Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

14 23LSV vs 16 23LSV

Davidda

Another thing I have noticed over the years is, any big change to these boats is mostly met with negative opinions until enough people own the new boats. After that it is the norm for these boats and it's not an issue. I've seen it with the new Illusion in '06, the Current towers, the changes in gel schemes, changes in interiors and many more changes over the years. This engine and vinyl thing will slowly fade out of the complaint department. I have been in a few boats with the Ford motor and they are all loud. That's going to be the new norm. There have been a few minor changes that were one year changes that were big goof ups (dashes), that didn't stay on the next years boats but for the majority of changes, we get used to it.

Well said, Ronnie... I've seen the same pattern over the years.

Never met a bunch more alergic to change than the enthusiasts of TMC. :)

Nope..... Mostly engine noise, some gearbox noise.....

Like I said, typically, gearboxes are noisier than engines. Go to the 2 minute mark, you can't even hear the engine for the gearbox (yes, this is a racecar, but still shows what is typically the source of most noise):

I have the 14 LSV and love the boat. I did the boaters insurance program that was going on with Inmar and got 5 years on my motor. Just need to insure for the 5 year period. Was disappointed that I waited for the new model and they made so many changes but I am happy and have had no problems. Did get the chance to do custom order the boat and do have the 350.

Just got back from the dealer, going to pull the trigger on the 16 LSV from my 14 LSV. I mainly boat at altitude and have not been happy with the MP LS3. The jump is steep but the upgrades are really nice, yes unnecessary but really nice. I am going with the G4 so I can trailer with the tower down and cover over it, my shortest trip is one hour each way and hit Powell two times a year, I hate cleaning bugs off of the tower. The rack covers are really nice. Is it fiscally worth it to upgrade, not sure but my boys are getting older and won't be around for long, so this is where the family will spend a lot of time in the near future. My motto is to live for today just don't bankrupt the future.

What I have noticed is the difference in engine tone with the new raptor motors. Do you all remember that old LSV video with 8,000 of ballast and a proto type ford engine? How it seemed like it was screaming! Thats the exact same that I have seen with a buddies new 16' lsv with the 450. It just "SOUNDS" like the engine is working hard, way harder than the old 450. Where as my LS3 is more of a deeper, drone exhaust noise. It could just be from a different muffler system, I'm not sure.

I can't really explain it too well but it's definitely noticeable.

Like I said, typically, gearboxes are noisier than engines. Go to the 2 minute mark, you can't even hear the engine for the gearbox (yes, this is a racecar, but still shows what is typically the source of most noise):

The 6 speed sequential box in the GT3 Cup is a bit of a different animal. Every gear in that thing is spur cut, which is why it is so loud. Take that same exact car with the Helical cut gear sequential six speed and you won't hear a peep out of the transmission. Just the sweet scream of the Mezger race engine.

i realize the point you are trying to make. I just think a spur cut box is not a great example. Vdrives have helical cut gears.

Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either that they would charge that much for a tune..... But, it's been discussed on here as well as wakeworld that the 410 and 450 Raptors are identical motors, and the only difference was the tune.....

I spoke to indmar today. They claim there are quite a few differences in the motors. If it was strickly a tune you could have your dealer reflash the ECU and have a 440 free. Failing that the aftermarket would have long ago had a option to reflash. The motors have been out for over two years.

I spoke to indmar today. They claim there are quite a few differences in the motors. If it was strickly a tune you could have your dealer reflash the ECU and have a 440 free. Failing that the aftermarket would have long ago had a option to reflash. The motors have been out for over two years.

The aftermarket? What aftermarket?

These motors aren't that different at all.

They took the F-250 version and the F-150 Raptor version and slightly tweaked them and slapped horsepower badges on them. There is a lot of info to be found online about these 2 motors.

The key thing is that Indmar does not build motors. The get them ready for a marine environment and slightly tweak them in some cases.

These motors aren't that different at all.

They took the F-250 version and the F-150 Raptor version and slightly tweaked them and slapped horsepower badges on them. There is a lot of info to be found online about these 2 motors.

The key thing is that Indmar does not build motors. The get them ready for a marine environment and slightly tweak them in some cases.

The F250 version of the 6.2 has different cams. The motor that Indmar is using is the version out of the Raptor/F150.