Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sometimes.... People surprise you.

TenTwentyOne

^^^

The boat appears to be an older Chaparall. They usually are powered by Merc sterndrives. I would bet 100 to 1 that it isn't the forward Volvo drive.

Either way isn't that system brand new? It would have to be a brand new 2015 boat to have that.

The surfer behind that boat is probably in the safest position. The 2 guys on the engine cover could easily get bounced out. And the one dangling the rope over the outdrive is just begging for problems.

Interesting that comments are disabled on that video.

People surprise me all the time on here by surfing without a pfd. Jussayin...

I guess I have not seen these videos. I consider most on this site to be pretty responsible and know what their doing....you have to have post 65 hours behind the helm.

I guess I have not seen these videos. I consider most on this site to be pretty responsible and know what their doing....you have to have post 65 hours behind the helm.

I'v surfed without and with one and to be honest my super thin Hyperlite competition vest is fine. Plus I'm lazy and if I don't have to keep myself afloat that's fine by me

Either way isn't that system brand new? It would have to be a brand new 2015 boat to have that.

The volvo version is. I think other manufacturers have had them for a little while. I posted the volvo version because it explains that its safer for surfing.

I'm sure much more of that activity will happen. Folks want to do it and they done have a inboard so there you go. The exhaust must be bad as well but I've never surfed anyway.

I'm sure much more of that activity will happen. Folks want to do it and they done have a inboard so there you go. The exhaust must be bad as well but I've never surfed anyway.

Exhaust wouldn't be too bad...Sterndrives exhaust through hub of prop...into the wash. Same principle as FAE.

Yeah, that video made me mad.

Idiots surfing stern drive

Idiots sitting on hatch right above stern drive

People standing up and moving around in the boat while it's underway

No common sense in that party...

Surfing looks dangerous to me with a platform...it is fool hardy without one.

Here is my story.

I have had boats for over 20 years and religiously put the anchor away after pulling it up until 4/12/14 when I left it on the platform thinking it would be safe to idle to another location.

My grandson said "let's go fast" so I went to 32 and decided to back off to 26 mph...unbeknownst to any of us the anchor, which I had forgotten about was stretched out 60' behind on its rope bouncing on the surface. When I made a turn to the right the 20 lb. anchor flew into the boat, my wife and one of my daughters were able to duck. I was next in line and it smashed the left side of my skull and poked a half inch hole in it at the hairline above my right eye. I came to being put in a truck for a 2 hour drive to the hospital.

It is a long road back to recovery but I am alive and no one else on the boat was injured... My wife 2 daughters and 3 grandkids.

One stupid decision can indeed alter many people's lives.

I rode my wakeboard two,weeks ago for a few minutes without any headaches and can't wait till next year when I think I will be able to handle the strain of a ski start.

Have fun, be careful and never take your head for granted!

Edited by Snrizedstr
  • Like 2

Surfing looks dangerous to me with a platform...it is fool hardy without one.

Here is my story.

I have had boats for over 20 years and religiously put the anchor away after pulling it up until 4/12/14 when I left it on the platform thinking it would be safe to idle to another location.

My grandson said "let's go fast" so I went to 32 and decided to back off to 26 mph...unbeknownst to any of us the anchor, which I had forgotten about was stretched out 60' behind on its rope bouncing on the surface. When I made a turn to the right the 20 lb. anchor flew into the boat, my wife and one of my daughters were able to duck. I was next in line and it smashed the left side of my skull and poked a half inch hole in it at the hairline above my right eye. I came to being put in a truck for a 2 hour drive to the hospital.

It is a long road back to recovery but I am alive and no one else on the boat was injured... My wife 2 daughters and 3 grandkids.

One stupid decision can indeed alter many people's lives.

I rode my wakeboard two,weeks ago for a few minutes without any headaches and can't wait till next year when I think I will be able to handle the strain of a ski start.

Have fun, be careful and never take your head for granted!

Geeeeze Glad you're doing better! Its crazy to think an anchor can do that!

Edited by jonredcorn

Says the guy with the least buoyant life Death vest in the world... Fashion over Function now that's cool... :thumbup:

Kind of like a woman going hiking with high heels..... :salute:

It's okay, you're still learning.... and stubborn. But you should heed the advice from your much more experienced friends. :cheers:

Interesting that comments are disabled on that video.

they went back and disabled it, because i had commented on it a few days ago when this thread was started. there was only one other comment at that time, something like "go buy an inboard you idiots". my guess is after posting it here there were a few select comments that pushed them over the edge :D that's good though--maybe it will make them give this a second thought!

Speaking of riding without vests....did anyone see the Dallas Friday pics of her wakeboarding wearing nothing but her birthday suit and a wakeboard? If not, go check out her Instagram....

• Like 2

Speaking of riding without vests....did anyone see the Dallas Friday pics of her wakeboarding wearing nothing but her birthday suit and a wakeboard? If not, go check out her Instagram....

Can't like this post enough!

Says the guy with the least buoyant life Death vest in the world... Fashion over Function now that's cool... :thumbup:

Kind of like a woman going hiking with high heels..... :salute:

It's okay, you're still learning.... and stubborn. But you should heed the advice from your much more experienced friends. :cheers:

Cubans Float....you should know this....I have diversified you