Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New vinyl

Ifinallygota21v

What does everyone think of the new vinyl? Saw it today and like it but will be interested to see if it will show/hold dirt. Dark colors are supposed to stay cool in the sun too

There was a post on here a couple days ago about how the new vinyl was prone to rips/tears. Several posts in the thread about keeping it clean was an issue also. That said I have not seen or sat on a boat with the new vinyl. I'd be taking a cold hard look at it before buying based on the other thread.

ahopkins22LSV

There was a post on here a couple days ago about how the new vinyl was prone to rips/tears. Several posts in the thread about keeping it clean was an issue also. That said I have not seen or sat on a boat with the new vinyl. I'd be taking a cold hard look at it before buying based on the other thread.

That was one guy, not really a case to state the new vinyl is prone to tearing.

I spent a decent amount of time in 2016 boats already and I think it will be very nice. It feel much better and it doesn't seem to be any weaker than the old stuff. The new textures look sweet, but I think they will be a pain to keep clean. So texture selection will be key IMO.

i have been out on my new 2016 LSV 2 weekends only and my wife and I are not crazy about the new interior. We ordered the boat so it has not been demoed. Its brand new. The texture is very hard to clean. I make everyone board the boat from the swim deck and put flip-flops in the back two compartments under seats. But if there feet are the least bit dirty from the flip flops then you better wipe it right then. I clean with the 303 but that still will not get it completely out. We love the colors and the texture is ok if it would clean easier. If anyone has any ideas on better cleaner please let me know. Thanks

I recently put up a post about the new vinyl that was removed a few days after. The new vinyl is very fine and delicate. It scratches easily and we already have a large tear caused by storing a wakeboard on the floor (it is a wakeboard boat). The reason for my post was not to complain, but I think there may be a lot of issues in the future with this new vinyl. I was thinking Malibu would want to strengthen it to avoid warranty issues.

Edited by bbattiste247

I was in one yesterday, a buddy spilled alittle red energy drink on one of the seats and it cleaned right up, I also wiped down the interior of the boat after our demo and it all cleaned up nice, I guess time will tell, Nice thing is you have a warrenty so if it performs poorly and you have a great dealer I'm confident they will address any issues, Hopefuly by the time your warranty is up you will have a good idea if this new material will hold up, Anytime you buy a new model year we are all some what guinea pigs for the rest of the boat buyers, ex. the new dash...

i have been out on my new 2016 LSV 2 weekends only and my wife and I are not crazy about the new interior. We ordered the boat so it has not been demoed. Its brand new. The texture is very hard to clean. I make everyone board the boat from the swim deck and put flip-flops in the back two compartments under seats. But if there feet are the least bit dirty from the flip flops then you better wipe it right then. I clean with the 303 but that still will not get it completely out. We love the colors and the texture is ok if it would clean easier. If anyone has any ideas on better cleaner please let me know. Thanks

Best vinyl cleaner I have used is boat blings vinyl sauce

I recently put up a post about the new vinyl that was removed a few days after. The new vinyl is very fine and delicate. It scratches easily and we already have a large tear caused by storing a wakeboard on the floor (it is a wakeboard boat). The reason for my post was not to complain, but I think there may be a lot of issues in the future with this new vinyl. I was thinking Malibu would want to strengthen it to avoid warranty issues.

I remember that thread. Wasn't it the one where you never posted a pic?

• Like 3

You say you are cleaning with 303 (cleaner I assume), are you putting any of the 303 or other protectant on afterwards?

You need to see this " new vinyl " I think to understand it. It's not really vinyl at all. It's more like fabric than vinyl. I don't think applying a substance like 303 would be a good idea with this stuff. It kinda reminds me of a microfiber coat I have texture wise.

One of my first questions I had when seeing it was how stain resistant it would be, and I was told by the factory rep you could could pour red wine on it and it wouldn't be an issue. I think long term it may be problematic, but everyone is starting to use it. Mastercraft and Nautique are also using similar product currently.

Edited by Bawshogg
  • Like 2

If it keeps the seams from splitting out within the first 5 years, I think the cleaning issues would be worth it. I have seen it on a demo boat and it was a bit grungy already but I don't know if they tried cleaning it.

• Like 1

I got to see and feel the new Vinyl that doesn't get hot in the sun. It really isn't vinyl or is it? It was very soft to the touch. I would have concerns applying anything to it that's not water.

I've spent some time in a 16 25lsv demo, should have took a pic but didn't, the vinyl/fabric what ever it is looked really bad on the back seat from people stepping up over the engine cover. All I will say is check out a boat with a few hours on it before you order this stuff it's Along way from the old days of bullet proof Malibu vinyl.

You need to see this " new vinyl " I think to understand it. It's not really vinyl at all. It's more like fabric than vinyl. I don't think applying a substance like 303 would be a good idea with this stuff. It kinda reminds me of a microfiber coat I have texture wise.

One of my first questions I had when seeing it was how stain resistant it would be, and I was told by the factory rep you could could pour red wine on it and it wouldn't be an issue. I think long term it may be problematic, but everyone is starting to use it. Mastercraft and Nautique are also using similar product currently.

MC actually stopped using the fabric type vinyl 2 years ago because of difficulties in cleaning it, and because it didn't meet their new puncture resistance standards. They now only use the breathable pattern vinyl which is also a stay cool vinyl, but cleans easy and is extremely puncture resistant. I remember when I was cutting it to install my JL 8.8s in the X23..... I had to press really hard with a razor blade to puncture it. Rugged stuff.

I have never seen a Nautique with that fabric vinyl in it. My new G has the same stuff that CC has been using since 2013, except the white is more of a pure white now, instead of a grayish white.

I had the fabric vinyl in 2 of my MCs. I never tore it, but it was a battle to keep it clean. I typically use babes seat soap but that didn't work. I ended up using a foaming glass cleaner (ammonia free), and that seemed to work the best. Then followed up with babes seat saver.

I hear what you are saying, but when I was at the Mastercraft factory last November, several boats had this same material in them , so if they quit using it completely I would suspect it was just this model year. In fact , I demoed a 2015 x23 that had it in now that I think of it.

The brand new 2016 G23 at surf expo in the correct craft booth also had this "material" mixed in with traditional vinyl , so not sure what was going on there. I asked the factory reps there the same question and they all seem to believe it's bomb proof at this stage in the game.

I have my opinion wether it is or not, but time will obviously tell .

Talked to my dealer this weekend and he has already had two warranty claims on '16s. Both came from the factory so dirty they could not get them clean. Both were white. He is not a fan of the new vinyl.

Why was that thread shut down?

This is a Malibu site and I'm fairly certain they're not going to let anyone start running down or start negative trending messages about a feature or materials being used on their boats. No company wants bad press especially on something that is core to their entire product line.

There's always risk/reward to change and switching up interior materials is a real risk. "Buzz" like what's being created here may well effect sales especially from the "faithful" come boat show season. Just based on what I'm hearing so far at a minimum I'd be looking for assurances beyond the norm or putting off a purchase until I felt comfortable with the new product and let others take the risk. New boats are not cheap and I only get to replace mine every 5 years or so if I'm lucky. It could also negatively effect resale of these boats should the interior material go bust. MC had some real issues with vinyl in the 01 - 04 years and I advise people to steer clear or plan for the expense of a new interior when looking at these boats.

Edited by Bturner
ahopkins22LSV

This site has no affiliation with Malibu, it is run independently. Lots of examples of people complaining of certain things and or asking for major issue help.

Lots of 2016 boats getting to dealers now and out on the water. I am sure more feedback will become available quickly.

This is a Malibu site and I'm fairly certain they're not going to let anyone start running down or start negative trending messages about a feature or materials being used on their boats. No company wants bad press especially on something that is core to their entire product line.

Not at all true.

I hear what you're saying as to the look and feel, but so misinformation isn't out there, it is vinyl that has been rolled and pressed into the fabric-look.

It doesn't look very durable to me. I guess time will tell.

Can you really judge the durability of it by "looks" alone?

I've now demod TWO of the new Wakesetters and to me the new vinyl feels stronger and tougher than what I'm used to. I concur with Baws that it feels much more like the modern MC's I've been in.

I haven't tried to clean it yet, so maybe there's some validity to that argument. Oh, and I haven't dragged a wakeboard fin or a switchblade across it either. LOL.

• Like 3