Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 engine identification

Owner says it's a Raptor and I'm saying bs unless it was replaced which I highly doubt but not 100% sure about. This is in an 11 A22 that a buddy of mine is pretty serious about.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/ndawg12/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-09/7E854D78-3D45-4F95-AE94-EB64F5C196DC_zpsupseli5i.jpg

Edit- Sorry I'll try to directly post the pic in the morn when I'm on my puter.

Edited by Ndawg12

My 2011 A22 has a Raptor 400 in it as well. Its not the new the Ford version. Axis used a chevy 383 as their upgraded motor in 2011 before the LS3, they called it a raptor. Its a beast. I think it was similar to the Hammerhead 383 Malibu used for a while but with some different parts. You can tell it its a raptor if it has knock sensors on the block drain plugs, if it doesn't its the standard 330. Again, not the same motor as the Ford Raptor 400's they are now putting in Malibu's.

Hope this helps

Edited by prion

All, the 330 and 400 in 2011 look the same from the top. The identifier of the 400 is knock sensors on the drain plugs. If it has them its a 400.

Are you sure on this statement? My 2004 SSLXi had a Monsoon (Chevy) 340 with a knock sensor on the starboard drain plug. This cannot be the only identifier.

Are you sure on this statement? My 2004 SSLXi had a Monsoon (Chevy) 340 with a knock sensor on the starboard drain plug. This cannot be the only identifier.

And the 320 LCR probably did not. I always thought the LCR has never had knock sensors and everything else did. BICBW

Wedge88,

I cannot comment on the Malibu 340 engines. I only have knowledge of the 2 engines offered in the 2011 A22. The smaller (330 hp)did not have the knock sensors on the drain plugs. The 400 raptor did on both sides. I'm sure there are other identifiers, I just know this is the easiest one for me. To the OP you could probably get the serial number and call Indmar as well, if you are still unsure.