Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for 6.2 Raptor?

whatshesaid

More help guys.

My 2016 23LSV with the 410 Raptor, Trans ratio 1.76, current prop clearance is 1 1/16" from hull, and has Prop 2249 (15 x 14.25, .105 cup) Looks to be the same as the good'ol 1235 just 1/2in larger dia.

This prop just seems odd on the boat. Cruising at 22mph, and turning 3800rpm (boat is empty). At idle the boat doesnt hardly move either. Also at full ballast #2950, and a driver it sure seems like that engine is at its max to surf 11mph (wedge 2 click passed ramp)

I feel like its completely the wrong prop, or the boat just needs more HP/TQ?

Any other Raptor boats out there? If so what prop did your dealer install?

so this is your dilemma. it really depends on you and how you use your boat.

If you run mega heavy ballast, and go to a bigger prop(more diameter and/or pitch), your hole shot performance will/may suffer.

If you don't run mega heavy ballast, you can go with a bigger prop, reduce RPMs and get a higher cruising speed and save gas for all your activities. Surfing is a bit more forgiving in going to a bigger prop.... 23-24mph wake going mega heavy is much harder on the boat and going too big of a prop you'll turn your boat into a slug. 12-15mph is the wall you gotta get over.

Or you can go a little bigger and try to strike a balance between these two sides of the spectrum. Really depends on how you use your boat. from the sounds of it, yours is prop'd for fairly high performance.

This is likely going to be a common topic this year. The tranny change will result in almost 20% higher RPM IF EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS THE SAME. The 2247 vs 2249 should not be super dramatic change in RPM. The 2249 already has .105 cup the 2247 is .150 cup.

I am fighting same scenario right now with my '15. I changed 2249 for a 15x17 to lower RPM, i actually overshot the mark. The 15x17 actually slightly increased my RPM, my suspicion is the engine note has to work so much harder to spin 17" pitch that i lost the efficiency i was trying to gain.

My next test will be an OJ 15x15.5 (2277 equivalent). This is a fine line between performance and efficiency. If you go too far performance will suffer, not far enough and you are running 4000 RPM all day.

Happy hunting

Our 2016 23 LSV came stock with a 14.5 x 14.25 - 1235 HA prop, and we are at 1078 feet above sea level. Not sure about how props affect performance, but my 2016 definitely operates differently than my 2010 247 with a 450 hp motor.

The 2016, with full ballast, can pull someone out of the water with ease, since it runs on high RPM's (3500-4000) most of the time. I am hoping to purchase a prop that will bring down the RPM's, so we can go to the lake, be lazy and cruise. My boat is very much set up to carry a lot of weight and perform while someone is surfing, but it is not good for long distances or speed..I have no problems with hp or torque.

Edited by bbattiste247

I am having the same issues with my 16 23 LSV. I upgraded to the 2249 straight from the factory but while cruising it seems the RPMs are a little high. Let us know what you find out. Interested in seeing the results

Tried to get my dealer in the mix with TRying a 15.5"dia prop, and i would test them, but they didnt want to buy the props!

ACME said i need to try #2847 15.5 x 15 cup.75, or #2849 15.5 x 15.50 cup 105 (both are new props) The service manager at my dealer WSA said 13/16 is not enough clearance, buy ACME says it is. Dealer said even with the 15" prop customers are damaging the hull after minor hits....?

Increasing size reduces RPMs marginally. Increasing pitch reduces RPMs substantially. However, you're trading performance for RPM-reduction. I think they make a 15 x 15.5. I'd go that route, personally.

Increasing size reduces RPMs marginally. Increasing pitch reduces RPMs substantially. However, you're trading performance for RPM-reduction. I think they make a 15 x 15.5. I'd go that route, personally.

Except at surf speeds...... When surfing, the prop slips a lot. Increasing diameter makes way more difference than changing pitch. However, cruising, and even wake boarding, the prop isn't slipping a lot, so a pitch change makes a more dramatic difference.

For instance, My X23 came with a 15x17.5. It was turning 3800 surfing, but only 2800 at 22 (unloaded). Top speed was about 48. I changed to a 16x16 and dropped my surf RPMs to 3000-3100, and it still maintained about 2800 at 22, and topped out at 47. Made a HUGE difference on fuel consumption while surfing.

This doesn't sound like the case for the OP. His is just all together propped too low. And I would be scared to have less than 1 inch of prop clearance...... Not so much from a prop strike standpoint. I would be more worried about cavitation stripping the gel away. I have certainly seen plenty of hull damage on other boats from that. (Mostly small pits/holes in the gel)

Edited by TenTwentyOne

Except at surf speeds...... When surfing, the prop slips a lot. Increasing diameter makes way more difference than changing pitch. However, cruising, and even wake boarding, the prop isn't slipping a lot, so a pitch change makes a more dramatic difference.

For instance, My X23 came with a 15x17.5. It was turning 3800 surfing, but only 2800 at 22 (unloaded). Top speed was about 48. I changed to a 16x16 and dropped my surf RPMs to 3000-3100, and it still maintained about 2800 at 22, and topped out at 47. Made a HUGE difference on fuel consumption while surfing.

This doesn't sound like the case for the OP. His is just all together propped too low. And I would be scared to have less than 1 inch of prop clearance...... Not so much from a prop strike standpoint. I would be more worried about cavitation stripping the gel away. I have certainly seen plenty of hull damage on other boats from that. (Mostly small pits/holes in the gel)

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. You may notice I suggested a bigger prop too. A 410 in an LSV is going to be working pretty hard with an overpitched prop, but, if he wants to come down from 3800 at 22 unloaded, pitch is the only way to do it.

• Like 1

1021- what engine did you order in your new 23? looks like you get a 17" prop either way

Went with a 550. Surprised to hear it comes with a 17x17 just like the others have with the 2:1. I was thinking they would do a 17x18 or something with a little more pitch, now that they put the 2:1 behind the 550. She will be a stump puller for sure. Way overkill.

Are you Empty or loaded when running that RPM?

I have the 400 raptor and when i'm loaded and running 23.5mph mine runs 4100rpm with the OJ 945 and runs 42,4300 with ACME 2275

Although we are talking different boats.

Edited by DatTexasBoy

I'm a bit discouraged to read the raptor doesn't seem any improvement over the 350 monsoon if it has to be prop'd that low as was the 350 in my 15 vlx. Looks like the 575 is the only way to get a water sports and big lake cruiser.

This is likely going to be a common topic this year. The tranny change will result in almost 20% higher RPM IF EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS THE SAME. The 2247 vs 2249 should not be super dramatic change in RPM. The 2249 already has .105 cup the 2247 is .150 cup.

I am fighting same scenario right now with my '15. I changed 2249 for a 15x17 to lower RPM, i actually overshot the mark. The 15x17 actually slightly increased my RPM, my suspicion is the engine note has to work so much harder to spin 17" pitch that i lost the efficiency i was trying to gain.

My next test will be an OJ 15x15.5 (2277 equivalent). This is a fine line between performance and efficiency. If you go too far performance will suffer, not far enough and you are running 4000 RPM all day.

Happy hunting

^^^^^ this is the truth here. Trans ratios bringing in a whole new ball game from the old ways.

Has anyone been able to test at what point the props are too close to hull and creating wash out or a loss return on the gained thrust from bigger props. Reading some info and we should be 15-20% of prop diameter for clearance 2+ inches the more the better.. perhaps why the Gs improve more maybe? Also lots of variables to throw in the mix weight hull shape prop motors and gear ratio to name a few. I was planning to go up to 15x17 with the 555hp LSA but darksidea overshot and he has a 1.48:1 and I've got a 1.25 so less power technica. A Lil extra diameter needs a ton more power. I'm wondering if I should try a 14.5x16.25 to lower rpms keeping diameter out of the equation. I just wonder if prop gets closer is there waste or in efficiencies that come into play

I think the general consensus is you should have at least one inch. The new Centurions are roughly 3/4" from the factory, and no issues there.

Yep there are pics of prop rash... But it seems those cars are very rare.

When we had he 2315 wars on here in 2013... Lots of false predictions on Malibus and only having 1" of clearance....no wide spread reports of prop rash.

When diameter = pitch you are most efficient. The OJ 14.75x 15.5 gets real close. You've been kicking this prop thing around for a while.... Think you might wanna give one a try?

I'm new to all this but this was the second weekend on my new 2016 23 LSV. I went with the 2249 prop and I did pay close attention to the RPMs and performance this weekend. The first weekend was more about break-in. I have the 410 raptor as well. And I was thinking that the RPMs were running a little high also.

When I was just cruising empty I was running 30 mph @ 4000 RPMs. When we would load everything up and I have 750 bags also we would run 10.2 mph @ 3800 RPMs. That was with the wedge at the 3rd spot. I could put the wedge on ramp and it would lower the RPMs to 3500. Haven't really looked at it with wake boarding yet. I usually cruise at 28 MPH. I dont really have to have that top end speed. I'm just wondering if this is good or can I do something different. I thought it was a little high on the RPMs at 30MPH.

On the water again in my 2016 23LSV with 410HP. im still cruising 22-23mph @ 3800RPM, but where i was wrong is i thought the engine was running almost wide open at surf speed 10.8-11mph.

I was driving and had a surfer behind the boat as we went under a bridge, and the GPS cruise control did not read correctly, and the boat got up to 14mph very quick with my wife surfing, and she did not like that at all but was able to ride through it.