Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Leak

iliketoski

Over the summer, I was experiencing some oil in the water in the bilge. Not a ton, but definitely there and noticeable.

Now trying to figure out the source. Several years ago my V-Drive was leaking and the dealer replaced some gaskets, that "were known to leak". Expensive job, had to pull engine and then v-drive.

I've tightened up the 4 bolts on the bottom of the v-drive and the drain plug, I've checked the oil filter, drain hose and oil pan. Does anyone have any ideas of other locations to check/tighten. Do any of the hoses circulate oil (V-drive) that I might check for tightness, or anything else?

Definitely not transmission fluid.

Being a 2001, I imagine you have the Walter VD. The pressure sensor should be on the boats left/port side of the VD. A quick touch will confirm a leak. The other leaky place could be the trans cooler lines that enter the trans cooler on the (right rear side) of the block. It looks like a long black cylinder with 2 lines plumbed into the side. The Walter in "2001" should have 1 QT straight 30W oil in it. So if the leaking oil is pink it is trans fluid not VD fluid, but it sounds like you ruled that out. Check the oil pan drain plug. IIRC, there were a few guys that had the pans rust out leaking oil into the bilge.

@iliketoski: I would add valve covers & crank seals to the list of potentials along with the breather hoses on the valve covers. Have you tried to identify what part(s) on the engine are damp with oil? run you finger around / along different surfaces to see if there is oil along the pan rails, any mounting brackets, under the bellhousing to at least narrow the leak down to front/rear, left/right/center etc. White paper towel is a good tool for that as the oil will show up right away. That will allow you to focus on a certain area to isolate where the oil is coming from.

• Like 1

Is this the same as the pressure sensor?

Yes, a pressure activated switch that trips an alarm if your oil drops below 6psi. The oil pressure sending unit for your guage is on the top of the engine by the distributor (probably not leaking).

Checked last night and there was definitely some oil around the pressure sensor on the VD, every other place I check was completely oil free, (around the oil filter, pressure switch, oil pan). Although there was oil around the sensor (it was slightly loose), it didn't seem that much oil would leak there, although maybe under operation the pressure kicks up and pushes the oil out, no clue as to the pressure it sees.

BTW, if I'm right, it appears that above my filter are both the pressure switch and the pressure sending unit, could that be right? Mich boarder says the sending unit is by the distributor.

Mine is actually different, I have a T there with both devices. I'm guessing one is the pressure switch and one is the temp sender.

I'll try to get a pic tonight.

Mine is actually different, I have a T there with both devices. I'm guessing one is the pressure switch and one is the temp sender.

I'll try to get a pic tonight.

One is a pressure sender and feeds your dash gauge. The other is a switch and tells your ECM whether or not you have minimum oil pressure or not and will sound alarm if you don't....that's why you hear a beeping if you turn the key on but don't start the engine. No oil temperature sensor on your engine.

Edited by RTS

One is a pressure sender and feeds your dash gauge. The other is a switch and tells your ECM whether or not you have minimum oil pressure or not and will sound alarm if you don't....that's why you hear a beeping if you turn the key on but don't start the engine. No oil temperature sensor on your engine.

Sorry mistyped, meant pressure sender (talking temp sensor in other thread)