Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buyer Beware: 2010 VTX in Ohio

Love2Ride

Hey all,

A friend of mine is looking for a 2010 or newer VTX and came across one here in Ohio. The seller's name is Joel and my friend and I met him up on a reservoir just north of Columbus. He advertised the boat as in "mint condition" with no issues at all. At first glance, the boat was clean, but after closer inspection, there were items of concern. I crawled under the boat to take a look at the hull. There were two long, poorly done, repairs on each of the chines. When asked about the repairs, he insisted that there was never any repairs completed on the boat. I told him that it was very obvious there were repairs done, so he proceeded to call his boat mechanic at a marina near his home lake. He put his phone on speaker so we could hear what was said, and the conversation went something like this:

Seller: Hey [Mechanic's Name], was there ever any repairs done on the hull of my boat?

Mechanic: Ummmmm, yea, your son scratched it putting it on the lift, remember?

Seller: Why didn't you guys call me and let me know?

Mechanic: I called you and asked you about it and you said to move forward with the repair.

Seller: I don't remember that.

Mechanic: Ummm, you definitely called us and we discussed it.

At this point, my friend and I start to have uneasy feelings about him. That was the major item, but after he continued to tell us that he is "too busy to take care of his boat" and "he pays people to do it for him", I said that I was busy too, but I still find time to take care of my $70,000 investment!

Another thing that we didn't care for is that he insisted that we could get new spinner racks for the Illusion X tower for $150 / rack. My friend had already looked them up on Bakesmarine.com and called our local dealer, and they were both around $750 / rack.

The guy obviously didn't care for being called out about the repairs and the price of racks, etc. So he got pissed, whined for a bit and packed up and sped off. My friend looks at me and says "what just happened?" :lol: If he wasn't being honest about those items, then what else was he not being honest about....

Needless to say, my friend and I are glad that the opportunity passed him by. SO, if anyone out there finds a white/gray 2010 VTX with just under 250 hrs in Holiday Lakes, OH being sold by a guy named Joel, beware.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S.: The VTX in question is NOT the 2010 listed by TC_2006_VLX in the classifieds.

Edited by Love2Ride
  • Like 2

Funny, I had someone at the dock a few weeks ago (getting into an I/O) ask what my screen name was (I have my TMC transom pad on). He ended up leaving the lake the same time we pulled the boat out and asked a few questions about my FAE and said he was also a new member here. He had just got a '10 VTX as well, though it can't be the same guy. Don't see too many VTX's around here (plenty of Malibu's, just not the VTX).