Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

94' Echelon LX Throttle Trouble

Just recently purchased a 94 Echelon LX.. took it out and it runs solid!! Boat has only 300 hours on it. Hoping to post pictures soon. But i was having trouble getting the throttle into gear. The lever was really difficult to push forward and even more difficult to get into reverse. It glides into gear but the lever is just super stiff to get out of neutral. Ive only driven a few different ski boats but none have been this difficult. Any ideas on how to get the lever easier to move in and out of gear? I took off the throttle box by taking out the three screws but i didn't know what I could do to fix it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys !!

Take the throttle and shifter cables loose at each end. Cycle the cables by hand in and out. The move the shifter mechanism forward and back on it's own with no cables. this should show you where the tension is coming from.

If you do need to replace the cables I recommend a brand call U Flex and their Mach series. Not much more expensive than standard cables but way more responsive and will tolerate bends very well. I would also replace the shifter end barrels which will need to be ordered seperately. The engine end does not have a wear issue.

I can't tell you how many times I have looked like a mechanical fix-it genius by simply taking something apart, cleaning it, adding some lube and putting it back together again. Go for it.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the throttle apart and unattached the cables. Found out that the throttle lever moves like butter, so it is in fact the cables that need replacing. If i buy the u flex mach series 3300 style cables will this slide into the red tubes that are already in the boat? Is the cable install difficult?

thanks! any input is appreciated

@Hopper: The cables are complete units, so you will remove the cable which includes the outer housing and replace with the new one. As for replacement, you want to attach a string or cord to the old cable as you remove it and use the cord/string as the umbilical cord to pull the replacement cable through the small passage along the stringer. There are several posts on this site that also describe the process from other Malibu owners.

You can try an alternate fix, disconnect the cable from one end and hold upright. while moving the inner cable back and forth, pour ATF fluid and work that through the cable. I have been very successful with that technique on a steering cable.