Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with Shifter Knob for '05 RLXi

post-15634-0-42287200-1443383996_thumb.jpost-15634-0-28203000-1443384016_thumb.j

The knob on my shifter has come apart. I can't find the manuals that show how this goes back together. The top chrome piece (in my left hand) is threaded and it looks like the threaded shaft or bolt has fallen into the shifter shaft but I can't get it back out. Any ideas on how to repair or take apart the shifter further to put it back together? otherwise.....it's glue time!

The piece that is left on top of the lever will screw off the top of the lever. Inside it you should find a socket head screw that's meant to be holding the knob assembly together.

There's two parts making up the bit that's still on your shifter. I think they're glued together. The 5/32" socket head screw should be trapped in there - you'll have to jiggle it around or whatever to get it into it's hole...

IMG_0550_zps3tjypzvb.jpg

Edited by GreenMan

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to remove the aluminum cylindrical part that is on the shaft now off by spinning it counterclockwise? Then I should see the remaining parts inside the aluminum cylindrical part to reassemble everything?

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to remove the aluminum cylindrical part that is on the shaft now off by spinning it counterclockwise? Then I should see the remaining parts inside the aluminum cylindrical part to reassemble everything?

Yep. Just screw the aluminium bit off as you said. There should be one screw rattling around in there - manipulate it so that it's poking back out the hole (I used a bit of wire through the other hole) and screw your knob back together. Tighten firmly with a 5/32" hex key. Then just screw the assy back onto the shift lever.

Edited by GreenMan