Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom vs regular bags

Mattb422

why is there such a price jump with the custom bags? I have a 15 vlx and was looking at the ballasts and saw the price of the customs were 349$ for 820Lbs (and i wont loss rear bin) but what makes me not go and buy the 900 or 1100 for around 200$ and not fill them all the way up and leave bin in? Give me a break if its an obvious answer i'm a rook!

Why do hand build Rolls cost more than a chevy cobalt? Custom home v's spec home?

To start with, someone has to price out the sac, thats labor time. Next, they have to load that design into the CAD in order to cut out the patterns. Then, regular production has to stop, in order to get the custom order on the line. The advantage of having a custom fit sac for your particular boat does come at a cost. Other wise, one will compromise for an ok fitting production sac at a lesser cost.

The wakemaker bags are very nice, they also have two 1" ports for the Malibu PnP. When full they actually weigh 950-1000.

Some guys run the 750 sumos with good results, which also have the larger 1" ports. They are quite a bit less money. Really depends on how much weight you are wanting to run. I also believe with the sumo 750's you can retain your storage bins.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

I run the 750 sumo and the bins get pushed up. Also, yo uwill have to reroute your your ballast hose in the rear. I turned mine and cut out a notch for the hose to be at the very back of the wall, otherwise the rear hose will bend and not drain, basically kinks itself. I have yet to use the storage bins, so i just yank them and leave them in the truck. I leave them in if we are only cruising, no riding, and they might be used as a empty can catch.

you really think the custom bags can hold 950-1000 because im looking to biggest bag/weight possible but still have the best/cleanest install and fit. Boat is insured, weigh her down

will I have the kinking issue if I go with custom bags?

Hose kinking? In my experience, the PnP hoses need to be modified regardless of the sacs you use, in order to get the best fit. On a couple, ive even swapped out the supplied hose end fittings from the straight to the 90.

Shorten the rear hose. The hose length on the 16's is already the perfect length to take full advantage of all the available space. It's just a nub in the rear and about the same as 15 in the front. I typically remove the hose at the tank fitting and cut it on that end rather than removing the crimped end. 16 set up works well out of the box.

you really think the custom bags can hold 950-1000 because im looking to biggest bag/weight possible but still have the best/cleanest install and fit. Boat is insured, weigh her down

I have been told when fully loaded up on a scale they are in the 950-1000 range. I personally have not weighed them. Sorry about bogus info I gave you on the 750 sumo, for some reason I thought I read they would work and not push up the storage bins. I definitely stand corrected.

I say go for the wake maker bags, they are really nice. We use those bins for ropes helmets, gloves, etc... I really like having them available.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

I run the custom 824Lb Wake maker Bags in my 15 VLX , And I was one of the guys on here to recomend custom rear bags, because I thought it was silly to have to take out the rear bins/coolers.. I love how they fit and 824Lb is plenty of weight. I can also throw a few vest on top even when full, We did have to adjust the PnP hoses to make everything fit just right,

• Like 2

I only bought the wake maker bags because Vince personally endorsed them, infact I think mine have his signature on them :-)

Oh that's right, Next time I'm in Nor-Ca I will sign them for you!!

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info! Love this forum (even though i am going to have to spend the extra money on customs)

Call Wake Makers , Talk to Spencer, Mention my name and you just might get a discount....LOL You wont be disappointed! Shipping might take a little longer since they have to come to my place so I can sign them, But worth the wait!

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Call Wake Makers , Talk to Spencer, Mention my name and you just might get a discount....LOL You wont be disappointed! Shipping might take a little longer since they have to come to my place so I can sign them, But worth the wait!

Not to be a pest but i was going to call wakemakers and get some pricing for those bags and i see online already the dam price of the bags went up from 349$ to 439$, so you mentioned i could use your name and maybe receive a better discount. I know you said talk to Spencer already but what name should i give them from you?

• 2 months later...
On April 27, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Mattb422 said:

Did any one leave the rear connection on the bottom of the bag a straight fitting or put a 90 on it

Straight

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone continuing to have siphoning issues with the custom bags? Wakemakers sending me a pressure relief valve of some sort.