Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain plug LED light

barefootboy

I have been considering the basic light from them for a while. I just emailed them to see if the GATLIN will clear a power wedge. How bright is your original 900 lumen light? Worth it for just a little bit of light? I think those are only $60 or so.

• Like 1

I talked to them today and he thought I had a power wedge and recommended the DAGON or those original lights I belive. My old 900 does great for a $60 light. I had the clear. My boat is Green and wanted to upgrade to a more powerful green light. They were very quick with email responses

Dragon is transom mounted. Kinda defeats the purpose of simplicity of drain plug lighting. If I were going to do transom lights, Id do some of the others on the market. I also just go an email back and they say only the diablo and typhoon will fit with power wedge. They actually said the $55 and $65 lights will work. I used deductive reasoning to figure out the models.

Yeah. I'm not getting into drilling my boat. What I have is honestly not bad. Can't beat the simplicity and price. Let me know if u get one and try it. Don't know of any other boat plug lights out there that could possibly be any better

Only reason I haven't ordered one is I want the Y KNOT, but don't know if they will fit with a power wedge. And I haven't gotten around to emailing them about it or asking around here.
Bareboot - do you happen to have any photos of the white light that you have?

• Like 1

Haven't heard that about Blue but my buddy has a Centurion w/ blue factory lights and does look really good. really the reason I thought I'd try colored. I have got to run down to the lake and measure how much clearance I have w/ the wedge. They respond pretty quickly to emails. I have not taken any pics,sorry

I know the CLEAR is brightest. I am going to give Green a shot. It's 4X the power of my old light so should be good

I have clear & it ends up looking sorta green..... I guess the color of the water your in.

• Like 1

I have the yknot, it clears the power wedge, but you must lower the wedge to put it in, the gatlin will not clear the power wedge.

We have super clear water, and you can hardly see the white lights when sitting at the dock, but if someone jumps in, they get lit up really well to about 40 feet out.

I would order blue for best visual effect.

• Like 2

asnowman or barefotboy, do you have a picture of your lights while under way, I think that's what I would want them for. Lighting up the wake. I think that with the prop wash and aerated water, they would work a little better.

I have the yknot, it clears the power wedge, but you must lower the wedge to put it in, the gatlin will not clear the power wedge.

We have super clear water, and you can hardly see the white lights when sitting at the dock, but if someone jumps in, they get lit up really well to about 40 feet out.

So you have to lower the wedge to install but after that you can retract and extend the wedge without hitting it? Not sure I understand why that happens but if you say it fits then that's good enough for me!

Looking at blue as well.

ahopkins22LSV

Do you have pics? Nvm I just updated the thread and see your response. Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I don't have a picture with the wedge up, but here it is just after i installed it. The brace where the actuators attach is in the top of the picture, and when the wedge is in the stowed position, that bracket clears the yknot by about 1/4"

Because the fixture is flat, in order to spin it in, the wedge needs to be down. Once installed though, you can remove 1 light to use as a drain plug. One word of caution, the waterproof connector ends on these things are really short, and there is a splice sealed in epoxy a few inches from the connector, so when installed, those splices are not in a good space in my boat. I'll probably order another set of waterproof connectors and get rid of the splice they come with.

post-2340-0-73356600-1444914279_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Sorry, no pictures of it on underway, we ran about 85 hours this summer, and only took the boat out once at night. I did have the light on, and it was kind of cool, but i may order blue ones for next year anyway. Kind of nice you can order new lights pretty cheap. They are well made, and after spending a summer in the water the lights themselves are in great shape. The aluminum housing shows a little corrosion, but that didn't really surprise me.

• Like 1

Its really hard to get good pictures, but here is an idea, one of our kids floating about 10-15 feet from the back of the swim deck.

please tell me I'm not the only one that thought it looked like you took a photo of a dead body. LOL

• Like 1