Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difference between factory and dealer installed towers?

Chatty21VLX

Is the only difference the fore and aft position of the mounting brackets? Would there be any way to tell who installed my tower?

The only way to know for sure is via documentation and/or calling Malibu to ask; This assumes that you're talking about a Malibu tower, if it's a 3rd party tower then Malibu didn't install it...

I don't think the VLXs were ever sold without a tower. It could have come with a Skylon tuna tower & been retrofitted later. In doing so they may have used the original front holes.

Running the HIN with your dealer should tell you for sure.

So why do you ask?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I ask because I ordered a Westland cover, and the website says it will only fit on boats with the tower installed at the factory. It's actually pretty specific about it.

Of course the covers aren't returnable for fitment issues, so i'm starting to sweat it a little.

I'd check the HIN with a dealer.

Or check install locations of other Titan / VLX installs. Should be pretty easy to check visually. All the feet are installed on top of the gunnels. Rear feet are maybe 6" or 8" directly behind the windshield.

I don't think a couple inches off would even make a difference in how the cover fit.

That's what I was thinking. They probably made the pattern from a factory-installed tower boat and have to add that stipulation to cover themselves since they don't accept returns on semi custom covers.

• Like 1

Heres a shot from above my own boat. Same hull, 4 yrs newer, similar tower. Your rear hoop is probably straight whereas mine has a bit of a curve to it. Gives you a good idea where the feet are mounted. Google terms like "2001 VLX Titan install" and you will find tons of other pics, some of which might show you how it's been done.

20130217_105603_zps21cd6a25.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Wakednscu, that is the exact same boat I have. Same color combo and everything (except I don't have the tower pads)! Thanks for the pics! When you fold the tower do you lay the front wishbone onto the windshield, and lay the back hoop on the sun pad?

I have a new phone with no pics of my boat, and i'm at work, so I guess i'll have to wait til I get home to compare. Hell, if it's not raining i'll just see if the cover fits.

In the entire time I owned that boat I never once took the tower apart. If I had, I would have rested the front on the tower (using the pads on the windshield) and rested the rear on the sunpad most likely.

I've only folded the tower down one time.....the day I brought it home.

I propped the front hoop up on a support from the floor. I've had boat windshields implode from a lot less so I wasn't going to tempt it.

CIMG0455.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

I want and Evo cover, but I had to have something this season sooner than their lead time would allow. This is how my boat is sitting now.... please excuse the MC cover, it's what came with my boat (the MC cover is for sale by the way. Super cheap.)

20150924_193625.jpg

Well, I already ordered a semi-custom Sunbrella cover from Westland, and it was delivered a couple days ago. I just haven't had time to unbox it and fit it. Oh, and I ordered the vented pole kit with it, so I guess I'll have to take it to a canvas shop to have them cut the hole for it.