Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Platform, Yay or Nay?

ahopkins22LSV

Teak Platform  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Teak?

Cant say that I've had anyone stand on the platform with a board on, they always sit on it with board in the water. Skiers stand on it all the time, and the grip is a whole lot better on the rubber than any teak I've been on.

I will admit to never even thinking of waxing the tiny bot of platform that isn't covered with rub rail and rubber.

How do you get your board on?

I have to say, I don't feel bad for a second when a noob is putting on a board and me or one of my kids is showing them how and they are sitting on the transom and dragging that board back and forth over the teak deck to get their boots on. It's part of the wear and tear, and sands right out. If it were a FG platform, I think I'd be cringing.

So for that reason alone - I vote teak.

How do you get your board on?

Sit on platform, stick feet in bindings one at a time and tighten them up. Doesn't seem like rocket science;) But maybe some bindings are harder to get on. The boys board has CWB Torq bindings and my wifes has Gator bindings

Edited by oldjeep

I have to say, I don't feel bad for a second when a noob is putting on a board and me or one of my kids is showing them how and they are sitting on the transom and dragging that board back and forth over the teak deck to get their boots on. It's part of the wear and tear, and sands right out. If it were a FG platform, I think I'd be cringing.

So for that reason alone - I vote teak.

I agree with this. The teak takes abuse from boards, skiis, whatever. Same reason people cruise around with those transom savers to protect the closest fiberglass. I don't care about people strapping in or anything on my platform, it can take the abuse. A lil sandpaper and sealer and its like new again. Although, I have a 98 so I don't let much bother me.

I have buddies with boats that have fiberglass swimsteps made in 2004 & 2003. The fiberglass isn't damaged in the least, after thousands of foil & wakeboard launches. The fiberglass is covered with a deck pad so the only fiberglass or gel coat exposed is around the edges. I guess it's rare that those edges get damaged, even with foils sliding over them. The sun & water will eventually damage the deck pad itself, but those are easily replaced every few years.

But my teak swimstep on the other hand...... one wakeboard fin & it's chipped in the middle of the deck. Sliding a SkySki on & off it & it's scratched up on both ends. Sure it sands out. But the boat is on the lake, not sitting in the driveway. So either I have to pull the boat out, let the swimstep dry out, sand it & oil it.... or it looks like hell till I get tired of it. It's not that it takes a long time, it's the fact that I have a dozen other things I'd rather be doing. I do boat maintenance when I'm not riding..... ie; winter time.

Spraying the teak with LineX & a deck pad was the best thing I ever did for it. It's been like 6 seasons & I haven't had to do squat to keep it looking great.

I have buddies with boats that have fiberglass swimsteps made in 2004 & 2003. The fiberglass isn't damaged in the least, after thousands of foil & wakeboard launches. The fiberglass is covered with a deck pad so the only fiberglass or gel coat exposed is around the edges. I guess it's rare that those edges get damaged, even with foils sliding over them. The sun & water will eventually damage the deck pad itself, but those are easily replaced every few years.

But my teak swimstep on the other hand...... one wakeboard fin & it's chipped in the middle of the deck. Sliding a SkySki on & off it & it's scratched up on both ends. Sure it sands out. But the boat is on the lake, not sitting in the driveway. So either I have to pull the boat out, let the swimstep dry out, sand it & oil it.... or it looks like hell till I get tired of it. It's not that it takes a long time, it's the fact that I have a dozen other things I'd rather be doing. I do boat maintenance when I'm not riding..... ie; winter time.

Spraying the teak with LineX & a deck pad was the best thing I ever did for it. It's been like 6 seasons & I haven't had to do squat to keep it looking great.

Bill

I loaded on my 06 teak every weekend. Gave it a quick wipe with a rag and fresh teak oil 1 time per weekend. Always looked great. I agree about foil board scraping both sides of platform but for me no issue as easy fix. 1 can of teak oil would last me over a year that way. Still like your Linex job though.

Were they able to make the LineX completely smooth or does it still have grooves from the wood?

I had them spray it with no grit at all. Turned out like an orange peel.... Plenty smooth enough to get a deck pad to adhere to it without ever peeling up. It doesn't fill in the grooves.

LineXed2.jpg

This is about as good as the teak would ever look.

AJonback.jpg

I had them spray it with no grit at all. Turned out like an orange peel.... Plenty smooth enough to get a deck pad to adhere to it without ever peeling up. It doesn't fill in the grooves.

LineXed2.jpg

This is about as good as the teak would ever look.

AJonback.jpg

Your teak looks like it was treated with oil based stain or something at some point..... Almost looks like a finish that has chipped and fallen off in places...... Not sure if that is the case, but it definitely looks funny.

Your teak looks like it was treated with oil based stain or something at some point..... Almost looks like a finish that has chipped and fallen off in places...... Not sure if that is the case, but it definitely looks funny.

I owned the boat for about 2 yrs before I did the LineX. Probably sanded it & oiled it with teak oil at least 4 times. It always looked awesome right afterwards & then for month or two. I had one gal slip & fall between the boat & the dock one time at Banks Lake. Eventually the sun & water would dry it out. The scratches always started showing up eventually.

• Like 1

I owned the boat for about 2 yrs before I did the LineX. Probably sanded it & oiled it with teak oil at least 4 times. It always looked awesome right afterwards & then for month or two. I had one gal slip & fall between the boat & the dock one time at Banks Lake. Eventually the sun & water would dry it out. The scratches always started showing up eventually.

Did you buy the boat new?? That's weird, I have never had one do that. I can see why you would get sick of it!!

I was worried about my first teak platform but always loved the one on my buddy's prostar. He bought the boat brand new in 05. He oils it 3-4 times a year, and it still looks brand new. Boat has like 1800 hours on it now. I think he sanded it one time a couple years ago.

Did you buy the boat new?? That's weird, I have never had one do that. I can see why you would get sick of it!!

I was worried about my first teak platform but always loved the one on my buddy's prostar. He bought the boat brand new in 05. He oils it 3-4 times a year, and it still looks brand new. Boat has like 1800 hours on it now. I think he sanded it one time a couple years ago.

I bought the boat with 160 hrs on it. So I don't know what happened prior to that. But a neighbor of mine has a 2003 VLX that looks the same way..... times 10. He just doesn't give a damn. But he has said multiple times that he loves how good mine turned out.

I gotta think the big difference with the Malibu & MC swimstep is the slots. Oil them both & the slotted swimstep doesn't end up as slick as the Malibu swimstep.

• Like 1

Well, I am going to pass on this. I appreciate all of the input from both sides. I don't know if I would like the look with the bright blue and silver flake to be honest. And I didn't show my wife that there was a platform available so she didn't pressure me into it :rofl:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Sit on platform, stick feet in bindings one at a time and tighten them up. Doesn't seem like rocket science;) But maybe some bindings are harder to get on. The boys board has CWB Torq bindings and my wifes has Gator bindings

Is this what everyone does?? I just throw the board on the platform and stand up while getting the board on then hop in the water.

• Like 2

Is this what everyone does?? I just throw the board on the platform and stand up while getting the board on then hop in the water.

I don't know anyone that sits on the platform and puts the board on in the water. That would be much more cumbersome.

BTW, I have had teak on 5 different boats and I voted NAY! The more I am around padded FG platforms, the more I like them.

Edited by Brodie

Never seen anyone i know do it standing on the platform. Sounds like a pain in the rear sitting on the hatch and then hopping off the platform, but at least now I understand why people think transom protectors are a needed item.

Never seen anyone i know do it standing on the platform. Sounds like a pain in the rear sitting on the hatch and then hopping off the platform, but at least now I understand why people think transom protectors are a needed item.

Thats how I put my board on and will say that platform is slippery as hell with teak.

856-03014105em-Low-angle-perspective-of-