Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suction Cup Surf Gate

MadMan

Do you have a photo of the gate attached to the boat?

I'll take a photo tomorrow.

My wife came up with a name to distinguish it from Surf Gate, we call it "Water Gate".

• Like 2

Hi this look promising,

Would it be possible to have the dimension of the board, and also how is it attach to the boat while moving?

This look a simple way of having a nice wave, espacially for my 2014 TXI.

Cheers!

:salute::woot:

Ha I was planning this same thing for the weekend.......looks like you got pretty good results. I've experimented with several gate addon versions. But this one seems to take up the least space in the boat.

I'm looking at combining this thread with the skateboard ramp thread. Parts arriving today. Plan to separate the pump from the suction cup and then screw the cup to a wedge (of something - to get the cup resting flat on the hull) that is in turn screwed or glued to the inside of the ramp. Also make a hole in the back of the ramp to reach the pump plunger and release. Could be used for both sides. Also add some closed cell foam from an old life jacket to keep it from sinking.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ETJE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840VQ0G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Hoping it looks OK and gets the job done. Will not be adjustable though.

I'm looking at combining this thread with the skateboard ramp thread. Parts arriving today. Plan to separate the pump from the suction cup and then screw the cup to a wedge (of something - to get the cup resting flat on the hull) that is in turn screwed or glued to the inside of the ramp. Also make a hole in the back of the ramp to reach the pump plunger and release. Could be used for both sides. Also add some closed cell foam from an old life jacket to keep it from sinking.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ETJE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840VQ0G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Hoping it looks OK and gets the job done. Will not be adjustable though.

Instead of life jacket foam try some builders expansion foam, it makes stuff float.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YW0W0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0013IZSPU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GXAJ8X1MAADZARX8JNV

I think if made from plywood and rhinolined it will prob float on its own.....but I think im going to use an eye hook screwed into the back and have a lanyard of some sort attached to it. A black flat board might be tough to spot if it only marginally floats.

This design was just a 1st attempt to see if it would work, and it did. The size and angle were based off material I had and what looked good. Dimension are 32x10.75 with 6 rise. Suction cups are 3.75".

I made it so that when mounted the front is touching the boat. This makes it difficult to compress the front suction cups (especially for this test, since I attached it while laying on the sun deck). I will probably change this to about an 1/8" gap with some soft filler material to protect the hull. The force of the water should shove it up against the hull when in use anyway.

I considered putting a tether on it, but was afraid it might bounce back and hit the boat. Might paint it white so it would be easier to find it did come off. Being mounted with suction cups is a feature, if it hits something or you forget to remove before doing 40mph , it will just come off.

The video shows another benefit of mounting it to the side of the boat, spray just hits the hull and is directed away.

Another thing the video shows, it actually pushes up that side of the boat. You guys with the real thing probably already know this.

The photos obviously show it mounted on the opposite side of the boat than when tested.

IMG_1926-46_zpsb4cb91lb.jpg

IMG_1925-46_zpsyacfhvqd.jpg

Edited by MadMan

What does this mean? 3.75" in diameter?

Yep, that's what I meant to say...

Also an update, I fully filled the rear sacs, then there was too much water flowing over the top of the "Watergate" and it didn't function. Was not able to move it up because of the shape of the side of the boat. I'm may make a wider one (might have to spend some $$).

I was able to surf with them about 2/3s full.

- I thought I had a qualitative understanding of how surfgate works. With surfgate off the back of the boat, there is delayed convergence.

- Listing a boat works because the wake is much bigger on one side than the other. Basically, the big wake overpowers the little wake.

Why does having the "gate" forward of the back of the boat work? If I were to guess, I'd think the wake would just shift to one side by a gatewidth/2.

If you'd be so kind, I'd like to see an experiment showing the wave vs. position of the watergate. What happens as watergate moves towards the bow?

It's still delayed convergence. The suction cup gate sticks out to help make up the difference in position. Instead of making that side of the hull longer it's making wider having roughly the same effect, delaying water movement on that side of boat.

I'm still curious if steering is better since being more forward would have less "leverage" against the rudder. If I push the back of my swim platform my boat spins. If I push my boat where the suction cup gate would be. The boat still spins but not nearly as much.

If you'd be so kind, I'd like to see an experiment showing the wave vs. position of the watergate. What happens as watergate moves towards the bow?

I just got finished making a double-wide watergate that will allow me to fill my rear sacs completely. I plan on testing it this weekend. I can try moving it forward also.

I'm still curious if steering is better since being more forward would have less "leverage" against the rudder. If I push the back of my swim platform my boat spins. If I push my boat where the suction cup gate would be. The boat still spins but not nearly as much.

I really didn't notice much additional steering effort to counteract the force. I'll pay more attention next time out.

I was wondering why Malibu chose to put Surf Gate behind the boat. If this works, they could have just made it a movable part of the hull. Then it wouldn't look like an "add-on". But maybe the add-on look is a good thing, like a tower does??

I just got finished making a double-wide watergate that will allow me to fill my rear sacs completely. I plan on testing it this weekend. I can try moving it forward also.

I really didn't notice much additional steering effort to counteract the force. I'll pay more attention next time out.

I was wondering why Malibu chose to put Surf Gate behind the boat. If this works, they could have just made it a movable part of the hull. Then it wouldn't look like an "add-on". But maybe the add-on look is a good thing, like a tower does??

I have DIY platform gate and turning in the direction opposite the gate is nearly impossible.

Well I modified my original watergate (moved the front suction cups) so it could mounted higher on the side of the boat. This allowed me to completely fill my locker sacs and the watergate not be so far under the water that it did not function. The way it's mounted now, it isn't flush with the boat in the front it's about 3/4" away to fit around the shape if the boat. Here are some photos. Was at 12.5 mph, wedge down, 1100's in the lockers filled to whatever they would hold, same for the ski locker, plus maybe 500lbs in the bow. 14x18 prop.

IMG_1988-46_zpsj5f5auqq.jpg

IMG_2002-46_zpskmhxae38.jpg

IMG_1983-46_zpsn6abcubt.jpg

IMG_1989-46_zpsq84fuiiv.jpg

IMG_1991-46_zpswr9e14fk.jpg

• Like 1