Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Rough water Malibu

Levi900RR

I know this has been unofficially discussed many many times but with the new hulls etc coming out I wanted to throw it out there. I've been vocal on this site about wanting something that would handle rough water better than my LSV. I really want to stick with Malibu, mostly cause of this web site, but I would entertain another brand if the quality and fit and finish was as nice.

Are the newer VLX's and LSV's much better than my 03 21 footer? I wish I could test drive some boats but I don't really have that option up here in the frozen tundra of VT :lol:

Appreciate the thoughts.

You will notice a marked improvement if you go to a 23. My experience with three different malibus.....the smallest was indeed the worst and the biggest is the best.

Deep Vs are great for rough water but the way they plow around.....I didn't care for the handling.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Also, the new VLX and LSV hulls have changed since your model year, you'll notice the added weight will significantly improve the ride.

I noticed a big difference in how much better my '10 is in rough water compared to the '01 I had. I do think the weight and depth helps it a lot.

I noticed a big difference in how much better my '10 is in rough water compared to the '01 I had. I do think the weight and depth helps it a lot.

This is what I need to hear! :rockon:

I just want to be able to come home in 7 MPH winds without breaking my back.

• Like 2

This is what I need to hear! :rockon:

I just want to be able to come home in 7 MPH winds without breaking my back.

Yours is one of the worst rough water Malibus... definitely the worst of the vdrives. Great on gas, easy to tow, excellent wake with just a little weight.... but man when it gets rough it's like a buckboard.

The bigger bu's are better but still nothing like a deep V. My MB was significantly better in wind chop than the LSV. But as LBJ notes, that boat also handled like a barge. I feel like the LSV is a good trade off between the two extremes.

• Like 1

Good feedback, I don't really tow it so that's not a super concern. If I was going to upgrade to an LSV what years did they start getting better in the chop? The 23's that are early 2000's like mine don't seem that much different than my boat...

People need to realize also that these boats are of course flatter on the bottom as you go back from the bow. In choppy, white-cap conditions most true wakeboat owners will drive around 15-18mph with the bow up getting pounded and slapped. If you would just fill your bow ballast and center tank to get the "V" part of the hull down more to cut the chop you can also increase your speed by a little to get more on top of the chop instead of plowing barely on plane. It also gives the boat a more solid ride. If you are in fact driving your boat in pretty heavy chop with empty bow or center ballast, I'd question your common sense. I have no issues crossing 2-4 miles of open water in 20-30mph winds to get to protected waters.

Edited by AJWest

I have used my center ballast and it does improve the ride a bit. My issue isn't running 2-4 miles though. Its when I go 20 miles out to dinner and the wind changes / picks up and I have an hour ride home.

I have used my center ballast and it does improve the ride a bit. My issue isn't running 2-4 miles though. Its when I go 20 miles out to dinner and the wind changes / picks up and I have an hour ride home.

Understandable. My home lake while at 29 miles long only has a few miles of exposed, big open water at a time and the rest cliff lined so you can tuck in even in 30-35mph winds its glass against the cliffs. Sounds like you have a large exposed lake in general with not much protection. On days with high winds I launch at the ramp closest to the protected water to cut down my rough water boat ride. Do you have that option of different ramps or are you docked?

... If you are in fact driving your boat in pretty heavy chop with empty bow or center ballast, I'd question your common sense...

Have you ever been on a huge lake that gets massive waves? I've been out on this lake when i first got here. Extremely windy day. I was naive to being on a bigger lake because I was raised on a much smaller lake. On this lake, the waves can get big enough they'll kill you. When I went out that day, the waves were big enough and came fast enough that if I had put weight in the bow or center ballast I would have speared them. Instead of getting the snot beat out of me I would have speared them and taken on wave after wave. I got about 200' out of my cove and finally got the common sense to turn around and go exploring another day.

I wouldn't question the common sense of someone who rides without bow or center ballast. Maybe they're trying to survive...

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Have you ever been on a huge lake that gets massive waves? I've been out on this lake when i first got here. Extremely windy day. I was naive to being on a bigger lake because I was raised on a much smaller lake. On this lake, the waves can get big enough they'll kill you. When I went out that day, the waves were big enough and came fast enough that if I had put weight in the bow or center ballast I would have speared them. Instead of getting the snot beat out of me I would have speared them and taken on wave after wave. I got about 200' out of my cove and finally got the common sense to turn around and go exploring another day.

I wouldn't question the common sense of someone who rides without bow or center ballast. Maybe they're trying to survive...

I said chop...not swells, not waves so don't try to flip words

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't try to do anything other than interpret what you wrote. Didn't realize that meant I was "flipping words". Sounds like someone's got a case of the end of season salty.

I traded up from a 21' deep V Crownline to my LSV last September. My Malibu is superior to my Crown in virtually all ways, but the rough water ride isn't one of them. I would say that this boat beats the snot out of you compared to a sterndrive, regardless of what you do with ballast or wedge. Just one of the trade offs of a tow boat.

I own a 2002 VLX. I live on a large lake that gets rough. If your main mission is 20 mile rides to dinner then the best Malibu for you is a Cobalt!

Having said that I just ordered a 2016 VLX. It's 1500 lbs heavier then the VLX we both own and that helps a lot. It's a big improvement but still not a substitute for a 18 degree dead rise at the stern.

And I noticed a big difference from my old 2010 to my 2015, Bigger hull design and more free board seams to help out a bunch,