Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel filter on 2002 Response with Monsoon 340

I can't find the damn thing and the manual lists two options. I assume since I can't find a screw on anywhere it is an in line filter. Can someone confirm this with a model number I might be able to pick up locally. Also where is the durn thing.

My boat seems fuel starved at higher RPM and I think there is an issue at the filter.

Thanks

I can't find the damn thing and the manual lists two options. I assume since I can't find a screw on anywhere it is an in line filter. Can someone confirm this with a model number I might be able to pick up locally. Also where is the durn thing.

My boat seems fuel starved at higher RPM and I think there is an issue at the filter.

Thanks

Chef - depending on early or late production 2002, your filter should be a Wix 30299 (which is also sold by Napa as a Napa Gold 3029). Your filter would be located in the trunk, behind the rear carpet panel. The panel is held on by screws across the top into the fiberglass, about every 6-12". Start on the left side (port) and work across to just past the middle and you'll be able to flex it forward just enough to replace the in-line filter atop the fuel tank. If for some reason the Wix 30299 is to big, (pre-2002 boats used a 3/8" line) the smaller dia. filter is Wix 33033.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Thanks

Chef - depending on early or late production 2002, your filter should be a Wix 30299 (which is also sold by Napa as a Napa Gold 3029). Your filter would be located in the trunk, behind the rear carpet panel. The panel is held on by screws across the top into the fiberglass, about every 6-12". Start on the left side (port) and work across to just past the middle and you'll be able to flex it forward just enough to replace the in-line filter atop the fuel tank. If for some reason the Wix 30299 is to big, (pre-2002 boats used a 3/8" line) the smaller dia. filter is Wix 33033.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Thanks

Aw crap. Pete is right, I was going on obviously bad night memory. Filters are Wix 33299, made for Napa as a 3299, (not the 30299) The pre 2002 is a 33033.

Sorry,

Peter

Ah Ha!

Did you see where I mentioned you by name and the question mark?

p.s. most of that info. I just copied over from Ski Dim. That's where the prices are coming from.

Edited by Pistol Pete

pete (or pete),

i noticed in that doc that it is mentioned that skidim sells the filter with the seals. do you have to use those seals? When i took my old filter off this year, there were no seals in it, so i didn't put them on when i installed the new one, but it seems as though i "smell" a bit of gas this year (and hopefully this won't start the smell gas vs no smell gas debate of EFI engines again).

thanks

I've replaced my fuel filter a couple of times via getting parts from the dealer. Whatever filter they gave me didn't come with o-rings. Ski Dim did send them along so, I figured, I'll replace them when I'm replacing the filter.

If you're talking about the filter that is mounted to the side of the engine that requires two wrenches to remove and install the fuel lines then, you should definetely have seals at both line connections.

yup, that's the filter, and my old one didn't have them. i guess its a good thing i saved these!

Edited by jgouveia3

You can re-use the seals a coulple times. I changed 3 filters with the original seals before I bothered to get the dealer to order me a set.

Okay I am going to take a crack at fixing this tomorrow (I have been away since Thursday). I didn't see a thread on filter on the engine. Is there one somewhere hidden or just the in-line filter.

Thanks

Your year boat is the cross over from when they went from two filters to just the one with the barb fittings. You may not have the thread on filter. Basically, if you follow the fuel line from the tank to the barb filter and then to the pump and then to the fuel rails and you don't see another filter, you've only got the one.

Well I got the new fuel filter on and the boat is much better but not perfect. I get a slight burp around 3400 RPMs if I really hammer it out of the hole. If I bring it up smoothly like I would with a skier it seems fine and the same is true if I run it up from 20 mph to 40 mph.

I am going to drive it a little and see how it performs. I haven't pulled a skier yet so I will also do that and see.

Thanks for your help.

By the way the Carquest 86299 is the same as the Napa 3299.

Edited by Chef23