Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ronix vs Fly High Fat Sacs

Sixer

I'm looking to put a pair of 550's in my rear lockers. My local dealer typically uses Fly High, just curious if anybody has any good/bad experiences with either Ronix or Fly High? They are both priced the same, just wondering if one is much better/different from the other.

Right now, Wakemakers has been pushing the Sumo bags because they offer 1" fittings... the Fly high ones in the past have had large fittings, but still bottleneck to 3/4" connecting to the bag. The Sumo bags are 1" connecting to the bag.

Source: I had the Fly high 750's on the last boat and bough the Sumo 800s on my current boat.

**Edit - to be clear, I ran my own 1" thru-hull, 1" hoses, Johnson Reversible pumps and ballast bags for both boats, so the bottleneck at the bag fitting makes a difference. (I need to time the speed of my sumo fill/drain in order to find out how big of a difference, but it isn't likely more than 1 min difference for fill/drain)

Edited by jonredcorn

I'm looking to put a pair of 550's in my rear lockers. My local dealer typically uses Fly High, just curious if anybody has any good/bad experiences with either Ronix or Fly High? They are both priced the same, just wondering if one is much better/different from the other.

If youre talking about MN inboard they will know what you want.

My opinion and Ive used all three. Ronix is a piece of s***, expect them to leak. Fly highs are night for around the boat because they are square but once you stuff it into a compartment that doesnt matter as much. Sumos have 1" fill which is nice, but only if you have 1 1/8 hose and a big inlet otherwise youre not taking advantage of it anyway. I believe the early 14s started with 1" then later went to 1 1/8 you wont gain anything by going from 1" hose to a 1" opening.

Id go with 750/800s if it was my boat and I planned on surfing.

Go with the sumo's for all the bags and pick up one of there throw-over pumps. The valve setup they have is awesome!!!! Also, when one of your drain or fill pumps go out, you can use the throw over pump. My only gripe with sumo bags is that I wish they had 2 valves on the flat floor sac.

Also, I believe it's always been 3/4" or 1 1/8" ballast hoses from malibu. The pumps they use only come in those sizes. My 12' a22 was a custom order with 1 1/8" hosing. That size is standard from 13'+

Thanks for all of the feedback. In my last VTX MN Inboard installed Fly High 550s, and they worked fine. I was planning to do the same, and came across the Ronix bags that look to be a similar "box" shape, just curious if one was better than another. Sounds like I'll be sticking with Fly High from the feedback so far. I was pondering going larger than 550's, but when Vince (former service manager, and I really respect his opinion) was at MN Inboard I asked about going to 750's, and he told me 550s was as big as I wanted to go on a VTX. I might have to measure to see if I could even get 750s in my rear lockers, but I wonder if Vince was right, and that would be too much weight/too big of bags in a VTX?

Thanks for all of the feedback. In my last VTX MN Inboard installed Fly High 550s, and they worked fine. I was planning to do the same, and came across the Ronix bags that look to be a similar "box" shape, just curious if one was better than another. Sounds like I'll be sticking with Fly High from the feedback so far. I was pondering going larger than 550's, but when Vince (former service manager, and I really respect his opinion) was at MN Inboard I asked about going to 750's, and he told me 550s was as big as I wanted to go on a VTX. I might have to measure to see if I could even get 750s in my rear lockers, but I wonder if Vince was right, and that would be too much weight/too big of bags in a VTX?

Myself and two buddies, all with VTXs, all run 750s. If running small crews, we also use 725lb bow bags plus a 400lb bag on the floor. I originally had 550s and upgraded. Surprisingly good surf wake for the size of the boat.

Dang, that's a lot of weight in a VTX. So when I look at the dimensions, you must not be able to fill your 750's all the way?? I measured my rear lockers, and it appears the 550's dimensions would fit perfectly, and the 750's would need another 12 inches of length.......it goes up to 50" instead of 38". Very unlikely that I'll be adding a bag on the floor or in the bow (don't have that much space), so I think I'd be okay with just the 550's in the back.