Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23 LSV - Sub Enclosure Depth

Murphy8166

Going to be putting together some cardboard boxes this weekend to get an idea of what sub enclosure can work in my boat.

It appears that I will need about 1.6 cu.ft for a sealed enclosure when it is all said and done.

I'd like to retain the current position of the factory facade that comes with the boat and wanted to see if anyone else had put a box back there that aligned with what I am looking to do.

If so - how deep was the box you made?

Tried to PM IXFE - could not.

But the the box that he built looks good but I dont need anything that big.

Hoping he has some rough dimensions he can post up.

Do you have a heater? I do not.

That will limit your depth.

I'll look up my depth when I get home.

I did a little digging on the site anscsayvthatcavlotvof guys have started to use that QBomb single 12" wedge box which looks to have a depth of 14" inches.

I'm looking at 16" wide x 16" tall and 14.625" deep so that should work.

Do you have a heater? I do not.

That will limit your depth.

I'll look up my depth when I get home.

Did you ever get a chance to look at your depth?

Your box looks very similar to the one that ShawnDoggy built?

Is the volume critical or will a box that's close on volume basis room back there improve sq?

A sealed enclosure is going to be more forgiving in terms of volume either being above or below the target volume. A ported enclosure is not nearly as forgiving as the target volume greatly impact the tuning. If a dimension has to be altered in order to make the enclosure fit, the port has to also be adjusted.

Did you ever get a chance to look at your depth?

Your box looks very similar to the one that ShawnDoggy built?

Sorry, Murph. I suck. I've been traveling a ton and my dimension sheet is at home. Plus the boat is gone too.

Go with what SD says... 13"

Did you find my 2015 build thread? Lots of pics and details in there. The key for me was building a prototype out of styrofoam (not cardboard). That way I could mimic not only the exterior dimensions, but the interior dimensions as well. You can buy sheets of styrofoam at Home Depot for cheap and cut it with a pocket knife or kitchen knife.

Now that I think about it I think I ended up making the final version even shallower... maybe 12"... in exchange for more height... 20" I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Murhpy, Here is what I used with the Exile Big 12 sub and it has been working great and actually sounds pretty good as well. I believe a few other guys are also using this one as well. Fits under the helm with or without heater core. I did add a small piece of 2x4 inside the box under the cone to help support the extra weight of the big 12.

http://www.amazon.com/Qpower-Single-Sealed-QBOMB-QBOMB12SSINGLE/dp/B00C92P304/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1445348111&sr=8-3&keywords=qbomb12+single

• 3 weeks later...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv195/jeremysmail35/7ada2e20-0270-4d13-b667-7f76fb5e1eaf_zpsry30v8xh.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv195/jeremysmail35/fc91a3f4-a498-454e-a925-5ada115a6bd2_zpsfhml1ntp.jpg

I built the box to the specs above and then added the front panel which was exactly the same as the factory box so that I could reuse the carpet. If you have more questions or are going to use this box or something similar, message me and I will give you some tips that will save you a lot of time.

Yes please.

Edited by jsmail

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv195/jeremysmail35/7ada2e20-0270-4d13-b667-7f76fb5e1eaf_zpsry30v8xh.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv195/jeremysmail35/fc91a3f4-a498-454e-a925-5ada115a6bd2_zpsfhml1ntp.jpg

I built the box to the specs above and then added the front panel which was exactly the same as the factory box so that I could reuse the carpet. If you have more questions or are going to use this box or something similar, message me and I will give you some tips that will save you a lot of time.

Thank you. I am looking at building a box this winter.