Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Platform, Yay or Nay?

ahopkins22LSV

Teak Platform  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Teak?

My wife loves Teak. I am looking into options. Do you guys think it would look good on our boat? I like it as well but not sure how it would look on ours. I think I have some better pictures somewhere that I can dig up

image_31.jpg

image_51.jpg

image-107.jpg

I vote nay. Even though I normally prefer teak, that color blue on your boat is beautiful and the deck matches up perfectly. Don't change it.

Or, change it for something different, find a used deck somewhere, and then it's pretty easy to re-sell if you decide to go back. Do you have a wedge and a need for the wedge door?

• Like 1

i have teak and love it, I couldn't see having it any other way. Only had to oil it twice this year.

Taking care of it isn't even that bad. I usually pull the platform on a Sunday night. Then every other night during that week I go out have a beer in the garage and put a coat on. by the coming weekend its soaked all the way in and I'm good to go for a couple of months.

Edited by mountaineerhill

I'm not voting. I don't want to skew the poll because, honestly, I'm unsure. I love teak. I think it is beautiful when cared. I also think it would look good on the boat; however, it isn't anywhere near as functional. It takes work to keep up and the current platform gives you a lot more space than a teak platform would.

@NorrisMike - c'mon man get us up a photoshop of a teak platform on the boat. You could use boots as a surface area scale...

Edited by wakedncsu

I love teak and switched out the fiberglass platform on my sportster to a custom made (by my dad) teak platform. The fiberglass platform I had was coming apart and didn't cover the wedge all the way.

It looks awesome and would look fantastic on your boat, but.... there are downsides as other have mentioned. Personally, I liked the feel of the weathered platform because it wasn't as slick and a little easier to climb up on. Of course when its dry it doesn't look as nice though.

The padding on yours is really nice for the knees when climbing in and out. It will be missed.

If I were you... I would keep what you have since you are going to be getting a VTX before long. :yahoo:

On another note... in case you don't get the VTX... the maintenance time spent on the platform could be used mountain biking or doing something else you love. I know it might be a few more years, but if you guys decide to have kids, "your" time becomes precious and spending it sanding a platform and applying sickens to it a few times a year won't be a very good way to spend it.

I love teak and switched out the fiberglass platform on my sportster to a custom made (by my dad) teak platform. The fiberglass platform I had was coming apart and didn't cover the wedge all the way.

It looks awesome and would look fantastic on your boat, but.... there are downsides as other have mentioned. Personally, I liked the feel of the weathered platform because it wasn't as slick and a little easier to climb up on. Of course when its dry it doesn't look as nice though.

The padding on yours is really nice for the knees when climbing in and out. It will be missed.

If I were you... I would keep what you have since you are going to be getting a VTX before long. :yahoo:

On another note... in case you don't get the VTX... the maintenance time spent on the platform could be used mountain biking or doing something else you love. I know it might be a few more years, but if you guys decide to have kids, "your" time becomes precious and spending it sanding a platform and applying sickens to it a few times a year won't be a very good way to spend it.

Now why did you have to go and think all rationally? Those are some good points though.

Don't know if I would change from something that is on and working but if I was ordering I am all in for teak. It just has the look of o quality ski tug. And yeper I am another old fart!. With just a good teak oil it is so easy to keep up if you don't go years without maintenance.

I kept a can of oil and if I was not going to use the boat for two or three days I would just use a foam brush and put a coat on. Takes maybe 15 minutes. And I did it on the lift.

I made the mistake of using an oil with a hardening sealer it look good but now I will need to sand it down next time. :Frustrated:

Just get both :)) We're Malibu boat owners that encourage others to spend their money on excess non essentials (that's why we got a Malibu anyhow right? ;) and not a "Tahoe fish and ski combo". Some people have more than one set of wheels for their trucks, some people have the same pair of shoes in every color for every outfit, some people make it rain in the club. Whilst I fit in none of the above categories, I am by no means against it if that's your cup of coffee. I mean the worst that could happen is you sell the boat with an extra goodie for the next guy (think of it as bait), or ask the next buyer of the boat which one they want when they purchase, and sell the remaining one here for what you have in it or close to it...just an idea....

• Like 3

I voted yes, I think that a teak platform would like nice against that baby blue. It might give the boat a classic look, but many will consider dated. I enjoy the look of the wood and finishing it every once in a while though. I would keep around your existing platform for resell though.

I love the look of a finely made teak coffee table bolted to the back of a boat. But I'm not into drying it out, sanding it & then re-oiling it every couple months. If your boat lives on the water, thats what you will have to do to keep it up. If your boat lives in your garage or living room, then it will always look gorgeous.

And the couple days after it's been freshly oiled, you should increase your liability insurance on your boat. I can't tell you how many people I've seen slip & fall from a beautifully oiled teak coffee table.

• Like 2

My wife loves Teak. I am looking into options. Do you guys think it would look good on our boat? I like it as well but not sure how it would look on ours. I think I have some better pictures somewhere that I can dig up

image_31.jpg

image_51.jpg

image-107.jpg

Lol I think you were just looking for excuses to post pics of that beautiful boat. Weren't you :tease:

Haha I posted it because there is a new x2 on our lake that has teak that I hear about every time we are out and a platform just popped up for a decent price that would fit... But I do love looking at our boat :)

Just so you know, whatever margin teak looses by, multiply that by two and add that to the teak vote since that's what you wife's vote is worth. :lol:

BTW, I think that gorgeous boat would look fantastic with a teak deck!

Haha I posted it because there is a new x2 on our lake that has teak that I hear about every time we are out and a platform just popped up for a decent price that would fit... But I do love looking at our boat :)

Buy it and make a bar out of it.

• Like 1