Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Restoration/Wheel Upgrade

BlknYlwT22

We recently purchased a 2000 Sunsetter LXI that came with a tandem trailer (2000 Boatmate). Unfortunately, the trailer is blue and does not match the boat. Next spring we are planning on painting the trailer and upgrading the wheels (I know nothing about wheel fitment on trailers) to something a bit nicer. I would love any suggestions for this entire process and anything I should think of while doing this.

Here's a picture of the trailer in its current state.

D0332BBA-1740-4FCE-A593-4E3F547ED63C_zps

As for the wheels, I had thought about something like these but am not sure if they will fit. They are simple and yet a huge upgrade over the current wheels.

IMG_1747_zpskup58sxg.jpg

Edited by BlknYlwT22

I have had both 14 and 15's. Both are fine. My current vlx has 15's on it. I would just find the wheel you like in either size, or whatever tire you currently have.

Edited by Fman

I have had both 14 and 15's. Both are fine. My current vlx has 15's on it. I would just find the wheel you like in either size, or whatever tire you currently have.

Do you have pictures of your set up?

I am in the market to do the same. Are your current wheels aluminum or steel?

I will be honest, I haven't paid much attention. I assume aluminum.

I'm 3.5 hours from you, and our lake house is about 1.75 hours from you. I'd be interested in the wheels if they are aluminum and in decent shape. Mine are similar to yours, but are steel and a little rusty. And my spare is the cheapie wagon wheel.

If that is the same color of yellow as my boat then I have a paint code that matches it very closely. I did the yellow on my trailer with it and it is a better match than the factory Boatmate yellow.

I'm 3.5 hours from you, and our lake house is about 1.75 hours from you. I'd be interested in the wheels if they are aluminum and in decent shape. Mine are similar to yours, but are steel and a little rusty. And my spare is the cheapie wagon wheel.

I have recieved a message about potentially swapping trailers. I will keep you posted if this doesn't happen and I am looking to get rid of the old wheels.

those look very similar to what was on my boat mate which was chrome plated steel.

I will have to look into this in more detail. Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a pic of my setup, very basic.

Should I be concerned about any fitment issues? Is Rhino Lining the trailer something to consider?

If that is the same color of yellow as my boat then I have a paint code that matches it very closely. I did the yellow on my trailer with it and it is a better match than the factory Boatmate yellow.

Appreciate you letting me know! I will probably do black but if something changes I will be in touch!

Call or email boatmate.

They will be able to give you the bolt pattern and wheel offset.

Take that information go to tirerack.come or onlinetires.com order what you like and it shows up at your house a week later. If you order tires and wheels on the same order they come mounted/balanced and ready to bolt on. Also NO Sales tax, if that aplies to you. 9% here so it makes a difference on big ticket items.

As for the wheels, I had thought about something like these but am not sure if they will fit. They are simple and yet a huge upgrade over the current wheels.

IMG_1747_zpskup58sxg.jpg

Might be able to find some of those from a TMC member who has blinged their trailer out with non stock wheels. Those are some of the most common wheels you see on Boatmate trailers, same ones that are on my trailer.

No picture, but pretty sure they are this wheel - 14" Velocity

http://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=835

Wheel with tire

http://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=854

Let me ask this, will my Sunsetter fit on a Sunscape 21LSV trailer and vice versa?

Might fit but I'll bet the balance would be off and mess up the tongue weight. I'd expect the axles to be in different locations for the same length direct drive and v drive

Might fit but I'll bet the balance would be off and mess up the tongue weight. I'd expect the axles to be in different locations for the same length direct drive and v drive

I had thought that exact same thing...

Call or email boatmate.

They will be able to give you the bolt pattern and wheel offset.

Take that information go to tirerack.come or onlinetires.com order what you like and it shows up at your house a week later. If you order tires and wheels on the same order they come mounted/balanced and ready to bolt on. Also NO Sales tax, if that aplies to you. 9% here so it makes a difference on big ticket items.

Luckily for me, TireRack is in my backyard so no need to pay for shipping. I will be calling Boatmate tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

As far as the paint goes, I wouldn't call Boatmate to get color code info on a 15 year old boat, they probably don't save that type of info that long. Besides, there's thousands of different colors, & hundreds of different yellows. As a body shop owner, either have the shop that's going to paint it match it to the gel coat, or provide them with the paint & take the boat to the paint store & they'll have color chips that you can walk out to the boat & match up closely. Expect to pay $200ish for a gallon of color, hardner, & reducer. I used BASFs Limco single stage line of paint to do trailers. It's a cheaper automotive paint, covered great, flowed out nice & decent wear. For the whole job at a body shop expect to pay $700, plus you'll need to get the boat off the trailer & store it at your local boat shop. There is a method to remove the boat yourself with some floor jacks & a boat dolly, but it's hard to explain.

14's and 15's = boring.

I upgraded to 18's. I just back from a 800 mile round trip to Norris Lake, through the hill/mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky, doing 70-75 most of the way, hitting 80-85 at the bottom of a couple hills. A lot more stable than the previous 14's...overall just tows better.

gnnq.jpg

7x67.jpg

IMG_7742_zpsjmhjcqub.jpg

I even hit a log at 55MPH on this trip (couldn't miss it) - tossed the side of the trailer into the air but the wheels/tires were fine.

Nitrous, I totally agree with 18s looking better but at the same we will probably tow the boat 10 miles a year. The current tires (14s) are in good shape and would like to avoid having to buy wheels and tires. The trailer needs a refresh undoubtedly and a new set of wheels would really finish it off but I am just not sure I want to sink $1,000 - $1,250 into wheels and tires.

Nitrous, I totally agree with 18s looking better but at the same we will probably tow the boat 10 miles a year. The current tires (14s) are in good shape and would like to avoid having to buy wheels and tires. The trailer needs a refresh undoubtedly and a new set of wheels would really finish it off but I am just not sure I want to sink $1,000 - $1,250 into wheels and tires.

If only I had $1200 into wheels and tires. :(

Should I be concerned about any fitment issues? Is Rhino Lining the trailer something to consider?

I really like the fenders with line x. Super nice for not slipping off them with wet feet or socks on. They also don't scratch or chip. Cost was about $150 to do them both.

I have a buddy who has a VTX with a trailer that has been sprayed with Rhinoliner. It is definitely tough, and non-skid, which is great on the fenders. But it has a flat black look to it. That's fine if that's what your after, but most of these trailers have a glossy finish on them.

LineX has a few other options though. It has a glossy look to it. And you can have them spray it with a couple grit options to it.....ie; the hard sandy finish, a softer rubbery grit, or none at all. No grit will turn out with an orange peel look to it, rubbery & tough. It can be slick when it's wet, but is a good surface to stick diamond plate, Hydroturf, or whatever.