Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX 22 hull

smooky

It would be worth considering resale if there truly isn't much difference between the hulls at surfing speeds. Depending on how long you plan to keep the boat. From what I've seen diamond hulls appear to be more popular overall.

Ask your dealer which they sell more of, wake or diamond hulls on the 21 to 23 foot hulls. That would give you an idea of the demand for resale. For surfing it will not make a difference so get the one that helps resale.

It would be worth considering resale if there truly isn't much difference between the hulls at surfing speeds. Depending on how long you plan to keep the boat. From what I've seen diamond hulls appear to be more popular overall.

not down here. On my 2010, I had many calls where the 1st question was "wake or diamond hull" Many walked because it was not a wake hull.

When I was ordering mine, the dealer (who I fully trust) indicated that the pros to whom she has talked said that the difference in the wake between the two is nearly imperceptible for wakeboarding and surfing. I unfortunately wasn't able to get a diamond hull, as there were no more spray dates available for 2015 for that hull, and had to get a wake hull. Haven't skied behind it, yet, but dont' really expect much of a slolam wake in a boat that weighs 4300 pounds!!!! But, it is supposed to make a slight difference.

I agree with Brian, but imo if I had the option when ordering I would go wake plus hull. Its perception to the potential buyer, or at least those buyers who even know about the wake hull. How many people do you see slalom skiing behind these? I cant remember the last time I actually have seen a slalom skier behind a wake boat of any kind, let alone someone skiing behind a v drive.

I have heard rumor that if you engage LIFT mode with new PW2 the slalom wake drastically improves on these boats, even though the high speed alarm will engage. Anyone here actually tried this?

hmm, when there is no difference in Wakeboarding and Wakesurfing, why does Malibu not only sell one hull? Call ist Diamond Pro and make a 4 Min Movie that explains how hard they have worked in the past years to make the perfekt hull for Skiing to Surfing. Should reduce cost to develop and produce only one type of mold?

hmm, when there is no difference in Wakeboarding and Wakesurfing, why does Malibu not only sell one hull? Call ist Diamond Pro and make a 4 Min Movie that explains how hard they have worked in the past years to make the perfekt hull for Skiing to Surfing. Should reduce cost to develop and produce only one type of mold?

Because

On my 2010, I had many calls where the 1st question was "wake or diamond hull" Many walked because it was not a wake hull.

It is a marketing tool. Not everyone responds to logic (shoot, otherwise, John Coltrane would be a whole lot more popular than Justin Beiber).

Pretty sure that is what they have done with the vtx for 2016. New diamond hull seems to be only hull.

I believe this will happen one day. It is my belief that their previous marketing will make it difficult to undo perception, especially for the purists. I have heard of other benefits other than ski wake such as cruising ride quality and that it reduces the porpoising effect. I know I am in the minority of people that own a wakeboat and still enjoy an occasional free ski. I have a 2012 VLX but I didn't choose it because of any reason associated with skiing. IMHO it don't really matter. Resale? Maybe (Fman says yes, IXFE says no. Two guys that I respect their opinions) Wake wise? I'm convinced there is no tangible difference.

Pretty sure that is what they have done with the vtx for 2016. New diamond hull seems to be only hull.

That would make sense for the VTX as it is marketed as a cross over and is waterski tow boat approved for competition

That would make sense for the VTX as it is marketed as a cross over and is waterski tow boat approved for competition

It was only certified one year almost 10 years ago, only boats certified in recent years are prostar,txi,nautique 200 and carbon pro.

Edited by oldjeep

I believe this will happen one day. It is my belief that their previous marketing will make it difficult to undo perception, especially for the purists. I have heard of other benefits other than ski wake such as cruising ride quality and that it reduces the porpoising effect. I know I am in the minority of people that own a wakeboat and still enjoy an occasional free ski. I have a 2012 VLX but I didn't choose it because of any reason associated with skiing. IMHO it don't really matter. Resale? Maybe (Fman says yes, IXFE says no. Two guys that I respect their opinions) Wake wise? I'm convinced there is no tangible difference.

Ahhh, thanks man... I respect your opinion too, and Fman's too!

I'll let others debate if there's a performance difference between the two hulls. In my case I couldn't tell the difference in any discipline.

As far as resale I think it depends on what's most common in the local area. In my area the dealer orders Wake hulls. The Diamond is rare. So in my area I think I agree with Fman... if your buyer is educated enough to ask, a Diamond hull could be a drawback around here. Other dealers order exclusively Diamond hulls do the opposite could play out. Most buyers don't know to even ask.

It was only certified one year almost 10 years ago, only boats certified in recent years are prostar,txi,nautique 200 and carbon pro.

Don't you have to PAY to get recertified EVERY YEAR?

If so, I could understand why Malibu wouldn't do it every year for the VTX, but I'm kinda surprised the Response isn't on your list.

Ahhh, thanks man... I respect your opinion too, and Fman's too!

I'll let others debate if there's a performance difference between the two hulls. In my case I couldn't tell the difference in any discipline.

As far as resale I think it depends on what's most common in the local area. In my area the dealer orders Wake hulls. The Diamond is rare. So in my area I think I agree with Fman... if your buyer is educated enough to ask, a Diamond hull could be a drawback around here. Other dealers order exclusively Diamond hulls do the opposite could play out. Most buyers don't know to even ask.

Hope I didn't put words in your mouth. I thought I recalled you mentioning you had no problems selling one of your boats that had a diamond hull, even in your area that pretty much exclusively deals with wake hulls. I apologize if I was mistaken.

I recently got to ride behind a 22 vlx and I think the wakesurf wake is REALLY good. With all the plug and play and added bow ballast of course. But I didn't notice much of a difference from the 22 to the 23. It was really fun.

Mason posted a video in the watersports section that shows me riding behind it.

• Like 2

Hope I didn't put words in your mouth. I thought I recalled you mentioning you had no problems selling one of your boats that had a diamond hull, even in your area that pretty much exclusively deals with wake hulls. I apologize if I was mistaken.

You're 100% correct. I had a '13 VLX Diamond that sold easily. It was consignment so I never met the buyer, but the Diamond was not an issue. I suspect the buyer wasn't aware there was even an option for a different hull. Uneducated. In fact I've sold 4 Malibu's and nobody has ever asked. Honestly, it's a non-issue.