Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater install...stuck intake manifold plug

jfw432

I've got the majority of my heater install complete in my 2000 Response LX but the plug on top of the intake manifold is stuck...and I mean stuck big time. First I tried with the engine cold. Then I tried warming up the engine a little to help expand things. I've tried pounding on the plug with the hex wrench installed to help break it free. Finally I used a breaker bar and ended up just rolling the hex wrench inside the plug.

Engine is the Monsoon.

Any ideas?

Edited by jfw432

If the plug is stripped and the allen wrench will no longer grip, you might need to drill it and use an extractor. Best to attempt to make sure no drillings/shavings go down into the engine by using a magnet while you drill also a little oil tends to make the shavings cling together. Hopefully @oldJeeps idea works so you do not have to go this step! good luck!

If it is stripped I would weld the thread end of a bolt to the plug and use that to remove it.

Can you weld on that plug? What is the material and that of the intake manifold? Looking for a serious answer.

Thanks

Can you weld on that plug? What is the material and that of the intake manifold? Looking for a serious answer.

Thanks

I'm guessing it's a steel plug and aluminum intake manifold. I don't have a welder anyway but even if I did, I'd be a little leary of doing it. I can see sparks melting carpet and seats. Not to mention the fuel line is only an inch or two away.

Thanks

I'm assuming steel plug since I've never seen an aluminum one on a production motor.

But if he doesn't have a welder and welding blankets I guess it is a moot point.

Ok so I used a propane torch around the plug but I don't really know if that helped or not. Since my 3/8" hex socket slipped once, I figured it wasn't going to be much use. So I took a 10mm hex socket, drove it into the plug with a hammer so it would have a nice fresh grip and managed to get it out that way. Took a little work to get the plug off the hex socket but I got it.

Now I've got little to no heat coming out of the heater and looking for ideas on the cause here. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57988-just-installed-heater-but-not-getting-any-heat/

Edited by jfw432
  • Like 2