find 24 and see the kids again, we look around some more, and see them again rushing toward the exit. I see the general area they came from and think they must have been looking for this stinking 24 punch also, So we go back in that area, waste about ten minutes looking for punch 24. We finally decide to head out and hope the missed one also. There was no running in the maze, so we are ether walking or on a brisk walk, and complete the thing in 1 hour 18 minutes. 1 minute ahead of the kids time. But we missed one punch, then they tell use they missed two punches, #1 and 3, So we only had 3 punches when we first met them and they try to tell us they already had 7 while missing 1&3!! We won, even with their head game playin!!

Sorry, got kinda long. By myself tonite. Anyhow had a good time, and will be doing it a few times a year I'm sure, to see her son.

Glad you had fun. I know a couple people with houses on Lake Anna and spend a lot of time there in the summer, as it's a popular spot for people from the DC area. One you may have seen if you were down by the dam - the giant log house next to Dike 1.

The southern part of the lake is definitely more open and better to have a house, though there is a sand bar in the northwest part of the lake thats a really fun party spot

That's as far as we went was down to dyke 1. I remember a huge house just before the opening where the power plant is, and another big house rite beside the dyke that had a huge lawn with a pillar sitting area built next to the water on it, had very nice boat house too.

Well had a good time at Anna. Logged 95 miles on the Navionics app. and forgot to log the first day, went about the same place the second day as we did the first and it was 24 miles. So about 120 miles on Lake Anna and 15 hours. Had a good time, saw more wake boats then we have ever seen, saw alot of fishing boats. Alot of nice houses, and envy the dock/boat garages, man some of them are nice!! Stopped at "the board walk" Tims? for ice cream. Ate at "No Wake Zone" Sunday and had a very good lunch. Looked for a ski course up beyond that restaurant, by "the rocks?" I had heard about but couldn't find it. Found a Moomba floating in the area I thought it was suppose to be in and he didn't know of one? My girlfriend walked over one of the dykes just to feel the warm side, said it was alot warmer. Her son Did alot of surfing, a little skiing, He hadn't been on the boat for two seasons now. He got his long time girlfriend (now wife) to try surfing, and did ski. We met up with a friend that moved down there 5-6 years ago and he tried surfing for the first time.

Made a mistake of going down 522 all the ways from 81. The GPS wanted us to go a different Rt but we noticed 522 was at the same exit we were getting off and decided we wouldn't mind seeing some of the area rather then go highways. some parts of 522 are very narrow and hilly!! We had seen our fill of farm country by the time we got to the campground.

Wasn't over impressed with Christopher Run campground. We would go back, just wasn't impressed. Tried to call them a few times Wed. afternoon as we knew we were running a bit lake. Couldn't get in touch with anyone. got there about 5-5:30 and the gate was locked. Took us a little bit to notice a number on the gate office, called it and got the code. We knew our lot number anyhow but they had left a note with our name and lot number on the store door. The lot was a bit small and is setup backwards, so the electric and water hookup is on the door/awning side of the camper. This really pi$$ed me off (maybe from lack of sleep going down?) for a few minutes thinking we were going to be walking across electric cord and water hose. Luckily we had extensions and could run the lines around the back of the awning/sitting area, still not ideal at all. After looking around it seems only that side of that section of road is setup that way. The little store is ok, the campground is clean. The boat launches are good. The boat tie up area is different then anything I had used and took a bit to get used to but worked ok. No slips were available. Maine has a "buy it where you burn it" law so we didn't bring wood not being sure if Virginia had a similar law. MISTAKE! wood at the campground was 5.00 for four little sticks, Lion king down the road was a little cheaper. Not a huge deal, but we are used to 3.00 for a good size bundle, probably 3-4 times what they offered. They have a play area for kids, an arcade. We are going to look into the State park next time.

We took Saturday and went to a corn maze. Had dinner at Mario's Italian restaurant on the way, good food. I cant remember the name of the farm but the corn maze was big! They said 25 acres. It was split up into 4 mazes. We usually make it a competition with the kids, so we picked the 2nd biggest one to start on, that has an Allison in Wonder Land them in it with clues and stuff. We head in first and by the 2nd clue decide we need to wait for the kids because we have no clue what we are doing! After admitting defeat and still with the kids help not doing very well in that one we make rules for the next one. The biggest section with 25 different hole punches hidden in it you have to collect along the way. We decide for each missed hole punch you get a ten minute penalty. We let the kids go first with a ten minute starting difference. We cross them only 3 punch holes into this thing in one of the bunched up criss/crossed areas and they start playing head games already saying they have 7 punches! We get toward the end and find 25 without finding 24. So we are rushing around trying to find 24 and see the kids again, we look around some more, and see them again rushing toward the exit. I see the general area they came from and think they must have been looking for this stinking 24 punch also, So we go back in that area, waste about ten minutes looking for punch 24. We finally decide to head out and hope the missed one also. There was no running in the maze, so we are ether walking or on a brisk walk, and complete the thing in 1 hour 18 minutes. 1 minute ahead of the kids time. But we missed one punch, then they tell use they missed two punches, #1 and 3, So we only had 3 punches when we first met them and they try to tell us they already had 7 while missing 1&3!! We won, even with their head game playin!!

Sorry, got kinda long. By myself tonite. Anyhow had a good time, and will be doing it a few times a year I'm sure, to see her son.

You just have to love beating the snot out of kids when they think you know nothing!

• Like 2

wish I could've meet you all down there but due to work being slammed I put the Boat up for the winter last weekend!! Sounds like you stayed in the north part of the lake we're I usually hang out.

Lake is dead this time of year. On a holiday you pretty much have to park it and enjoy the people watching. You'll always see some crazy close misses or a 14ft Bayliner packed with 14 people.

Edited by mountaineerhill

wish I could've meet you all down there but due to work being slammed I put the Boat up for the winter last weekend!! Sounds like you stayed in the north part of the lake we're I usually hang out.

Lake is dead this time of year. On a holiday you pretty much have to park it and enjoy the people watching. You'll always see some crazy close misses or a 14ft Bayliner packed with 14 people.

We were actually there the weekend of 10th-11th, I think I remember seeing a boat similar to yours in that area, I was kinda watching for familiar looking boats but couldn't remember all of them from this site. There was a Tige surfing along the east shore while we were surfing along the west shore just above the state park area. there was another 10-11 era blue Malibu wake boarding in the middle, an older white Malibu skiing up the lake, and another surfing over in the off branch from there. there was alot going on.

I can see how it could get close easy. It was fairly busy Sunday and had a few boats closer to us then we are used to. One fishing boat went between us and shore and got within probably 50ft of us when my girlfriends son was in the water, he thought that was close enough. It seemed like there was a ton of traffic up in the narrows by the state park, but below it by the power plant was dead. Looking at the map i can see that area being the busiest spot as all traffic from the north headed south and visa/virsa has to pass thru that small area.