Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WS XXX V2 12" Subs x 2 Under Dash on a 2011 LSV?

RobbieRas

Hey Guys-

Long time member, but 1st post here. I've spent significant time researching this forum along with others on the net to gain some insight/feedback in regards to dual sub options, so my apologies in advance if there is another thread posted to address this topic.

I recently upgraded from a 2005 23 LSV to a 2011 23 LSV. I'm looking to revamp my stock stereo system this fall. Is there anyone on MC that has successfully installed qty. 2 wet sounds 12" XXX V2 subs with a custom ported box (built to spec) under the drivers console on a 2011 or similar year 23LSV?

I was able to run this set up with my 2005, however there seemed to be more room to work with than space/accessory constraints of the 2011. In my 05' I was running 2 12's pushing 1100 RMS per sub which sounded amazing. With that said, it seems as if everyone is running higher output single 12" subs (i.e. Exile big 12) with this year/make/model.

I'm being advised by a reputable NorCal shop, that they would have to cut into the floor to do the wet sounds xxx v2 dual 12" sub set up. Obviously, this is not a route I want to go as I don't want to affect the integrity of the boat, but also worried going from 2 to 1 sub is something I will regret based on my previous system.

Any feedback, suggestions or pics would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

Okay, so the Wetsounds XXX 12 calls for a bass-reflex enclosure of 3.5 cu.ft. external displacement. Two would be 7.0 cu.ft. external. I don't see that happening within the driver's side helm console. There's a lot of waste in that enclosure design so with a re-design and a shared enclosure you could probably get the collective external displacement well below 6.0 cu.ft. But with two sub drivers and one massive port, it would seem too complex to make all that fit....much harder than a single and larger sub. A ported enclosure with a bunch of elongated appendages just to get the correct displacement isn't going to work as well as a simpler enclosure.

So I would take an approach from the opposite direction. Design the absolute maximum external displacement enclosure that will fit your specific boat and still insert & remove. Once you have that established, select the woofer or combination of woofers that will best take advantage of the space you have.

As a pure jack hammer the Wetsounds XXX will move serious air. You won't do better in that respect. So I'm not recommending another brand. However, the best application in this case would yield the best performance regardless of brand. This is a project that should be application driven rather than model driven.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Possibly a dumb question, are al subs on 23 LSV's 12 inch? Need to replace mine and am unsure of the size, plus unsure of what to get (wet sounds, Rockford, etc). Any help is appreciated!

GK

IF your 2010 has a factory sub setup, it would be the Rockford Fosgate Marine 12" single 4 ohm. Whether it has a factory enclosure or no enclosure, I would treat it as a new install and build from scratch. The OEM enclosures are poor by a number of reasons and That era of malibu will not support a infinite-baffle install, not to mention that the factory sub is not a true IB. The amp is likely a 400W or 500W 2 chnl.

My old boat 2011 RZ2 i had 1 XXX in a ported enclosure with a SYN1 pushing it, and it was okay.

My new boat 2016 23LSV has a single Treo Eng 12" SSX in a ported enclosure with a Treo Eng amp 2000rms.

It sounds like 3 XXX subs are in my boat!! It hit very hard! Water splashes off the side of the boat at the water line.

Just another opion for you to look into.

MLA, I appreciate the guidance. I am not the most handy with tools, so if I were to just get a new one and put it into the current enclosure, then I should just get a Rockford? On the other hand, if I were to do a rebuild and get a better sub, then I need to build a new enclosure, plus a new sub, plus a new amp, correct?

You could go with another PM212S4 as it would be a simple plug and play. Output would be the same as it was. Given the cost (regular retail), I would consider another woofer, especially if you are not going to address the enclosure and tuning. Given that you have a failed woofer, one has to wonder if the poor execution and tuning may have contributed to the woofers death. Replacing the woofer fixes the effect, but may be leaving the cause to damage the new woofer. There are half a dozen solid woofers that would likely fit that cutout and be a decent match to the current amp. This is providing you're not worried about a woofer that looks different from the remaining speakers. Otherwise, stick with the PM212S4B. Within its power class of 300W rms, its actually a good marine woofer. Composite cone, not paper, rubber surround not foam, enclosed magnet not exposed, stainless terminals, ABS plastic basket and stainless mounting hardware and grill included. As noted, there are plenty of solid woofers in that power class, that are half the price. The kicker 40CWS124 retails for $99, has a 300/600 RMS/Peak wattage, rubber surround, composite cone, aluminum basket, enclosure magnet and works great in a small sealed enclosure about 1.0 ft3.

If you want to improve the sound quality and performance 10 fold, then build a proper enclosure for what ever woofer you go with and retune the amp. No new amp is needed, unless you want to step up to a new level of bass.

I'm not worried about the woofer matching the current system, that's not a big deal. You pose a good point in fixing the current issue, but not knowing if it will happen again.

Of the half dozen, beside the one mentioned, what is your top three. Budget is not much of an issue, but if the stock woofer is $350, I would like to stay around there. Thank you for all your help. I just don't have the confidence in myself to do some of the work your suggesting, without ruining something lol

On the higher end of the price and power handling scale, the XS-12 and 12W3 are worth a look, IF you are going to address the poor or no enclosure issue. These two will also allow for an amp upgrade power wise.

More inline with the Kicker price point wise, look at the JL 12W1, Rockford RM112D2B or P1S4-12, Alpine SWS-12D2