Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Former Malibu owners...

Cmb396

If any of yall have switched from a Malibu(08-12 models) to Axis, how would you compare the surf wake?

I had my mind made up that I'm ordering a T23, but the shopper in me keeps looking.

I have found some non SG malibus that I think I'd be happy with, and in my budget. One happens to be a 247 that I really like!! Also has the ls3. So my question is, for the same money, would a 10-12' model lsv or 247 be a better surf boat, or comparable to a new t23 with surfgate? Or is it all relative to an amateur and I should just get whichever I like best? Haha

Lemme know your thoughts. Thanks.

I would take surfgate over no surfgate in a heartbeat. It is so much easier. Both will make great waves well beyond my skill level. I'm not even approaching either wave's potential for a while. For me it a decision based on easier driving and convenience. Surfgate all the way.

• Like 3

I was in a similar dilemma last year as I was looking for a later model Malibu w/o surfgate but ultimately decided on the new Axis as I could order the boat exactly how I wanted and I could easily switch side to side for different riders. You can definitely get as good of a wave out of non surfgated boat but our crew has a mix of right and left foot forward surfers and with 86 hours on the boat this season, I have no regrets. The ease of toggling a switch between riders was icing on the cake.

I was in a similar dilemma last year as I was looking for a later model Malibu w/o surfgate but ultimately decided on the new Axis as I could order the boat exactly how I wanted and I could easily switch side to side for different riders. You can definitely get as good of a wave out of non surfgated boat but our crew has a mix of right and left foot forward surfers and with 86 hours on the boat this season, I have no regrets. The ease of toggling a switch between riders was icing on the cake.

This was me to a "T" last year. Still convinced I made the right decision.

A 2010 LSV should be quite a bit cheaper than a new T23. 2012 your getting closer but still not there. For a more comparable price you should be looking at 2013 LSV's that have a surfgate. Both about low to mid 70's. The decision gets a little tougher.

Edited by Simo

Once you add the 450 to the T23 (which I'd definitely want in order to push a full boat with full ballast for a max surf wave***), you are easily into 2014 LSV territory. Especially if you live somewhere that you don't pay sales tax on a private party used transaction.

***The one lesson that I think rings true for SG boats is that they require more power to create a similar wave to what a listed boat would do. I'm at altitude and there is no way that a 350 equipped surfgate boat could ever get it done here.

• Like 1

That's true Simo, 10/11 lsv's seem to be in the 50s. Problem is, like I mentioned in my other thread, I'm a color snob, but happened to find two malibus that I could work with, and they're close to me. A orange/white 247 for upper 60s, with an ls3, and a black/white lsv (that I could put some vinyl on to change color) for low 50s. Both 2010 models.

get the surfgate. If you want new, go wiith the T23 and you won't be disappointed. Like previous said, you could look for a 2 year old LSV for roughly same amount of money, but not sure if it would have larger motor for that price.

I owned a 2010 247 that I absolutely loved. It was great for wakeboarding and for hanging out at the lake. We used it to surf sometimes and it made a good wave as along as you weighted one side and used the power wedge. But it was a pain to keep changing sacks from side to side and then emptying them to wakeboard or relocate to smoother water. Now we own a 2016 23lsv and we primarily wakeboard and surf with ease, but we seldom go to the lake to just hang out - kind of miss doing that once in awhile.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • 2 weeks later...

Another question for those who've owned both, quite simply, is the Malibu worth another 10-15k over the price of an axis?

I found a 2015 lsv 23, that I absolutely love! It's about 12k more than a T23 optioned and ordered the way I want it.

Edited by Cmb396

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a better fit and finish with a higher end feel, Malibu all the way. If you are going to have teenagers on the boat and are concerned about the mess they make aka "retentive", Axis is the way to go. We just got a '16 T22 and love it (coming from an '07 vRide). It is more bare bones from a luxury standpoint but the wake/wave is amazing and everything us novice to intermediate riders can handle.

If it was just my family and no other kids on the boat, the LSV would have a huge draw. We usually have a few extra kids around so the Axis is the way for us.

Another question for those who've owned both, quite simply, is the Malibu worth another 10-15k over the price of an axis?

I found a 2015 lsv 23, that I absolutely love! It's about 12k more than a T23 optioned and ordered the way I want it.

This is almost the exact same position I was just in. We were set on ordering a '16 T22 and had it optioned pretty heavy, including the 450 motor. Dealer ends up with a hold over '15 LSV that is beautiful and has the LS3. The price difference was close enough that we had to consider it. If we were looking at a T23 it would have been even closer. Went for a demo and it was all over. The axis is a very nice boat but not on the same level as the Malibu. We really enjoyed the interior layout of the Malibu and the touchscreen was ridiculously easy to use. I know screens aren't for everyone but I really liked the functionality of it. The power wedge was another feature that pushed us over the edge. It is really nice having the ability to change the wave or wake. My wife really likes the wave mellow and flat. I love the wave steep and fast. We ended up going with the lsv and won't look back. I really enjoyed our A22 and the T22 would be a great boat but the lsv is just in a different category.

Something else to consider is the T23 is a bigger boat than the lsv and requires a lot of weight. Good luck with your choice. It's a nice problem to have :biggrin: