Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Levels PSA (Douglas Lake, TN)

jb 156

A friend that owns a marina had an email from TVA that our lake is scheduled to rise 23 feet between now and Tuesday due to all the rain scheduled to hit this area and the North Carolina mountains. If you know of anyone who has a dock that is currently sitting on the ground be sure that they have it properly secured it could float away. The biggest change is from Saturday to Sunday (10 feet).

I checked the projections for Norris and Cherokee nothing too drastic (4 foot rise projected through Sunday).

Pretty sure as soon as we dry out the Bu is going to get winterized, after all this rain the lake will have lots of logs, trash etc to mess up the prop.

Interesting. Does he, or dock owners, need to be actively checking the marina and/or docks to allow them to adjust as necessary or do these things typically have enough flexibility to handle that much water level change?

Interesting. Does he, or dock owners, need to be actively checking the marina and/or docks to allow them to adjust as necessary or do these things typically have enough flexibility to handle that much water level change?

On Douglas the dock owners will need to be actively checking their docks to avoid damage or them just floating away. The lake moves quite a bit in a normal situation and has a gentle slope to the water in most areas, the docks get pushed out and pulled in as the water level changes.

• Like 2

On Douglas the dock owners will need to be actively checking their docks to avoid damage or them just floating away. The lake moves quite a bit in a normal situation and has a gentle slope to the water in most areas, the docks get pushed out and pulled in as the water level changes.

Thanks for the schooling. Something us landlocked people never really give much thought!

Oh yes. If you don't your dock could get stuck in a muddy pit which could twist, pivot, torque itself. This could be a pain if you live far away and don't have someone taking care of it for you.

use the TVA app to monitor levels on an hourly basis plus you get predictive levels at midnight 2-3 days out

i use this app all the time, especially when we are out of town. i remember a few years ago this happened and the lake was near winter pool and came all the way up to near summer pool in just a day or so. there was debris everywhere in the lake. i have noticed its already on the rise from last night to this morning. i guess this means dock maintenance is not over for the summer just quite yet.

What happens if you get too much rain? Does it go over full pool and if so how bad is the flooding?

I cant speak for Douglas Lake but on Chickamauga they the dam has spill ways to release excess water. It's quite a site if your below the dam.

I cant speak for Douglas Lake but on Chickamauga they the dam has spill ways to release excess water. It's quite a site if your below the dam.

They opened the Flood Gates on Norris a couple of years ago...it was awesome. I was told first time in 10 years.

They opened the Flood Gates on Norris a couple of years ago...it was awesome. I was told first time in 10 years.

TVA has been talking about it for days. Unfortunately, they have been letting Loudon stay somewhat low (this is all relative, as we only vary 5' from winter to summer), and they've dropped it down to 811.3 feet and counting (full pool is 813). 811 is about as low as I'll go with my boat, so given the trajectory, I'm not taking out my boat......not that I'd want to as I'm sure the lake will be full of debris. No idea what the dam looks like. I thought it was a 70' drop, but Melton HIll is only 20' below Fort Loudon, so I'm guessing not much. Besides, I think NOrris eventually feeds to Melton HIll via the Clench? So I imagine they don't be releasing much from Loudon.

What happens if you get too much rain? Does it go over full pool and if so how bad is the flooding?

In this picture Im floating where I would normally stand to go onto my dock walk board. The water is about 9' over full.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57813517@N05/shares/Ve9i87

this one is when the water is low, there are 20 steps into the water

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57813517@N05/shares/KW1E43

Edited by itznowonder