Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sometimes.... People surprise you.

TenTwentyOne

Saw this video on FB today. Started watching, and was like "cool drone footage", and then I saw it. The boat is an I/O, and doesn't even have a platform on it. So, then I'm thinking, "man, these guys are idiots".

Upon closer inspection, I notice that a good friend of mine is on the boat. A good friend that grew up wakeboarding, skiing, and then surfing. He knows all the etiquette, and he knows all the safety rules. I am baffled that he would do something so stupid. I checked the people tagged in the post, and sure enough, it's him.

People surprise you..... I hope Darwin doesn't reach out and touch my friend. Texting him now to let him know he is an idiot.

If you see somebody doing this, what would you do??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpK4XRkjoQ&feature=youtu.be

I know of 2 instances, in my area alone, where people have got their arms propped from doing that........ And he knows of them too. One was a 12 year old boy. Lost his arm. The other was a teenager, and just got slashed up a bit.

Looks to me like the guy is less than a boards length from where I surmise the prop would be. Really, really dumb. You are doing your friend a big favor by calling him out on this.

When they outlaw wakesurfing because people getting into outdrive props, I doubt they will distiguish between I/O's and inboards.

• Like 2

My anxiety went through the roof watching that! My hands have hit the platform on my boat after a fall, no doubt they would have gotten mangled in the prop had that occurred behind an I/O.

Totally agree, but let me ask this; what's a seasoned drivers very first response when he hears a loud bang on the hull..... or the boat makes some crazy noise? I know mine is to IMMEDIATELY take the boat out of gear. It's like second nature for me at least....

And I'm not saying that happens often (especially with a rider on), but it's happened 2 or 3 times to me in my boating life. Luckily every time, I had an experienced surfer who managed to miss the back of the boat OR ride up on the swim step... But still man...... That's a disaster waiting to happen. Just my 2 cents....

True enough - also as others have pointed out, I think the guy on the hatch is in more immediate danger than the surfer.

Totally agree, but let me ask this; what's a seasoned drivers very first response when he hears a loud bang on the hull..... or the boat makes some crazy noise? I know mine is to IMMEDIATELY take the boat out of gear. It's like second nature for me at least....

And I'm not saying that happens often (especially with a rider on), but it's happened 2 or 3 times to me in my boating life. Luckily every time, I had an experienced surfer who managed to miss the back of the boat OR ride up on the swim step... But still man...... That's a disaster waiting to happen. Just my 2 cents....

Totally beat me to it. My response would have been identical.

Totally beat me to it. My response would have been identical.

And that is where I would see the most likely fail. We have had boats cut us off while surfing, and yes, it was close enough that the driver had to back off the throttle quickly.

I have also had some times driving in hard for a spin trick and end up messing up, slipping, etc., and hit the platform on the way down. It is very rare, but I have even cut my hand on the center trim tab. Had it been an I/O, it would not have been good.

Surfing pretty good for what seems to be an unweighted smaller I/O.

Yes, it is not a wise move to surf behind an unprotected I/O. you should mention that to your friend, in fact just send him some gruesome pics, that'll usually help.

I know of 2 instances, in my area alone, where people have got their arms propped from doing that........ And he knows of them too. One was a 12 year old boy. Lost his arm. The other was a teenager, and just got slashed up a bit.

Now people do get injured by the prop all the time, but that is when they usually get backed over, or fall out of the front.

Now remove the swim platform and you have Darwin award 101 here. Yikes!

I see surfing behind I/O's all the time. Everything from bayliners to those 30ft speed boats. I shake my head every time.

Fortunately, most are surfing too fast and about 10ft too far back to even go ropeless or even get close to the prop.

My Crownline had a big extended swim platform. I surfed behind it once. Watching the Bravo 3 props spinning in the water was enough for me to decide that it wasn't for me.

I also see more and more people surfing behind sterndrives. But have yet to see a first hand accident report.

I know its unlikely - but is it possible that this is one of those "Forward Drive" motors? (like this one, meant for surfing: http://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/volvo-penta-forward-drive-designed-for-wake-surfing-introduced-at-miami/)

I mean - no, I would never surf behind one of those regardless because it has no platform... I would prefer an older outboard boats from the 60s with LaRue "Joker" Osborne, ski champ and surfing expert.

**Edit - never mind, looks like he died 15 years ago. Guess I'll make it work with the VLX.

Edited by jonredcorn

Congrats to the OP for calling his friend an idiot. I regularly call my closest friends idiots and they realize it is a term of affection and that I only have their best interests in mind. Especially those that have me listed as a foster for their parentless kids.