Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jabsco Puppy flow direction - Help

minnmarker

Almost done installing integrated ballast! Only need to hook up the wires to the motors. Would like to get it done but will be unable to test since it's getting cold here and I don't want to have to winterize it just to do a test. Please save me having to pump antifreeze!

So, with the pump head in the stock location, I need to know which way the water will flow with positive to the orange wire and negative to the black wire.

Looking at the pump with the motor on top and label upright, will the water flow from left to right or from right to left?

Thanks

Fill should be right to left. But it also depends on how you hooked up your switches. If it was me I would run some water through just the pump not the whole system to confirm the direction. If you remove the water and let them run dry for about 30 seconds they should dry up pretty well.

Put the sac end of the hose in a bucket of water. In the fill direction it will blow bubbles and in the drain direction it will begin to empty the bucket. If the flow is backwards, just rotate the switch 180*, reorient the labeled actuator and call it a day. Way easier then trying to analyze the pumps flow direction based on a polarity thats going to change.

Put the sac end of the hose in a bucket of water. In the fill direction it will blow bubbles and in the drain direction it will begin to empty the bucket. If the flow is backwards, just rotate the switch 180*, reorient the labeled actuator and call it a day. Way easier then trying to analyze the pumps flow direction based on a polarity thats going to change.

I guess I'll just do that on one pump but with antifreeze so I won't have to worry about draining the system. If it flows the wrong way I'll just switch the wires (polarity) at the pump. Easier than rotating the pump head. I'm going to assume the pumps will be consistent and all flow the same way with the same polarity.

• Like 1

I guess I'll just do that on one pump but with antifreeze so I won't have to worry about draining the system. If it flows the wrong way I'll just switch the wires (polarity) at the pump. Easier than rotating the pump head. I'm going to assume the pumps will be consistent and all flow the same way with the same polarity.

what MLA is saying is flip the switch itself in your dash upside down. Take the switch face off, flip the switch body upside down, put the switch face back on. nobody but you will ever know it's wired "backwards."

Why create work for yourself by cutting and re-splicing? Trust me, just rotate the switch, reorient the part thats labeled. The last thing I do on a ballast install, is snap the actuators on the switches and seat the switches in the helm. I wait till I sea trial the boat and check for the pump direction. Ive got a 50/50 chance. if its right, i snap the actuator on and push the switch into place. If its backwards, rotate the switch, pop the actuator on in the correct orientation, then seat the switch.

Yes, the pumps will be consistent, providing you connected the intake hose to the same side and sac hose to the same side on all the pumps. This doesnt always work, so thats i dont pay attention to it.

Leave the sacs off and no water is going to collect anywhere. If you have some RV/Marine antifreeze, sure, use it.

The only reason I'm thinking of going the wire change route is that I tried to snap off the switch cover plates and could not easily do it, so I'm afraid I'll crack them in the process. Is there a trick to It?