Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

identify a tower on 2001 sunkicker

bclerval

I am looking to buy a 2001 sunsetter/sunkicker with this tower. The tower is missing or damaged, I was hoping to use the same mounts. Does anyone know the manufacture.00P0P_4LHvLhbbUAA_600x450.jpg

Looks like the Skylon Tuna tower. They were no prize & typically had rattles & quite a bit of movement. Having the feet on the side leaves it exposed for hits by docks or other boats whenever your tied up.

I'm in NJ. The boat I'm looking at is almost a total lost. Owner left the plug in and out filled with water. This will be my 6th project boat. The boat is in Delaware and was bought from chessie marina in Elkton MD.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but your post did make me curious as to what tower we currently have on our boat.

Amazing

I can't find any pics of a Sunsetter with the T3 just to get an idea.

The more I read, there was a reason they stopped making the tuna tower design. The owner of the boat pictured above said they hit a large wave in the Cheasapeak and broke a few welds. He thinks the tower is still there. I have a person I use to do all my welding. I wonder if the tower would be okay if all the seams and joints were welded. I do not have a need for it to fold down.

afraid so

That's great if it would go to a TMC Member, That's one nice tower! :rockon:

Just didn't fit my TXi. But must admit I love the XTP I put on.

Edited by Dare2goBare

The more I read, there was a reason they stopped making the tuna tower design. The owner of the boat pictured above said they hit a large wave in the Cheasapeak and broke a few welds. He thinks the tower is still there. I have a person I use to do all my welding. I wonder if the tower would be okay if all the seams and joints were welded. I do not have a need for it to fold down.

Chances are it would be great as long as you don't put speakers & boards on it, take it in rough water or ride behind from it.

That seems like a really bad idea. Even if it holds up (big if IMO), by the time you pay the welder, have it stripped & powder coated or painted, you're going to have quite a bit of money & energy into a crappy tower that's hard to find accessories for & that you may not want to put a lot on. It may cost a bit more, but do it once & do it right.

If the Star One tower is out of your budget buy a monster tower for $700. I have friends that have used these on boats and they are super solid and look good for the money.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/monster-tower-mte-wakeboard-tower-polished-2-25in.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwqNiwBRDnq93MioaqtKQBEiQAb7Ezn7S_tkx_97B4OrqSSvzj68vWw0ibik7q5fYlc96hiSMaAsgt8P8HAQ

I'll also add that there are a lot of inexpensive accessories for this tower.

Edited by robbennett

Do the Star One. It's super solid & there are tons of accessories out there for it.

I know 3 people who have put Monsters on their boat, then a year or two later sold the boat because of all the problems they've had with it. One guy down in Texas had his break & he had to weld up all the joints in it to keep it. Then sold the boat!

I don't ride in many wake boats, but when I ride in one that's not mine I am always blown away by how much the towers move and creek. Mine is so solid its crazy, and I just think they look right on this era Malibu...

DSC_1608.jpg

• Like 3

I would honestly prefer one of those towers to my illusion x. The bushings don't stay tight for long and it makes for a shaky ride when they wear out. Not to mention you don't have to buy specific racks, speakers and mirrors for them so parts are way cheaper.

Yeah I have been trying not to make this an advertisement for S1W but I can't tell you haw awesome Scott has been to deal with. He has been able to support me with everything I've wanted to do. I bought that tower and bimini a LONG time ago now and he still bends over backwards for me anytime I need something. He is always super pumped for me when I find a deal on some used gear, and he has sold me clamps etc to make it all work. He really is one of the best dudes I've ever done business with.

He is really passionate about what he does and it shows.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I won't both dragging the tower home if it is there. Currently I have a 1997 Brendella Calabria open bow I brought back to life. Previous owner neglected it. It has the monster tower on it. I think it is solid and have not had an issue. Though I have friends that pull a lot harder then I do and they too broke the monster tower weld. Since it was out of warranty they sold him a new one for $300. I do like the look of the ttitian tower. If there is enough extra money I will wait until the end and buy.

Thanks again