Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help on my 360

Raimie

So this is what most of my attempts look like:

I end up being up on top of the wake and quickly loose the wave. I know I need to pump right away, but I am loosing it before I even have a chance. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

you may want to come a little closer to the boat to start you turn, that will give you a little more room to work with at the back of the wave for the recovery.

edit, BTW. That's a great looking wave

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

Raimie great work

Your getting around easy, spinning your head and looking for the boat very smooth now try it with a bit of forward motion.

Come from back of wave towards boat and that bit of extra speed will keep you in the sweet spot with out having to pump

Here is a sort slow mode video showing what I mean

Cheers

• Like 2

I end up being up on top of the wake and quickly loose the wave. I know I need to pump right away, but I am loosing it before I even have a chance. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

you need jump higher in the front yard... :)

Every single time I end up on top of the wave like that it is because I didn't sink my hips enough.

• 2 years later...

So... almost 3 years later and I'm still working on this...

Here is the latest from today...hoping that one of these days, I'll stick it...

Edited by Raimie
ahopkins22LSV

Your rotation looks good and balanced. I don’t think you had enough or really any forward momentum. I’d bring a little more speed forward another foot ish to the boat and the do that exact spin and I think you’ll get it. 

• Like 4

Let me start by saying I am complete beginner at surfing but a decent wakeboarder and I have been watching a ton of how to vids to try to progress a little faster.  So I may be completely wrong with this but it looks as though you are carving into the wave and not flattening out.  Apparently that is a common mistake.  see 1:42 in the attached video

Edited by riot138

You are soooooo close.  360s are different for everyone so if this tip does not help just forget it.  

Once your back is facing the boat shift your hips twords your front foot.  That will help keep push while you are rotating and if all goes well you will finish almost in the same spot you started the spin.  

For me the front foot pressure is all I concentrate on for 360s. 

Edited by vanamp

It’s all about your eyes/chin.  You’re looking down as you initiate the spin.... then you’re looking at the nose of your board as you spin.  When you put your hand down, keep your chin up and look over your right shoulder as soon as your hand initiates the spin.  Look it alllllll the way around.  Your body will follow your eyes/chin. 

The other thing you can work on is not leaning over so much to start your spin.  Try to squat a little more.... and bend a little less.

Typically I’d say to never reach down with 2 hands (just the front one)because it allows that back shoulder to open up earlier.... but you kinda look like you’re comfortable with it...

Those 2 things are really all you are missing.  The eyes/chin are the biggest thing. Everything else looks great and you do an awesome job of keeping your body “quiet” during the spin.  A lot of people get panicky and off balance...  

Hopin to come back after the break and see you’ve got it!  Good luck! 

• Like 3

As a couple people have indicated you are looking down a bit much. Helps not to bend as much at the waist, and if you can, do not use your front arm, keep it out front, which will help you keep your shoulders up.

Just using your rear arm is much better technique/style. Think of the wave like a pole you are spinning around with one are. This will keep your rotation more centered.

Initiate the rotation close to the boat and with more forward momentum. 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Great job!  You are getting close.  The spin looked good, but as people have said, get more speed from the back of the wave, execute the spin a little closer to the boat, and get ready to lean forward once the nose comes around.  That will help you stay in the wave.  I've had the same problem with getting washed through the wave.  I can hit it--sometimes twice in a row, but then it will elude me for several tries. It's a lot to think about at once, but if you keep trying, you will get it!

I hope by the weekend to have this down....using just the rear hand has been going well. I still struggle with where my eyes are focused. Sometimes I manage to look up but still catch myself looking down. I have played with getting more speed towards the boat before and initiating the spin, but on this board if I do that I slip out. Something I'm still working on...

New board I bought for my hubby's birthday is sweet. He hasn't been able to to ride it yet, but I am really enjoying 'The Captain'.

VID_20180723_111909380.mp4

25 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

That water is so clean.  We may need to schedule a boat play date in the near future!

I'd love to have you guys out! Yes, the water is awesome. You can see down very far and it feels clean as well. Downside is the temperature... gotta be tough lol.

You need to take a break from working on 360's and practice pumping and recoverys.  You "landed" that 360.

When you find yourself falling back, bring your back foot forward to the front edge of the traction pad. It will give you a little extra push. 

• Like 2

Lol! @Raimie Awesome video. Im at the exact same spot you were in your first video. what are you doing with your rear hand? Scooping? Just leaving it in the water to pivot off? Did you move to your heels after your first 180 portion? 

Im excited now!!!

21 hours ago, Hermi88 said:

Lol! @Raimie Awesome video. Im at the exact same spot you were in your first video. what are you doing with your rear hand? Scooping? Just leaving it in the water to pivot off? Did you move to your heels after your first 180 portion? 

Im excited now!!!

Rear hand does a little scoop to initiate the turn. I don't move my heals, just stand pretty neutral on the board. Good luck! Post up a video!

What is causing you to fail most times? Over rotation, going over the top of the wave,  losing the wave when you get all the way around?

Try to slow your rotation down a bit. When you get to 180*, you should have your weight transferred to your heals. Concentrate regaining forward momentum here. by riding down the wave slightly (like you're riding switch for 1/2 a second. Then finish the spin and get the weight back on your toes.