Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Platform, Yay or Nay?

ahopkins22LSV

Teak Platform  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Teak?

I think your boat looks great as is....But I voted yay for teak. As someone else said, if you store your boat in a garage or covered away from the elements there is

virtually NO maintenance required. I literally wipe mine down with a light coat of teak oil as the last step before putting my boat away after each outing. Takes less than 1.5 minutes, and it looks like a coffee table like the one pictured above by another poster. My boat lives in a covered shelter and never sits in the sun except the days we are using it. I have sanded it down twice in 9 years. The first time because I slathered it in teak oil so much during the first season and the wood was too slick to begin with and a couple people complained...sanded it with 80 grit...still looked great and not slippery. The second time was last year because I spilled

an unknown substance on it and it ate through the teak oil and left a stain in a spot the size of a quarter...bothered me so 80 grit once again.

Anyway if you can swing it get teak and keep your fiberglass so you can switch out from time to time.

Beautiful boat....the dd ski boats Malibu makes look the best to me on the water....sleek and sexy....not big and bloated!

Well....

I voted no. I LOVE teak and would have loved a teak platform on my RLXI. Maintaining it isn't bad but does require effort. All that said, do you really want to drop several hundred bones on a teak platform?? Your boat looks sick as it is.

• Like 1

Anyone know if you can buy a composite platform to use instead of the teal on my LX for the weeks I am on the water for weeks at a time? I would keep my teak to show off on day trips when she will be dried off and in her garage home that night.

Not much work, but after a couple of weeks of being in the water and having skis and boards dragged across it, it doesn't look that poop hot. However, ten minutes out of the water and she's mint again.

Anyone know if you can buy a composite platform to use instead of the teal on my LX for the weeks I am on the water for weeks at a time? I would keep my teak to show off on day trips when she will be dried off and in her garage home that night.

Not much work, but after a couple of weeks of being in the water and having skis and boards dragged across it, it doesn't look that poop hot. However, ten minutes out of the water and she's mint again.

Check Great Lakes Skipper....I've seen them there before.

Well....

I voted no. I LOVE teak and would have loved a teak platform on my RLXI. Maintaining it isn't bad but does require effort. All that said, do you really want to drop several hundred bones on a teak platform?? Your boat looks sick as it is.

No I'm not but how many times have you said, "Honey I'm not going to buy that because I don't think it's a good purchase or I don't want to." Aaaaaaaand then you buy it.

Btw I haven't told her I'm considering this and any of you that know her, tell her I will be sending you an invoice. Payable in beer, gas or money.

• Like 2

Lol I think you were just looking for excuses to post pics of that beautiful boat. Weren't you :tease:

And I wanted to show you that even homeless looking bearded men sporting a tractor supply co hat are welcome!

You didn't put that on the G...did you?

I love teak. Built my own teak platform for the X23, and will be doing the same for my G23.

My friend has a huge cabinet shop, and we can whip one up in like 2 hours with his equipment.

i have teak and love it, I couldn't see having it any other way. Only had to oil it twice this year.

Taking care of it isn't even that bad. I usually pull the platform on a Sunday night. Then every other night during that week I go out have a beer in the garage and put a coat on. by the coming weekend its soaked all the way in and I'm good to go for a couple of months.

I voted Nay, mostly because this post sounds horrible to me (no offense to mountaineerhill). Pull it on a Sunday, put a coat on every other night for a week, then only good for a couple of months? Sounds like additional maintenance I don't need. My 'Bu needs enough maintenance as it is, no need to add more to my plate!

I love teak. Built my own teak platform for the X23, and will be doing the same for my G23.

My friend has a huge cabinet shop, and we can whip one up in like 2 hours with his equipment.

Post Pics...that will be unique

In this thread- Taking 5 minutes to oil a teak platform 3-4 times a season is "extra maintenance". What about all the scratches/scuffs/marks on the edges of your fiberglass platforms? Do you just leave those, or do you buff them out? What about waxing the gel on the platform? Or do you skip that?

There will be those that say "I don't scratch my platform", which means you put your board on in the water, and you never do dry starts when surfing. That's all good, but not very handy. It's a pain to put a board on in the water..... Sure, it doesn't get scuffed much, but it does get scuffed. Every FG platform I know of is marked up from wakeboards/surf boards.

I had a FG platform on 2 of my boats, and between waxing every couple weeks, and buffing once a year, it was more maintenance than teak. But that's just me.

Cant say that I've had anyone stand on the platform with a board on, they always sit on it with board in the water. Skiers stand on it all the time, and the grip is a whole lot better on the rubber than any teak I've been on.

I will admit to never even thinking of waxing the tiny bot of platform that isn't covered with rub rail and rubber.

I put 3M clear bra on the exposed surface of my platfrom. So it doesn't get waxed and isn't scratched. There were a couple marks on the 3M product, I will probably replace it with a new piece next season.