Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help on my 360

Raimie

Kuddos to everyone sticking those 360s...fun to watch!:)

I am definitely a 1 out of 10 360'er.  My question for everyone is my board is a 5'6" koal fish.  Yeah, its ancient and probably way behind the times compared to all the new stuff out now but I love the board.  Would it be easier to do a 360 on a smaller board or does board size even matter?  I am 6'1" 205 lbs - anyone have a recommendation for a different board that would make 360s easier for someone my size?

I have a lake Powell trip coming up in September and would love to learn consistent 360s before then.  I also need to buy a new board for the boat and really have no idea what I should be looking at.  There are soooo many boards out now it is a little overwhelming trying to figure out what might be a good fit for me.

I managed to stick a 360 this weekend, first one ever! It was on a 2016 Ronix Koal Technora 4' 11" with a single 2.3" hook fin in the front center position. The board is a surf style vs. skim board, so moving to a single, short fin really made a difference. The mental difference for me was not surfing towards the boat, but surfing down the face of the wave, staying low, and turning my head to spot the finish. I knew #2 and #3, but the momentum riding forward vs. down the wake made the difference. If I pump/slash like I'm trying to go around the boat instead of towards the platform I can go faster, have momentum for the spin, and recover after the spin.

I'm in the "Clydesdale" class (6', 230 lbs) so the bigger board helps to float me, but for my next board I'm looking at a Victoria Captain XL or Factor PCX XL. I like the looks of the shape of the Factor PCX vs. the Captain, but until I get a chance to ride one (or both) I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The Ronix I have is showing wear so it may become the boat board with some big 2.9" fins.

Now I just need to get someone to catch my 360 on video so I can prove it happened.

Hey @Raimie

Just a little pointer but I think you should try and work on going a little more up the wave. So right now what’s happening is you’re spinning in the flats, this has it’s good and bad. Good being it’s a little easier to do the spin without catching an edge. The bad being it’s hard to continue the speed without flying out the back of the wave. 

So try and find the sweet spot where you go up a little higher and come back down. Now the hard part about this is lots of the time you will wash over the top of the wave really easily. So start your spin go up and “spot your landing” meaning nail the boat and try and straighten yourself out, gaining speed. 

On a skim style board the natural feeling will be to spin at the bottom as they’re a lot flatter and easier to spin. But the surf style you really gotta work it. 

Here’s a video of a surf style 3, try and focus in on the finish, particularly how I start low and finish up and the come back down.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:15 AM, Fman said:

Kuddos to everyone sticking those 360s...fun to watch!:)

I am definitely a 1 out of 10 360'er.  My question for everyone is my board is a 5'6" koal fish.  Yeah, its ancient and probably way behind the times compared to all the new stuff out now but I love the board.  Would it be easier to do a 360 on a smaller board or does board size even matter?  I am 6'1" 205 lbs - anyone have a recommendation for a different board that would make 360s easier for someone my size?

I have a lake Powell trip coming up in September and would love to learn consistent 360s before then.  I also need to buy a new board for the boat and really have no idea what I should be looking at.  There are soooo many boards out now it is a little overwhelming trying to figure out what might be a good fit for me.

I'm also a 1 in 10'er, and I've tried a bunch of different boards, but my success rate is about the same on a Ronix Longboard as it is on a Phase 5 Model X with a 1" fin.  The smaller boards will spin easier, but the rails are also sharper, so you are more likely to catch an edge.  And a bigger board will help you stay in the wave if you do nail the spin. I guess it kind of depends on what you need. Let me know if you find the holy grail.  I've been searching for two years without success, but it has been a great ride...

2 hours ago, Misirlou said:

I'm also a 1 in 10'er, and I've tried a bunch of different boards, but my success rate is about the same on a Ronix Longboard as it is on a Phase 5 Model X with a 1" fin.  The smaller boards will spin easier, but the rails are also sharper, so you are more likely to catch an edge.  And a bigger board will help you stay in the wave if you do nail the spin. I guess it kind of depends on what you need. Let me know if you find the holy grail.  I've been searching for two years without success, but it has been a great ride...

I'm actually going out tomorrow with a Victoria captain.  It will be fun to ride a skim style and see what a 360 feels like.  One of my biggest problems is I hate to fall, it's a PIA and time waster to come around and pick me up again...so I tend not to try many 360s because of this.  Most of the time we are out we have larger groups and I want to make sure everyone gets some good sets in.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Fman said:

I'm actually going out tomorrow with a Victoria captain.  It will be fun to ride a skim style and see what a 360 feels like.  One of my biggest problems is I hate to fall, it's a PIA and time waster to come around and pick me up again...so I tend not to try many 360s because of this.  Most of the time we are out we have larger groups and I want to make sure everyone gets some good sets in.

totally.  and trying is the only way to get better.  My favorite days tend to be when we have four people.  

On 7/30/2018 at 8:57 PM, Smitty4UK said:

@Raimie, Thanks for starting this post. I have been working on my 360 since last fall and this post has helped me make some adjustments and today I finally landed my first 360. It probably took 360 attempts, but I did it! Here it is:

Looks like lake cumberland?

2 hours ago, Padge said:

I was commenting on smitty4uk’s video. I believe he is from Lexington ky. 

Yes you are correct, that is Lake Cumberland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, Padge said:

Cool, I live in Somerset. What part of the lake was that?

We are at Burnside Marina. This day we were by the power plant right over by the marina.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Fman said:

@Smitty4UKwhat board are you riding in your 360 vid?  btw, well done!

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been in "Kid's Back to School" mode more than "lake" mode lately.

I ride a 53" Phase5 Model X. I demoed a few different boards and it was by far my favorite. It is carbon fiber so it is super light. I ride it with just the center fin. My wife thought I was crazy for what I paid for it, but now she uses my board and said she can tell a big improvement with it.

1 hour ago, Smitty4UK said:

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been in "Kid's Back to School" mode more than "lake" mode lately.

I ride a 53" Phase5 Model X. I demoed a few different boards and it was by far my favorite. It is carbon fiber so it is super light. I ride it with just the center fin. My wife thought I was crazy for what I paid for it, but now she uses my board and said she can tell a big improvement with it.

I am going to try and demo one before I decide... I really liked @isellacuras Victoria Captain I rode a couple weeks ago... $825 for a skim board is nuts... although definitely looks like a nice board!

1 hour ago, Smitty4UK said:

We are at Burnside Marina. This day we were by the power plant right over by the marina.

I bet I’ve seen you.  This is my boat, we put in at burnside islandF772B144-0F5E-4CB8-BD52-81B94938BF02.thumb.jpeg.6b0237af4b6cf2edfc243fab6a4e2cde.jpeg

Edited by Padge
37 minutes ago, Fman said:

I am going to try and demo one before I decide... I really liked @isellacuras Victoria Captain I rode a couple weeks ago... $825 for a skim board is nuts... although definitely looks like a nice board!

Yeah I know. I bought the demo so I got it for $639 out the door. Still a lot of money but much better than the MSRP.

12 hours ago, Fman said:

I think the factor or factor PCX are better options for you. I don't think you need the extra size of the captain like i do. Factor rides very similar but is smaller and a little more nimble. I'd say a large, maybe an XL. I was even able to ride the XL factor PCX that @wakemitch brought out to one of the TMC days but it was a bit more work for me than the captain is.  @shawndoggy rides one in the standard variety and i think he likes it pretty well. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Raimie said:

FINALLY!!!

That is amazing, so glad to see you nailed it!  We were actually out your way this weekend but a few canals over on the Canadian side in the Johnston.

Edited by riot138