Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me value my boat.

kwebster1

So am I a dreamer? It's seemingly so. I'll throw up the link to my Craigslist ad so you guys can see everything that is done to my boat. My main niche is the fact I have the true GPS controlled surf system and without spending butt loads, you can't buy a boat with it. Mine is a 2000 23lsv. I'm not 100% set on selling but thought I would just "test the waters" pun fully intended. Spoke to a couple dealers, one by me said that it would be valued less now because they would have to remove the surf system and patch the holes I had to drill to mount the gates. Another said it would MAYBE retail for 27k. What's weird to me though is the sunscapes and sunsetters, which IMO are not quite as nice unless you want direct drive, have asking prices in the low to mid 20s on Craigslist by me with similar or even older years! So what should I ask for this boat? This may help me decide if I will truly sell. I am aware that my current asking price is high but it was all just to start negotiations. Sorry admin if post my CL add isn't allowed. Not trying to necessarily sell on this post. Just looking for input.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/5197607503.html

I'm not the most experienced but I have been looking all summer and fall at LSV's and VLX's model years 2005 to 2014 (I look everyday a cross north America, totally addicted... Don't judge me..)

IMO from what I've seen it's priced quite high.

You're in the same price range as:

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/edmonton/2006-malibu-wakesetter-lsv/v?adId=1103792331&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1443294572280

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/cranbrook/2005-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/v?adId=1103156895&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1443294572280

Both of those I found very quickly and are in Canadian dollars so with exchange you are priced higher and I'm confident you could get some off the asking prices of those Boats. They have the newer hull, hard ballasts, and not such a dated look.

To me the LED lights and sound system add no valuevalue. I that's very debatable but as a buyer I'm not willing to pay more for those upgrades.

Your surf gates are a nice feature but no way I'd even consider yours over either of those and many more newer models listed in the USA. Just my 0.2c.

Here's a similar year/model, higher hours. You do have some extras, but IMO you are too high. I think you'd need to be 29k or less to get some interest. Just my opinion.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2000-Malibu-LSV-23-for-sale-austin-Texas-48901.aspx

Edit: If my budget was 38k for a 23' boat, I wouldn't be looking at a boat over 15 years old.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Malibu-23-LSV-for-sale-Ventura-California-51212.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Malibu-23LSV-for-sale-Lake-City-South-Carolina-48676.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Malibu-Sunscape-23-LSV-8.1L-Engine-and-Ballast-for-sale-Excelsior-Minnesota-50514.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Malibu-23-LSV-for-sale-Clermont-Florida-49564.aspx

Your surf system is a plus, but it's easy to get an aftermarket system for $500.

Edited by Sixer
  • Like 2

Have you looked around at what other Escape LSVs are priced at? On a quick search I'm seeing competition for your boat on the market but it's $15K less. The dealers are correct that custom stuff doesn't interest most buyers so you are correct in identifying you have a niche boat l.

Even taking what you have done to the boat I think you are adding too much value to those items on a 15 year old boat. The age is what's pulling the marketable value down.

You said you were not set on selling it but what was the goal of listing it? With a non competitive price I'm guessing no serious buyers have come to see it (not sure how long you have had it on the market).

I absolutely get everything you guys are saying and it all makes sense. While everything I did to the boat was mostly just out of fun and a "hell I could do that" attitude, I was just hoping it would maybe bring in a little interest. Like I said, I know it's priced way high but with they way Internet works these days, most people think a half off offer is a good offer haha. I was just seeing what was out there. I'm afraid you all are right and it'll need to be somewhere in the 20s.

I absolutely get everything you guys are saying and it all makes sense. While everything I did to the boat was mostly just out of fun and a "hell I could do that" attitude, I was just hoping it would maybe bring in a little interest. Like I said, I know it's priced way high but with they way Internet works these days, most people think a half off offer is a good offer haha. I was just seeing what was out there. I'm afraid you all are right and it'll need to be somewhere in the 20s.

If you price it fair it will sell at a fair price, The last boat I sold (my father in law's) was listed for one week, sold to the first person that called and only 500 off list. A high list price will come with a low ball offer if any, a fair list will come with a fair offer that can be negotiated.

You have a nice boat, it shows well but if you are serious about selling you need to list in the mid 20's and expect a starting offer in the mid to lower 20's.

Good luck if you are serious if not, have fun on your next upgrade and that wave.

REW

You could list for 29-30k and maybe get some interest. It has been said a million times on here anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. The right buyer may come along and like your upgrades and be willing to pay a premium for them but the average buyer in the used market is looking for a deal.

That said it seems like you are in a good position not being set on selling it. I have mine listed too (probably for too much also) but I am absolutely not trying hard to get rid of it. If it sells great I'll upgrade. If not I still have a super nice boat to enjoy for another few years.

You could list for 29-30k and maybe get some interest. It has been said a million times on here anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. The right buyer may come along and like your upgrades and be willing to pay a premium for them but the average buyer in the used market is looking for a deal.

That said it seems like you are in a good position not being set on selling it. I have mine listed too (probably for too much also) but I am absolutely not trying hard to get rid of it. If it sells great I'll upgrade. If not I still have a super nice boat to enjoy for another few years.

This is basically how I feel. I guess most my of recent sells and sells of friends are people cutting prices in half and it's just annoying. Either way I honestly love my boat and if I can sell for what I have in it and upgrade then fantastic. If not, if have an awesome running surf gate boat for 1/4 of the price of new!

I'm not the most experienced but I have been looking all summer and fall at LSV's and VLX's model years 2005 to 2014 (I look everyday a cross north America, totally addicted... Don't judge me..)

IMO from what I've seen it's priced quite high.

You're in the same price range as:

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/edmonton/2006-malibu-wakesetter-lsv/v?adId=1103792331&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1443294572280

http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorboat/cranbrook/2005-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/v?adId=1103156895&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1443294572280

Both of those I found very quickly and are in Canadian dollars so with exchange you are priced higher and I'm confident you could get some off the asking prices of those Boats. They have the newer hull, hard ballasts, and not such a dated look.

To me the LED lights and sound system add no valuevalue. I that's very debatable but as a buyer I'm not willing to pay more for those upgrades.

Your surf gates are a nice feature but no way I'd even consider yours over either of those and many more newer models listed in the USA. Just my 0.2c.

The Orange VLX is my old boat. That was a great boat.

I think its too high. The extra's are nice, but they aren't from the factory and at the end of the day its still a 2000.

Beautiful boat, but thats a steep price for what it is. I think the rule I've heard for add-ons for a car is don't expect more than a 10% return.

Mid 20's.

Mid 20's max. Although the boat looks nice, it is 15 years old. It looks nice which will help but if I wanted all the extra stuff I can find it on a much newer boat for the price you are asking.

Also, those who are in the market for a 15 year old boat know the price range and value. For many all the extras bring little value to the base price. They may speed the sale though

At your price you are looking for the one buyer who will pay that price. That person probably doesn't exist. Price it into the market where buyers exist.

I would not even call you based on the asking price assuming that you are not serious about selling. I would suspect a good selling price would be 24K.

And of course, putting it for sale at 24K means that some people are going to offer you 12K. But that is the nature of the beast, and you don't want to sell your boat to some loser who sees the price of 38K and offers you 25K.

Edited by TallRedRider

I had my boat listed for quite a while, and had ZERO half price offers. Do people really do that? My boat was a 2012, and was priced higher, but I didn't have any people try to low ball me at all. I think most people who are truly in the market for a boat (big deci$ion) know approximately the value of the boats they are looking at, ballpark at least. As said above, if you listed there and I was looking to spend 25k, I wouldn't even call you or look twice at it listed way over what it should be. Good to be in the position of not needing to sell it though. You could go down in price, see if you get any interest, and go from there. Good luck!

Many folks, myself included, will look at nada and buc values as a starting point on the used market. Some boats are worth what those values list, some not. Some are worth more. Also remember asking price is just that. Could be a bi difference compared to sold price. Last year one boat was priced at 6k more than the out the door price to me if I bought it, but I declined. I took an offer on the one I bought for roughly 5k off of asking price. The guys here pretty much nailed the value of what I would pay and what the owner or dealer would take so they helped me pretty well.

There is no pre-04 LSV on earth that's worth more than say $28K. And that's the very best one. If yours is not the very best one on Planet Earth, it's worth less than that, especially in the fall.

• Like 2

I wonder if it has anything to do with the different areas we all live in. Myself and friends of mine selling stuff here and there constantly get just stupid stupid offers. I hear it all the time. Oh well, yes I don't need to sell. I really do like my boat so maybe I'll just hold out for a relatively decent offer and do price reductions here and there. Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Thanks for posting the link, now I can see what surf wake is possible if I added surf-gate to my boat (I've got the exact same one).

It does make a really good wake. Maybe not quite the 2014 wake hull and newer but...still pretty awesome. Do thread searches on here man. You'll get loads of great info. Definitely recommend you hit up martinarcher. Great guy, full of knowledge. Any other questions you can give me a shout and I will do my best.

There is no pre-04 LSV on earth that's worth more than say $28K. And that's the very best one. If yours is not the very best one on Planet Earth, it's worth less than that, especially in the fall.

Pretty sure.....mine is the best one on planet earth.... insert beer clinking emoji here....on my phone, doesn't give me that option.