Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

help with adding ballast to 2002 VlX - ONLY for wakeboarding

pedjavilotic

Hello guys,

Sorry ,but i couldn't find topic for this year VLX ,wake boarding only ,etc...

So, right now i have standard MLS , 2 x 250 rear, 500 mid , wedge and no bow ballast in my VLX 2002.

I did a research, and i found that i MUST add bow ballast for sure,and increase rear capacity.

My plan is to add 500 lbs in bow *under the seat* , and remove 500 from mid locker and put 750 * i hope it will fit,what do you think?*, to remove rear standard hard tanks and put more weight.

Now, i must explain a bit this "rear"situation.I am living in Serbia,EU, and here , fuel is E X P E N SI V E!!! So, we tried and did well installation of LPG,and i am satisfied with it...Now, i can't use regular fuel tanks,and i had to put two special LPG barrels in both rear locker, so we can stay all day long in the water,and i must have space in both rear lockers, so 750 and 1100 lbs are NOT the option.

Anyway, the best idea i found so far, is to remove factory MLS tanks and put new, i think i will be able to make my own hard tanks, getting at least double lbs of the standard, so lets say around 400-500 lbs in each locker,plus i usually have this barrels filled with LPG, but yea,i am using it so maybe no need to calculate that in total ballast weight.

SO, all in all ,i think i will have

Bow -500

Mid-750\

rear- 2 x 400-500 lbs

Do you think this will be enough for wakeboarding?Once more, i am not really interested in surfing,just a as great as possible wake for Wake boarding

Another question, i will need some extra pumps .I know you all suggest reversible Jonhson, but i am not in US,and even if i buy them *i must say they are expensive for me*, i will be having a problem to get it here

Plus shipping , tax,custom...too much money i think...maybe 750-1100 gph Tsunami or something..i tried Rule, but i am not satisfied with the quality . Please suggest something

Wedge.... i haven't used it so far.I know that i have two positions only.How can i use it properly for wake boarding?I've heard someone said "floating" ..Does it mean that i should put it to float when i wake boarding, not in any of this two locked positions?

And last question is about the prop

I think i have Test Prop Acme 13 X 17.5 4-blade

I found that online, not sure is it correct, but anyway i have standard prop

Do you think some other prop will help me out planing ?The best would be if i can get faster planing,and decreasing fuel consumption...IF there is prop able to do this ...? :(

Don't forget that i am planning to add this extra ballast.

Thank you guys ,sorry for long msg....

Edited by pedjavilotic

Good Morning, evening for you.

You will not be able to change out your mid bag to a larger one, it just wont fit. Your bow addition sounds good, with the extra in the rear you should be OK there. For the wedge you have a fixed wedge just lock it in place and it will add some down force about, 1000#s worth. Now that you cannot use regular fuel, you could take out the fuel tank and put a ballast bag there. I believe your boat came with 50 US gal tank that is another 400#s of water if you can get a bag that fits the area. you will also need to prop down to get the most out of your motor. Most with a VLX are running a amce 1235 or the OJ equivalent.

This should get you a great wake for boarding, play around with your dynamic ballast (i.e. people) to fine tune the wake and find out where you need more or less weight.

What is your skill level in wake boarding? I have a 2001 vlx which should be the same hull as yours. I would classify myself as a slightly intermediate wake boarder, and the wake without the wedge or any ballast filled is plenty big enough for my skill level.

But +1, I would turn the gasoline tank into a ballast tank. It should be 38 gallons, which would give you another 300 pounds near the back.

Hey, good morning /evening xD

thanks for reply.
By the way, i still CAN use regular fuel,i am keeping that as "special" situation, if my LPG stop working >but that didn't happen yet...So,i will probably save that gas tank ...

You said, "put wedge down to locked position" ...i did that, but isn't that usually used for wake surfing...? Wedge should be locked for wake boarding , about 20 Mph speed?Or just floating, unlocked...?

so,you suggest 1235?I checked topics about it, but there are different opinions about this one...and kinda expensive for me ,i must say...New one around 500$...!even if i find solid used one, with shipping to me will be...just too much.

What is your skill level in wake boarding? I have a 2001 vlx which should be the same hull as yours. I would classify myself as a slightly intermediate wake boarder, and the wake without the wedge or any ballast filled is plenty big enough for my skill level.

But +1, I would turn the gasoline tank into a ballast tank. It should be 38 gallons, which would give you another 300 pounds near the back.

i know basic tricks, noting special, but i am really not satisfied with my wake,only if i have 5-6 people, then its "ok" ,but not better than that. And i would like to progress more and i am positive that i must have bigger wake...

Sometimes, we are only 2,3 persons...almost no wake at all... And if i try faster speed, the wake is even lower and then i just don't want to try anything ...!So, ballast upgrade is a MUST for me .

I would do one of the wakemakers tank buster kits.

yes,i know about it also,thanks.But problem is as is said, my two LPG tanks that are in rear lockers.So,i can't use this option...i must have hard tank ,so my LPG tanks can lay on hard tanks.

Edited by pedjavilotic

Your wedge needs to be locked in the down position for wakeboarding. On newer Malibus there was a floating wedge option (still used on axis) that did not need to be locked in the down position which is probably what you read about in other threads. Yours does need to be locked in the down position for use. I would try running the wedge to make up for lack of ballast. When your boat first came out, surfing wasn't much of a thought concern so the wedge being mainly for surfing is not accurate. I actually prefer not running wedge on my boat when surfing...

It may be better to put a combination of lead and hard tank back there for ballast since you have the LPG tanks taking up so much room. Measure out what will fit and you will probably have to buy boat gas tanks and adapt them to be ballast tanks. You will probably have to move weight as the fuel depletes to keep a consistent wake. The gas tank is fairly centered in the boat so when it runs out the wake stays consistent.

It may be better to put a combination of lead and hard tank back there for ballast since you have the LPG tanks taking up so much room. Measure out what will fit and you will probably have to buy boat gas tanks and adapt them to be ballast tanks. You will probably have to move weight as the fuel depletes to keep a consistent wake. The gas tank is fairly centered in the boat so when it runs out the wake stays consistent.

Hmm...maybe you are right, but one of my LPG tanks weight total of lets say 100 lbs.And sometimes, i go on the river only with ONE lpg tank,the other rear locker is empty.Only when i want to be on the river all day long, i go for two full LPG tanks..

Do you think that this cca 100 lbs will make big difference....? and that one is depleting,anyway like you said.

do you have picture of that lead ...?i mean, where are you taking it from...?

Your wedge needs to be locked in the down position for wakeboarding. On newer Malibus there was a floating wedge option (still used on axis) that did not need to be locked in the down position which is probably what you read about in other threads. Yours does need to be locked in the down position for use. I would try running the wedge to make up for lack of ballast. When your boat first came out, surfing wasn't much of a thought concern so the wedge being mainly for surfing is not accurate. I actually prefer not running wedge on my boat when surfing...

thanks..will try that..

but , do you think that for example 2 x 400-500lbs rear , mid 500, and bow 500 NEEDS wedge locked bottom or not?I mean, will that be too much for rear if i lock also wedge, because i know it should be like 40 : 60 in bow : rear....?

Hmm...maybe you are right, but one of my LPG tanks weight total of lets say 100 lbs.And sometimes, i go on the river only with ONE lpg tank,the other rear locker is empty.Only when i want to be on the river all day long, i go for two full LPG tanks..

Do you think that this cca 100 lbs will make big difference....? and that one is depleting,anyway like you said.

You will need to keep your weight balanced from left to right as well. If you only go out with one tank you should have either a ballast brick http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-brick.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-GtUMCFbtE4qzaFA-vijwCThEzL4xgHRTggJ0wpX94AaArjY8P8HAQ or just carry both tanks to stay balanced.

The 1235 is pricey but it will make a difference in the performance of your boat.

thanks..will try that..

but , do you think that for example 2 x 400-500lbs rear , mid 500, and bow 500 NEEDS wedge locked bottom or not?I mean, will that be too much for rear if i lock also wedge, because i know it should be like 40 : 60 in bow : rear....?

Go ahead and try with the wedge and the bow sack, see if that works for you. You already have some extra weight in the lockers with the tanks

I vote for the sumo floor sac! I have one and it puts the weight flat and low. Just for comparison, I used to run 2 600lbs in the cabin, now I just run the 800 floor sac and the two setups put out the same wake. Lead is ideal also.

My setup on my a22 is a bit overkill. I run 900 factory ballast, sumo 600's in the rear, 950 bow bag, 800 floor sac, 450 bag in the bow, 500lbs of lead spread through out, no wedge. Once i get the 2315 prop, I may throw down the wedge. The wake is massive, clean, and super predictable.

I vote for the sumo floor sac! I have one and it puts the weight flat and low. Just for comparison, I used to run 2 600lbs in the cabin, now I just run the 800 floor sac and the two setups put out the same wake. Lead is ideal also.

My setup on my a22 is a bit overkill. I run 900 factory ballast, sumo 600's in the rear, 950 bow bag, 800 floor sac, 450 bag in the bow, 500lbs of lead spread through out, no wedge. Once i get the 2315 prop, I may throw down the wedge. The wake is massive, clean, and super predictable.

:surprised::surprised::surprised: " a bit overkill"...xD.....you are using this setup for Wake boarding...? isn't it too much,i mean it looks more like weight for surfing...?anyway, great job and your boat is a bit bigger....

but i don't like too many sacks on my boat.I prefere something that is hidden,and i like to walk freely xD

:surprised::surprised::surprised: " a bit overkill"...xD.....you are using this setup for Wake boarding...? isn't it too much,i mean it looks more like weight for surfing...?anyway, great job and your boat is a bit bigger....

but i don't like too many sacks on my boat.I prefere something that is hidden,and i like to walk freely xD

Nope, only for wake boarding. The floor sac is only 8" in height and can be walked on.

Nope, only for wake boarding. The floor sac is only 8" in height and can be walked on.

you ridding pro level tricks, what's up with that much weight for boarding?

If you are ridding pro level post up some vids.

Lol, 750's in the rear, 500 mid, under seat bag in front and about 300lbs in walkthrough under playpen on mine. Bigger wake than I will ever need

for my meager skills. I don't think having a bigger wake is going to do anything for my progression....turning 50 tomorrow just hoping not to end

up in traction after a day on the water ha ha ha.

For the op I will linkt the often mentioned video of a young Byerly behind a boat with no wake , no tower, and on a board that was old when

Moses was a kid!

Holy schnikeys just went back and watched this myself...had only seen a very short version before. Crazy skills....

Edited by DUKENO1

Lol, 750's in the rear, 500 mid, under seat bag in front and about 300lbs in walkthrough under playpen on mine. Bigger wake than I will ever need

for my meager skills. I don't think having a bigger wake is going to do anything for my progression....turning 50 tomorrow just hoping not to end

up in traction after a day on the water ha ha ha.

For the op I will linkt the often mentioned video of a young Byerly behind a boat with no wake , no tower, and on a board that was old when

Moses was a kid!

Holy schnikeys just went back and watched this myself...had only seen a very short version before. Crazy skills....

Yes,i agree ...crazy skills...BUT, if you learned it already, i am sure that many guys could do it behind this boat ,with this gear..not all for sure,but something.....Not me, tho xD

And do you think that he learned all of this stuff behind this boat.......? maybe ,but....

anyway, i still think that good gear and better boat will help us that are still learning.

Yes,i agree ...crazy skills...BUT, if you learned it already, i am sure that many guys could do it behind this boat ,with this gear..not all for sure,but something.....Not me, tho xD

And do you think that he learned all of this stuff behind this boat.......? maybe ,but....

anyway, i still think that good gear and better boat will help us that are still learning.

No I agree , I think this guy could probably do some of this behind a canoe with me and you paddling! A friend of mine has a 96 Nautique Supersport

and a few years ago his young son was just getting in to wake boarding. The boat at the time had no ballast and no tower. (he has since added those

making it pretty much a Super Air Nautique) His son was complaining and telling his Dad that he needed to upgrade to a new boat because he was not

able to progress. I sent him this same video and he showed it to his son. The next time I saw his son he told me "Man you are sure not helping my argument!" lol

Your boat is the same hull as mine and I know once you get it dialed in you should be able to do anything behind it you could behind one of the newer

wake making monsters.

Just now seeing this, but I don't use lead because I have room back there for bags. There are various places people get it from but if you can avoid the lead that is better. It would be good if we could see a picture of the tank back there to see how much room it takes up.

That 100 pounds of ballast can make a huge difference in how clean the wake is. If you have enough people to move around you could balance it like that.

• 2 weeks later...

and what do you think about changing stock prop on my 2002 VLX with 1235 or something?I know many guys are replacing,especially owners of VLX ,but i must ask, because its a bit of a problem for me to get another prop, because i live in EU.

So, i'm just thinking is it really worthy to pay for new prop,extra shipping to Eu and i don't think that will be cheap, etc...

Just to remind ,i don't wake surf and my ballast will be about 2000 lbs , so only for wake boarding purposes.

My knowledge about 1235 is that ppl usually get it for wake surfing and a lot of ballast *and i have only 2000lbs* , and that you lose some maximum speed, but i don't need a speed anyway....I am satisfied with about 30 mph tops,when i am not wakeboarding.

Im more interested to help the boat plane out and save some fuel money? and is there any use of 1235 if the boat is NOT weighted with ballast?

Thanks

Edited by pedjavilotic

I have 2001 vlx and currently have the center full, 2 540s (1 in each rear locker) a 540 by the back seat bench on the floor and a anther 540 in the bow. The wake is beautiful, never too big. I use the OJ of the 1235, and it lacks a lil but I think when I go acme 1235 it will make a world of a difference.

I have 2001 vlx and currently have the center full, 2 540s (1 in each rear locker) a 540 by the back seat bench on the floor and a anther 540 in the bow. The wake is beautiful, never too big. I use the OJ of the 1235, and it lacks a lil but I think when I go acme 1235 it will make a world of a difference.

When you fill all of your ballast, do you use also wedge in down position?or are you satisfied with the wave without wedge?

Anyone know is it Acme 1235 good ONLY when you are filling ballast , or would you suggest it for every day use,with or without ballast?

I think the general opinion on the 1235 is that it is a good all around prop for people that load up with ballast. You won't be able to move that much ballast with any less aggressive prop. If you need extra top speed the 1272 has some more cup but will plane off slower.