Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ronix Koal Skimmer opinions?

Badger

I am using a Ronix Koal Skimmer (4’9”) demo surf board this week. It is way faster and feels much shorter than my 5’ Liquid Force Venture that is about 8 years old. It’s fast enough to the point that I feel like I should be able to actually catch some air off the lip of the wave. (Of course I can’t actually do it, but have taken some nice falls, trying.) I’ve had to speed up the boat by 0.4-0.6 mph over what we normally run just to stay off the brakes the entire time.

I’m interested in a buying a skim board like the Ronix, but not sure of opinions on this one versus some of the other companies. I haven’t seen a lot of reviews on this Ronix on-line. I could probably buy this demo for under $300 but it is beat up with a couple of decent gouges out of the edge. I will have a hard time spending more than $500-$600 on any board and would love to find a “end of summer” deal right now. I’m nervous to buy without trying and then realize I hate what I bought.

Does anyone have any opinions on this board and recommendations as to whether I should keep looking? I’m 5’8” and about 165 lbs.

i haven't been on the koal skimmer , but rode the carbon skimmer 4-10'

I am 6'4 240 so take this for what it's worth.

It rode faster and looser than my PowerTail, and I liked the forward fin for switch control, but I would bury the nose on several bottom turns and didn't recover well . Probably because it was a little small for my size , the smaller riders on that trip seemed to like it , but I would put them in the novice category.

The Victoria Factor PCX I rode a few weeks prior was much faster and performed much better IMHO.

Calling WakeMitch.

Thanks Stevo. After seeing your reference to WakeMitch, I went out on a search of him and the Victoria Factor PCX. From different threads, I see he has multiple recommendations for the Victoria Factor PCX, the Phase 5 Danielo Diamond or Pro, and the Inland Surfer Keenan Pro Skim in the skim board category.

I haven't seen many positive comments about the Ronix that I'm using, so I think I will hold off and see if I can get my hands on one of the above boards from somewhere.

I'm not into surfing yet, but I have bought wakeboard gear from ambush board company several times. They have a price match guarantee, and shipping is lightning fast. They're out of Atlanta, and if I order before 2pm I get my gear the next day, even with regular ground shipping.

For between 500-600 you can get a really sweet 2016 Victoria and you might be able to find a close out 2015 phase 5 for that much

You will find that the ride is way better and easier on a skim style board from a skim company. Phase 5 has been building boards since the 80s and Victoria has been since 76

Edited by wakemitch
  • Like 1

Wakemitch - thanks for the reply. Do you consider one of those "better" than the other? Or is it just a matter of cost at this point - buy the one that might be cheaper? I only want to buy one time!

They are both top of the line. The shapes are different and that just comes down to preference. If you are new to skim style riding, you can't go wrong with either. And you will never out progress the boards, nor will you ever break one.

Just putting this out there. We all know Phase 5 is a proven company with quality and rave reviews. Not to mention years of podiums in contest. Lately there have been wake surf weekends put together that feature lots of boats and boards that average people attend and review. Seems like the Victoria Factor or Factor PCX has been rated as a favorite board by these average weekend riders and advanced riders

Thanks all. I'm on the lookout for a Victoria PCX. I'd like to find an end of the season sale, but coming up empty so far.

Checkout Boardstop or Calmarinesport

+1 for the Victoria Factor PCX. I've rode a Ronix Carbon Skimmer for the majority of this year, and while it has been a good board, the Factor PCX is legit. I like the way the board handles on the rails, spins with ease, and gets good pop. I've had it for 2 weeks and been liking more and more...

• 4 months later...

Norcal Mastercraft in discovery bay is the only shop with a 2015 PCX. It's a medium and looks pretty cool.

they are closed today but will be open tomorrow 12093171699

Bakes Marine also carries Victoria now. They only have 2016s, but they always have great prices

Edited by wakemitch

I'm still trying to decide between the Victoria Factor PCX and the Inland Surfer 4-Skim Squirt. Looking for a skim board to spin on. Anyone have experience to compare these two boards, or know of a past discussion thread? (UpperLeftWake's comments made me ditch the Ronix Carbon Skimmer idea.)

Thanks