Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best VDrives that are 20ft

jslipher

We are looking at a lake house near St. Louis that has heavy boat restrictions. We currently own a '09 VLX, but it will not meet their max size limits. I know it sounds crazy moving to a lake that would require us to switch to a smaller boat, but there are no other options in the area where we can commute to work and we'd really love to have our boat sitting in our back yard rather than a lake house 3hrs away. Anyways, the restrictions are 20'9" long, 3,200# dry weight, and 351 cubic inch motor. I confirmed that the VTX is out because it exceeds the weight limit (they will not be flexible on the max), although they do accept the Sunscape 20LSV (registers for 3,200#). Do you know of any other boats that may meet this and be great boats still? I feel we may be spoiled by our VLX. For the record we only wakeboard and wake surf.

Are there any restrictions on ballast and wake making devices too? Also how big is the lake, is it man made and what water sports are you interested in doing? If there are wake generating device restrictions beyond what's listed above it may further restrict what you can do on the lake.

If it's a man made lake the restrictions are there to protect the lake. A wake boat on a lake that is not designed for it can erode the shore and cause the material to "fill" in the lake making it necessary to dredge the bottom or drain it and re grade the bottom.

I think the suggestions so far are about it save for an older Moomba Outback V. They used to clock in under the specified weight limits. Based on what you listed I'm willing to bet surfing is frowned on if not prohibited.

Heres an ar

If it's a man made lake the restrictions are there to protect the lake. A wake boat on a lake that is not designed for it can erode the shore and cause the material to "fill" in the lake making it necessary to dredge the bottom or drain it and re grade the bottom.

We have that going on on our natural lake. I've only lived here 11 yrs & seen it dredged twice.

Heres an article WB Mag did a couple years ago on 20' wake boats.

Dont people put rip wrap up to help with this?

I imagine it varies, but on small lakes, I would imagine it probably is rough on docks and moored boats, as well. I imagine most of the restrictions probably pre-date wakeboarding, but were put in place to keep bigger boats from making overly big waves. Like any HoA, covenants are put in place according to a groups set of values. I would imagine more property owners would prefer a relatively tranquil lake to the ability to have big wake boats there. I know we didn't even consider any houses on the main channel when we were shopping, and we ended up at the back of a cove. Not saying that would be what I would want if I were on this lake, just saying that is why they are so common.